Notices

Found another reason to not drink....

Old 02-25-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Found another reason to not drink....

So my wife's father is an alcoholic. He has drank for pretty regularly for about 30 years. He got really bad about 3 months ago where he started to get so much anxiety and paranoia that he wouldn't leave the house and he just drank. He went to a detox facility. Then went to a rehab clinic that he checked himself out of after like 4 days. He just got home after a 30 day stint at this really awesome sounding rehab/ranch place. Basically, you work on the ranch as well as get clean and sober. It keeps you occupied rather than sitting around in groups and meetings all day. He came home and told my wife that he was going to go to meetings, and had found God. He felt he was already through step 2. He asked how I was doing and told her that if I needed any support, someone to go to meetings with, or even someone to just talk to, that he would be there for me.........my wife just told me that he is drinking again. It breaks my heart to see her right now. She did all the research on these places, all the paperwork, paid his bills while he was gone, and it all seems like it was in vain. Now, I totally know what it is like to relapse. God knows we have all been there. But I really feel that I need to quit drinking so she can at least have someone in her life that was actually able to beat the addiction. I need to be there to support her, not have her just think of the problems with her father if I drink. It seems like yet another reason to stay sober. Thanks for letting me share.

Chris
Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I can only imagine what that can feel like to do all of that stuff for someone and then they relapse....because I did the same thing to my parents. But the best thing I did was get sober for myself and to show my loved ones I could do it not by saying so, but through action. That way they have the TRUE Paul. Thanks for the post....it hit home with me on so many levels
Old 02-25-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The most important reason to stop drinking
is for yourself. If u cant take care of u first
then u wont be there for anyone else as sad
as it may seem.

Take care of u first and the rest will follow.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, that just sounds like some bad news. But stay strong and sober man. Work on you so that you can be there and support her. I'll definitely be praying for you and the family and hoping all turns out for the best.
Wes
Old 02-25-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi Chris

Just a side note.... What you're father-in-law was exposed to during that time and the seeds planted in his heart and mind... are not in vain. It seems so right now, especially to your wife -- and I understand that! It's heartbreaking and discouraging! Not to mention disappointing and upsetting (to anger ever)!!! He can not "un-learn" what he has learned!

YOU are a gift to her, him, us and most of all to YOURSELF!!! You have so much to offer and strength you may be unaware of. Just remember, Chris.... this is a cunning, baffling, & powerful disease!!! WE can't do this without the help of another addict/alcoholic that's in recovery. We just can't! Remember to stay connected to support of those who have walked this path before you... WE need to have that connection to other "like us" or we'll perish. That's my belief anyways!

You've got a good, strong, loving heart! I'm proud to know you! Thank you!

:ghug3
Old 02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is a very good reason to quit. Thanks for sharing your this story, it shows me just how easy relapsing can be and to not take sobriety for granted.
It takes alot of work to be/stay sober.
God Bless!
Hugs to you and your family :ghug
XOXO
Old 02-25-2009, 10:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't end up like him Chris, keep strong and sober:-)
Old 02-26-2009, 12:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Not doing damage to one's family is a very good reason not to drink. Glad you are staying sober to be a support to your wife.:ghug3
Old 02-26-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Wow, I hope her dad finds his way again. That's such an example of the power of this disease...so sad after all that....I am glad you are using this as a tool, not an reason to give up. Stay on the path my friend.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Wanting to support your wife is truly admirable. But.....stay sober for YOU. Noone else. She still gains the benefits!

Stay strong, Castle Rock!