Notices

Who are the alcoholics

Old 02-22-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who are the alcoholics

Just a humble thought

I tried AA for a couple of months and it didn't sit with me at all, higher powers, alcoholism is a disease, 12 steps etc etc, although I met some lovely helpful people there, this was not for me. That was two years ago.. I have drank far too much for the past ten years, perhaps not to the point where I have lost all, or very much for that matter as a result of drinking, I have never been to skid row etc, I have never given up and admitted I am powerless over alcohol. However, I have spent far too much of my life either drunk, thinking about how to stop or nursing a hangover, which makes me think I'd rather do without. I guess more people than we care to imagine know or suspect that they drink too much today, but how many want to think or label themselves as alcoholics, how many people think that AA is out of the question in their life, I know I did initially, I am way beyond that point now, I have tried it and its jut not for me, I niether care for the word alcoholic.

Doctors will recommend AA, but that would horrify so many people. When we give up smoking there are now support groups, but there is no stigma with being a smokaholic, I know as an ex smoker I am one fag away from 20 aday, so surely the addiction is similar. I think sometimes society needs to move forward and we need a change our perception of the word alcoholic (as no one can diagnose this), then, those of us that dont wish to drink can mingle at parties and in society, without being frowned upon as having a drink problem, especially from other drinkers.. This surely is an upside down view.... Thanks for listening...
Old 02-22-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting take. I don't have any answers for you.

I don't call myself an alcoholic to most people, I just say I don't ever drink.

Take what you need and leave the rest.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
God is leading the way!!!

, call yourself whatever you want to but just give yourself a chance to be sober. I dont go around telling everyone "Hi I'm and alcoholic" I just know that I have a problem controlling my behavior when I drink and that my life has become unmanageable. When I go to meetings, I go with the intention to listen and by listening I find out that I am not alone with this addiction and that we do recover....

I wish for you the best.:ghug3
Old 02-22-2009, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Iriss: i am an alcohol addict.. i don't really care for the term alcoholic.. but.. i guess since i'm an A.A. member i accept the term.. i began smoking pot at a very young age.. this was my first addiction. if you need to quit drinking.. then you need to quit drinking.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic and proud of it! I'm not ashamed of it at all, i am careful, when i explain why i don't drink at work only because in most peoples minds that means i live on a park bench and drink meths!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I too am a proud alcoholic. I have no shame at all about the term. I'm proud because I know that without "owning" that fact, I would never have found the level of serenity and composure that I now experience in my life. I have matured as an individual directly because I have been challenged to face and recover from alcoholism.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Who are the alcoholics?

I certainly am....it's a simple fact.

I am no more ashamed of being an alcoholic than I
am to be a diabetic ...legally blind...and old.

I have much joy and purpose in my life
because AA recovery has given me peace
fun and direction.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iriss View Post
Just a humble thought

I tried AA for a couple of months and it didn't sit with me at all, higher powers, alcoholism is a disease, 12 steps etc etc, although I met some lovely helpful people there, this was not for me. That was two years ago.. I have drank far too much for the past ten years, perhaps not to the point where I have lost all, or very much for that matter as a result of drinking, I have never been to skid row etc, I have never given up and admitted I am powerless over alcohol. However, I have spent far too much of my life either drunk, thinking about how to stop or nursing a hangover, which makes me think I'd rather do without. I guess more people than we care to imagine know or suspect that they drink too much today, but how many want to think or label themselves as alcoholics, how many people think that AA is out of the question in their life, I know I did initially, I am way beyond that point now, I have tried it and its jut not for me, I niether care for the word alcoholic.

Doctors will recommend AA, but that would horrify so many people. When we give up smoking there are now support groups, but there is no stigma with being a smokaholic, I know as an ex smoker I am one fag away from 20 aday, so surely the addiction is similar. I think sometimes society needs to move forward and we need a change our perception of the word alcoholic (as no one can diagnose this), then, those of us that dont wish to drink can mingle at parties and in society, without being frowned upon as having a drink problem, especially from other drinkers.. This surely is an upside down view.... Thanks for listening...
Several interesting statements there, the most interesting being 'no one can diagnose this'

If that were true, you would have a fair number of folks here that wouldn't be posting, they would have died from dt's when they stopped drinking due the medical communitys inability to diagnose their alcoholism. While I am in agreement that in most cultures addiction issues are handled incorrectly, I have a hard time agreeing with blaket statements like 'horrify so many people'. I'm getting a strong vibe here that in your world the person most concerned with the stigma of your 'drinking problem' is you.

I am a grateful alcoholic. I have a disease, per the American Medical Association, British Medical Association, I could cite numerous sources here but why bother. While my disease may be incurable, it responds readily to a very simple treatment regimen, unlike diseases like diabetes, for example. If anyone out there has a problem with my status as a recovering alcoholic, that's really none of my business, and not my problem.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

However, I have spent far too much of my life either drunk, thinking about how to stop or nursing a hangover, which makes me think I'd rather do without
Hiya iriss,

Why dont you just do without then?? with respect, Im not sure what your asking. Are you saying you cant stop drinking but you want to find a different name for your condition or you can stop but want to know what an alcoholic is?
Old 02-22-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Old 02-22-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

it does not bother me a bit to tell anyone I am a alcoholic and I am sober today.Telling others I got sober in AA don`t bother me either.If we don`t tell them when the time comes it may cost someone their life,maybe they are hurting and looking for a way out,that way my alcoholism may benefit them
Old 02-22-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi iriss
when we EVENTUALLY accept that we are powerless, we also begin to accept that we are alcoholics. If your not there yet enjoy the trip.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's funny how sometimes we are more ashamed of being sober and moving life forward in a positive direction, than we were of being drunks or addicts. I wonder what that is about.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
It's funny how sometimes we are more ashamed of being sober and moving life forward in a positive direction, than we were of being drunks or addicts. I wonder what that is about.
Yeah, hilarious, someone mentioned that at my home group the other night, we wouldn't be embarassed to be seen outside the church drunk, peeing or puking in the bushes, but God help us if anyone saw us inside the church, sober and having a sit down with fellow alcoholics.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

yea,we certainly don`t want anyone seeing us carrying that big blue book in a meeting either
Old 02-22-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is an interesting conversation: the embarrassment factor associated with being an admitted alcoholic. And I get what you are getting at, Iriss. I've heard people lower their voices to mention that someone in the room--who is not drinking--has an "ahem, drinking problem." These folks doing the talking are usually drinking at the time, without a problem I assume. It reminds me of the way people used to talk about unmarried pregnant women and people with AIDS. I think it is ignorance that is fueling such talk, and fear. They want to distance themselves from perceived negative characteristics found in other people in the hope that that will make them--what? Safe, secure? We know that is a false security.

My thinking is that it is best not to think too much about the label and just work on the problem at hand--which for me is not letting myself talk myself into taking that first drink.

Thanks again for sharing.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi thanks for your replies, its helpful, and let me say I certainly didnt post this thread to offend any AA member and If my post read in this manner let me apologize. However I find it interesting that the majority replies are from AA members...Thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 12:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Several interesting statements there, the most interesting being 'no one can diagnose this'

If that were true, you would have a fair number of folks here that wouldn't be posting, they would have died from dt's when they stopped drinking due the medical communitys inability to diagnose their alcoholism. While I am in agreement that in most cultures addiction issues are handled incorrectly, I have a hard time agreeing with blaket statements like 'horrify so many people'. I'm getting a strong vibe here that in your world the person most concerned with the stigma of your 'drinking problem' is you.

I am a grateful alcoholic. I have a disease, per the American Medical Association, British Medical Association, I could cite numerous sources here but why bother. While my disease may be incurable, it responds readily to a very simple treatment regimen, unlike diseases like diabetes, for example. If anyone out there has a problem with my status as a recovering alcoholic, that's really none of my business, and not my problem.

I think the medical society can treat the DT's through alcohol abuse without diagnosing any condition. And I am really aware of my drinking problem and am beyond the stigma, my point I was trying to make is that I think a great many people will not get help maybe until they hit rock bottom because they are uncomfortable with the word alcoholic. Its not your status they concerned about but their own. Thanks and best wishes
Old 02-23-2009, 01:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Hi Iriss, I definitely was not offended, when I admitted I was powerless over alcoholic, only then did my life change, I was looking for the easier softer way for a long time. and put my self through so much misery. I thought there was terrible shame in been an alcoholic especially for a woman but I have more respect in my life now than ever. F 2 F I could probably explain myself better Iriss, sometimes its difficult here. You have not said if you are or are not an alcoholic....... and I for one, don't like to pull people off barstools. Its attraction not promotion. I already noticed A.A getting bad feedback here and I try not to add to that. I would hate for this to turn into another one of those thread.... It becomes so negative and I like to focus on the positive and stick with the winners. As regards the A.A responses...I can only answer for myself ...but your question was "who are the alcoholics" and then you made ref. to 12 steps and A.A. but said it was not for you. The initial question pulled me into the thread because I am an alcoholic, and it was like a automatic response for me to jump to that thread because I have no problem admitting to that today.... its like hands up the alcoholics....Yep thats me.. maybe the people in A.A are just comfortable with it and glad to know what they are today ...You said you met lovely helpful people in A.A and thats good. Try to hold on to that at least.... should you ever change your miind. I changed my mind quite a lot before I got sober....I have learned never to close a door I might need to go use again. If you were to call yourself anything what would it be...Im still insure what your issue is?? There seems to be a lot of other info here about how people try to get sober / cut back .....other ways.....try to keep an open mind, have a look around. God bless.

Last edited by nelco; 02-23-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I see your line of thought........for me it was ego related..

Even after all id been through...and when i first got sober...

And AA was mentioned.....i remember thinking.......ahhh..really.

Alright my drinking was a problem.....but AA....Thats for "them"

Thats the final option right?.........surely not........

Ha ha makes me laugh when i think about it......its difficult to see how my drinking could have been much worse...

And there was no more options.........i avoided AA for a Short time..and got drunk.

I am a chronic alcoholic....i say it....doctors said it....took a while to deflate the ego and accept it...

Apart from AA meetings....and my private thoughts...i dont mention it.

I just dont drink....the vast majority of people i come into contact on a normal working week have no idea im alcoholic.

It doesnt even get mentioned at home anymore.....i just dont drink.

I come on sr........last night i did some bb reading....tonight im off to a meeting...

And it doesnt really.....come up in my house....i just do what i do.

My alcoholism is all about ME and doesnt involve anyone else.

I do "my thing"........and it doesnt really come up in my normal every day life involving anyone else.

I think there is a stigma involved with alcoholism.........its seen as a weakness

Thats why anonymity is vital i think....for the would be AA member.

Does that stigma keep people out there drinking.........for sure..imo.

Im glad you have found your way of staying sober.....and i have deep respect for that.

I dont feel any shame or guilt for being an alcoholic.....these days.

Yes......maybe it would be great if the public perception changed towards alcoholism but i dont think that will be in my lifetime.

but i do think the public perception will change towards smoking in my lifetime.
it already has......people are starting to frown when i spark up a cig........

good wishes to you..trucker