Notices

What to do?

Old 02-23-2009, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do?

Having 3 teenage boys is a crazy life for anyone, but......

I DON'T THINK I'M GONNA MAKE IT.lol

I'm not having thoughts about using, because sobriety is a must, but I'm feeling very sensitive to normal teenage behavior (if there is a normal teenage behavior)

Am I supposed to be feeling "how in the world am I going make sure they end up being good men"?

I'm crying one minute, laughing the next....

Irrational? Probably, but my fears just the same.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I only have 1 teenage boy and many days I feel like I'm not gonna make it! And on the really bad days, I'm not sure HE'S gonna make it!

Yes, IMO, you should be feeling, "how in the world am I going to make sure they end up being good men". Because that means you care and you want good things for them and you're doing your job as a parent. I want the same thing for my boys (little one is only 6).

Crying one minute and laughing the next.. you DEFINITELY live with teenagers! Hang in there. I've been told they eventually grow out of it.

TooMutch started a really good thread about being in recovery while living with teenagers. It's here in the Newcomer's Forum somewhere.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good to know Im not alone! I will check that out. Thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Teenagers are really difficult to deal with and the teenage years can seem endless.

Just know that it's okay to be worried and concerned. You'll get through this.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Being a mother of teens is challenging. Sounds as if you have their best interests at heart. Please know that it is normal to feel overwelmed at times; believe me I know. All of us parents of teens are in this together.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks toomuch. I just found your earlier thread....
Old 02-23-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Life...

I thought I'd never see a sun shiney day at times with my kids in their teens! But there were... and there will be for you!

It just seems never-ending sometimes, huh? It seems like these years will last forever and how can they ever change and grow-up "right". I was/am a single parent throughout their life, by choice. People would say, "Isn't it hard for you?"... I'd say "I don't know... I don't know any different". It is what it is AND THEN IT CHANGES! My kids are 20 and 21 and although my son (20) is having a horrific time in his life right now, the people my kids have become... I'm so proud of! They put a smile on my face and heart!

This is a tough time for you right now! Suggestion??? Please please please take care of yourself. I know you're not having "stinking thinking" but what I mean is find time FOR YOU... Stay connected with others that are close to you that you can go to the movies with and sustain healthy good friendships. Pull together with others as just talking about parenting will help to lighten your load!

Lots of HUGE HUGS!!!! :ghug3:ghug3:ghug3
Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Nikki. It does seem endless sometimes. I'm not ready for them to grow up yet. I just wish these last few years would have been different. Don't we all, huh?

I think the reason I am so down is because most of the people in my life I was closest with have pulled away from me right now, waiting for me to mess up again. I understand how they feel, but it doesn't make it hurt no less. They're saying, we love you, but....
I love them just the same and hopefully I can pull my closest relationships back together once I have some sobriety time. I have no problem getting sober, it's staying sober. Why should they believe it this time??

Anyway, thanks again. Congrats on day 5, by the way!!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by lifeinchaos View Post
I think the reason I am so down is because most of the people in my life I was closest with have pulled away from me right now, waiting for me to mess up again.
Life,
I believe our loved ones WANT to believe we're gonna make it and are too afraid to put all their hope and faith into us all at once (again) because it hurts them so much when we fail OURSELVES and then them.

One day at a time, my friend. That's all we can do now, ever really. That's what we HAVE to do and is the only way to get further away from the pain we've caused ourselves and loved ones. Healing comes in time, in every new breath we take sober. Every day a new day dawns... what choice will we make with that new opportunity that presents itself with a clean slate every new day? If we don't drink, then it opens us up to a whole new world to discover in ourselves, the people around us and the life that is there before us. Sharp memories will start dimming.... New memories will start being made, sober!

Take care of you and lots of hugs! :ghug3:ghug3:ghug3