Notices

It's those little things that make my day complete

Old 02-26-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

It's those little things that make my day complete

One of things I'm finding about sobriety is that I really appreciate the small things in life more so now then I ever had. For instance I noticed today my eyes look just a bit more clear and less puffy then they have in the past. I'm playing some music right now, and even though I've listed to it plenty of times before it seems more enjoyable like it did the first time I heard it. And the food I've ate today seem to taste a little better then usual.

It's a good day to be alive and sober! And I hope everyone else here is having a good day as well!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Great thread Bard!

One of the many, many gifts that I have received in Recovery is the ability to enjoy those simple things you were speaking of and also, no matter what is going on in my life, I am able to focus on the positive, not the negative.

There's times where I am just so happy to be experiencing the little things that I never appreciated that I could stand on a rooftop and just shout "I'm free!!!" In my signature is a quote of my favorite song as of late. It's by Sixx AM, the song is Permission from the Soundtrack of the book, "The Heroin Diaries." Every song is about the different stages of Recovery that Nikki Sixx, (Bass player in Motley Crue and Sixx AM) went through in his own struggles with addiction. When I hear the chorus, " . . all of my devils are free at last, all my secrets revealed, and your permission is all I need to heal." The song is about forgiveness and our HP. When I sing that song, I feel like a woman on a mountain top, just spinning around in a circle slowly, with her long, white dress softly blowing in the wind, arms spead out, enjoying each breath she takes . . . just so happy to be alive.

This is what Recovery is all about.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is a great day to be alive and sober. I've noticed how much more enjoyable the simple things of life are now that I'm not drinking, myself. It is a great thing isn't it? I'm so glad I can enjoy it a lot more than what I used to.
Wes
Old 02-26-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bard View Post
One of things I'm finding about sobriety is that I really appreciate the small things in life more so now then I ever had. For instance I noticed today my eyes look just a bit more clear and less puffy then they have in the past. I'm playing some music right now, and even though I've listed to it plenty of times before it seems more enjoyable like it did the first time I heard it. And the food I've ate today seem to taste a little better then usual.

It's a good day to be alive and sober! And I hope everyone else here is having a good day as well!
One of the small things I appreciate more is laughing. Just read your profile!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

a small thing for me is that I am rushiing less today. that is a big thing too
Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

No matter how hideous my day is I will stop myself and say, "But you're sober!" Makes me smile and take a deep breath every single time. I hope it always does.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Natural sleep........without the need to drink.

ahhhh...i love that

If i had booze id sleep for hours...wake up feeling like id been awake all night.

And if i didnt have booze........i wouldnt sleep anyway....

This went on for years...

So thats my small thing favourite......8 hours of natural sleep...wake up feeling human.....and i still have money in my pocket as a bonus.

Trucker
Old 02-27-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

....and when I curl up in bed at the end of the day....feel the warmth of my blanket, the natural tiredness seeping in......I feel....content. It's been a long time in coming......
Old 02-27-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resident

A little thing that struck me yesterday happened when I was out walking.
I looked up at pigeons on the wire because a few days ago I noticed that the pigeons on a wire were all facing the same way so I wanted to see if this is always the case.
Anyways they were just landing on the wire and a few landed facing in the opposite direction of the majority.
Most, except for 3 quickly turned to face the same way.
Two slowly looked around and then faced the other way leaving just one out of tune with the rest.
It was the smallest one. A fat pigeon on its right nudged it and it also faced the same way as the rest.
Talk about peer pressure.
I don't know what this means but it struck me as strange and strange I never noticed it before.
The only thing it has to do with recovery is that I was out getting exercise and not drinking.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

I enjoy being able to turn my head from left to right without being dizzy. I enjoy not puking.