Notices

Confused or what!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confused or what!

Hi everyone,
im finding things so confusing because my friends and people i know say i have a drinking problem because of events that have happened. From reading things on the net and talking to certain people, they too say i should get some help.
I dont know if im making a deal out of nothing but in my opinion i can see what im doing and its not what i want for me.
Is there anyone who could give me some advice on how i should begin to kick this?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there I'm from the UK. It should be quite easy to find an alcohol counselor, a general counselor if not. If you have some money go to a private one will probably cost about 80 pounds for first session where they will give you straight up advice and determine where you are with drinking. If you don't have money go to your gp and he will recommend one through the NHS.

Few things to be aware of from my experience, being 37 and just getting sober last year.
  • Just cos you drink infrequently does not mean you are not an alcoholic, it is a progressive disease/illness/addiction
  • Just cos you don't drink in the mornings does not mean that you are an alcoholic
  • Cutting down, changing drinks, going out later, just drinking at weekends will not work and will waste your life trying if you are an alcoholic
  • Ignore pull yourself together, or why cant you just have a couple
  • Watch out for medical people who have no experience with drinking problems, e.g. GP, you need to insist that you see someone who has a track record with the problem.

Keep coming back here and updating us on how you are doing, you can tackle it now or later in life, if you want to be happy sooner rather than later do it now.

Same advice i got roughly at 27, it is very serious and you should treat it as the most important improvement you will make in your life. Bit about me i earn 6 figures, do whatever i want when i want and have no problem with the opposite sex yet 4 and a half months ago i was thinking of ending it all and the only thing that drove me to that was drinking a bit too much! Point is don't for a second think that because you are doign well at work, in relationship, at college whetever that you are ok, odds are you aren't

Keep coming back, you will get help here...that's it for now...nag nag nag lol!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your here at SR so you apparently realize you have a problem with alcohol. Addiction to alcohol is not an easy thing to quit obviously, it's not just a 'habit'....addiction is different. You gotta quit drinking right? If you don't it'll only get worse.

I made the decision to quit knowing I have an addiction and cannot control it. I made hour by hour choices in the beginning not to drink. Then I found this forum and began to share my struggles....I met people just like me and along with my ongoing choice not to take a drink, I came here and was helped thru the tough beginning by these fantastic people here...that are making the same healthy choices.

Decide to quit....and make the right choice every time the craving comes up. Don't drink.
Sounds simple...we all know its not, that's why all of us are here....to help each other.

We're here for you.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks

Thank you. Im greatfull for your replys.
I feel stupid because its just a drink but its causing so many problems and i cant control myself. But im glad i can see what its doing to me and there are people going through the same thing.
Thank god for sites like these
Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The advice about seeing a doctor for help was good advice. Finding face to face support, as in AA meetings or other recovery programs, can also help in staying sober. And take it one day at a time. Just don't drink for today. You can do this!

Welcome!
Old 02-25-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Sometimes people on the outside that you are close to can see what you are doing to yourself a hell of a lot better than you can. True friends will tell you these flaws in character or whatever you would like to call them....what you do with that information is up to you.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

nic, welcome to the family

nic
Thank you. Im greatfull for your replys.
gratitude is a great start on kicking it nic, and a requirement to help keep it Kicked!

good wishes nic

rz
Old 02-25-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nic,

Welcome!

It`s very hard to accept that you need to stop drinking, but please know that you can do it. We are here to help.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nic88 View Post
Hi everyone,
im finding things so confusing because my friends and people i know say i have a drinking problem because of events that have happened. From reading things on the net and talking to certain people, they too say i should get some help.
I dont know if im making a deal out of nothing but in my opinion i can see what im doing and its not what i want for me.
Is there anyone who could give me some advice on how i should begin to kick this?

I think "normal" people (setting on a washing machine) do not wonder if they have a problem. If you wonder, you just might. My advice is to kick this before it kicks you. I say this as a person with the "jitters," as they say in AA. Just please do keep posting and stick around. This is a great group of people.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Quitting alcohol is the wisest move I ever made.
Living sober and healthy is sooo much better.

Glad to see you here with us...