Notices

Hello from Upstate NY

Old 02-23-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello from Upstate NY

I'm not sure where im supposed to post my intro so Im going to post it here and hope I got the right spot. I am here to not feel alone anymore and try to understand why I feel like I have to enable my parents everytime they get into a rut. I am an "only child" (w/ a sister somewhere out there I've never met b4) Im 24 and my whole life since I can remember I have babysat my parents . My whole life my father has been in and out of my life and he hasn't been much of a worry but now he has decided to move to Ny and stay to see me more often. So in turn this means I have to babysit Both instead of just my mother. Their alcoholism is so severe that they randomly have seizures if alcohol is not available for 2 days. I am concerned obviously because I love them but also because I am loosing my mind. Everyone thinks I need to talk to a perfessional but I simply cannot afford that , No matter what I do I can't stop enabling my parents and its ruining my relationship with my boyfriend and inside its ruining me because I know either way its going to kill them I just dont know what way to turn . MY life has become a nightmare and I keep asking myself why me ? :praying
Old 02-23-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome desiad, I know that you will find all kinds of loving support and advice on this site...it has helped me change my life. I don't know much about your situation with your parents...but I'm sure they're are many here that do...and can help you with specifics. But this is a great place to start...your always welcome here.

Love and peace to you tonight....welcome.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Welcome to the site

Don't let them guilt you into enabling them
Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Enabling is such a controling word...we get clean and sober and then we or someone else allows us to see a behavior or thinking that keeps our life unmmanageable. I know for me I was very co dependent when I got sober (didn't even know it) and was told all about enabling behavior I displayed. I was very blessed to have a wonderful counselor who helped me through this. After a while I fell back into "taking care" of someone who was not sober, and soon was losing me and going crazy. Alanon saved me...I remember always now....That I didn't cause it...I can't control..I can't cure them. I can only take care of me, and turn them over to a HP. If you can't afford counseling, try alanon, they will show you how they deal 1 day at a time with an active alcoholic.

Tough love and letting go is very hard to do alone, try alanon is the best advice I can give you. Blessings and prayers to you
Old 02-23-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Is there any professional person you can talk to that won't charge you for 'counseling'? Like a minister or social worker? A friend of the family who knows what's going on? There has to be someone you can talk to so you don't have to bear this burden all alone, or indeed, bear it at all. Your parents need some serious help and you're not the one to give it to them. Besides their needing medical intervention, they have to want the help themselves.

This is too big a burden for you to bear. Having seizures from lack of alcohol is a very serious problem and you shouldn't have to be the only one in a position of responsibility. Can you contact your sister and get her help?

I will also suggest you post this in the Friends and Family forum as the people there have been and still are in your shoes and may have better advice for you than I can offer.

I'm glad you found us.:ghug3
Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to sR..

Please check out the link below

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

That's where you will find information and lots of support.

Good to see you here with us..