I'm New.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I'm New.

First off, I am glad I was able to find a site like this, very dedicated to the family members of the people that are affected by alcohol.

It might take me a little while to open up here, due to the situation.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Welcome
Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Formerly known as soconfused11

Glad you found us, welcome!

:ghug3
Old 02-24-2009, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. Pull up a chair, take your time, and there are some great informational stickies at the top of this forum to read, that I found very helpful.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alright, maybe a little.
My husband is a 2nd generation alcoholic (as far as I'm aware). I personally do not like alcohol that much, there isn't a desire to drink in me at all. We have friends and family who drink, however due to financial reasons we don't hang out with them at bars or clubs. I refuse to purchase any alcohool when I go to the grocers so I don't feel I am an "enabler" of the alcoholism. However, I'm noticing that friends/family will buy drinks for him, and his family will encourage alcohol in his life (buy merchandise).

He just told me that he recognizes he has a problem with alcohol, and has on his own admittance (without me pushing/forcing him) has said that he recognizes that he can't have one drink and he see's it coming close to destroying his life. This morning he asked me to toss all the alcohol in the house that we had, which I was more than willing to do. He first said that some are just mixers and there isn't really a need to toss, but I told him anything related to the alcohol consumption isn't good to have in the house and I tossed everything - a total of three garbage bags. I still have our wine glasses, and ice buckets in the house - should I put those in storage?

I told him that I will fully support him to help him get better, and he did the first thing, which is admit that he has a problem. I also told him that you can't change the world in a day, so we will take it one day at a time.

Thanks for your patience with this...
Old 02-24-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

You will find plenty of support and information here at SR. I found the stickies at the top of each section very helpful. The wisdom of others who have walked the walk and talked the talk.

I am a recovering alcoholic, married to an active alcoholic. As part of my recovery I educated myself on alcoholism. Reading everything I can get into my head. I found this thread under our alcoholism section very helpful in understanding how an alcoholic becomes physically and mentally addicted:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

As someone dealing with an active alcoholic, I have started attending Alanon meetings. Not to fix the alcoholic, but to work on me. My issues, my life. Alanon encourages non-addicts to learn about alcoholism, too.

Make yourself at home; read and post as needed.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! So good to have you here!!
I have not been here long myself, but I've learned so much in a short time.
I hope you visit regularly and find support here as I have.

Alice
Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey there

glad you are here!

I mainly lurk and read and then have a fit of posting, it has taken me years to open up, so take whatever time you need!!

:ghug2
Old 02-24-2009, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello!

I am also new here, and so far everyone has been very supportive and understanding, and given me so much to think about.

Welcome!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
cmc

MrsWorriedLily:
As you can see, from the replies, there's tons of support here for you on this forum. I hope you will continue to share and read about how others are facing these common issues.

Welcome to SR.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi MrsWorriedLily,

You are taking some wonderful first steps -- reaching out to a community of support, being supportive of your husband's efforts to begin dealing with his problem, etc. Congratulations.

Hang in there and stick around with us....there's lot of support here as you move through this process. Share as much or as little as feels right to you.

Hugs,
GL
Old 02-24-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! There's lots of experience, strength and hope to partake of here -- Sounds like you are off to a good start!

freya
Old 02-24-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I am new here also. I have only been visiting for about 3 weeks. I have learned soooo much in that short period of time. I think you will find everyone here very supportive and helpful.

I look forward to reading about your progress.