Notices

Bad weekend, This isn't easy

Old 02-22-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad weekend, This isn't easy

So after a month sober, I was feeling great with a line up of things I wanted to do this weekend. Outdoor things, indoor cleanup, errands to do etc..

Friday I start limping like crazy with a severe pain in my leg/hip.
I think it's a return of bursitis which I had about 10 years ago and laid me up for over a month.

By Saturday, I can hardly stand up without support. Damn.
All the plans are out the window.

My wife who hadn't drank all week, buys 24 beer Friday afternoon.

Fridge full of beer...my favorite brand too.
Double damn.

All weekend, I've been stuck inside here, itching to get out and do something.
But, I can hardly move. The pain is intense, and I've got to tell you, those cold beer in the fridge were driving me crazy.

Wife has polished all her beer off now. She has to work today.

I'm still sitting in my chair, feeling kinda down cuz I can't do anything that I wanted to,and it hurts like hell just to stand up.

But I didn't drink alcohol.

I polished off a 12 pack of Ginger Ale, and a handful of Tylenol's (which did absolutely nothing to get me mobile again)

This isn't easy sometimes, but it's worth it when I think of the alternative.

Thanks for listening, I just needed to rant a bit.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a display of awesome willpower Richard - excellent stuff.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you Richard!:ghug3
Old 02-22-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are one awesome guy Richard. Congrats. on resisting that demon urge. I feel so sorry for you being in so much pain. Can you get something a bit stronger than tylenol from your doctor? I am feeling a bit angry at your wife for putting all that beer in your fridge right under your nose in your current predicament - very thoughtless I reckon. Could you have a quiet word with her explaining the situation it put you in?
I hear acupuncture is very beneficial for bursitis. Hope you get on top of it very soon.:praying
Old 02-22-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you, Richard. I almost caved so many times in situations like this. I know people tell you not to have it in the house, and that's probably wise, but I didn't want my husband to never be able to have his "few beers" once in awhile. He's a Normie. Each time we resist temptation we grow stronger. It's been said many times, but it really is true - the desire does ease up. Each time we get over a hump like that, we are strengthened. Proud of you, Richard! Keep it going.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mergirl

I remember thinking at one point "if he doesn't quit, I will leave him, but I am not going to quit just for him". Uhg, so unhealthy. You did fantastic this weekend, I hope she stops the fridge full of beer soon.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richard54 View Post

Double damn.

I have to ask Richard "Why?" Why did your wife do this? Obviously she's not trying to stop, but why did she buy "your" favorite brand and why so much? Maybe you have talked about this in another thread and I missed it, if so, sorry. I wouldn't have made it very long if my husband did things like this.

Any ways, glad you had so much will power. Good for you!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, I would see a doctor about that pain. DH was dealing with what he thought was a pulled muscle for several days, went to the doctor..after several visits and an MRI...he's blowing several disks. Not to be debbie downer, but playing doctor on ourselves can be a disaster.

Good for you for not drinking. It's not easy, but it is worth it.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Richard why didn't she go the whole hog and open one and put it in your hand, quality?! Well done on being strong
Old 02-22-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Four of my favorite words! I repeat those to myself so many times some days that I begin to hear it in my sleep! But it sure beats using dreams!

Good job on not popping a beer open. Glad you didn't take a seat on the pity pot, poor me, poor me, pour me a drink. I have Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthrits and I can sure relate to having plans made and then your body canceling them. I think it's a hip hurting weekend, mine has been waking me up with severe pain the past few days. But,this is where I keep reminding myself that This Too Shall Pass. I know there are better days ahead. Sure, it's hard at times but I also do a mental, sometimes on paper, Gratitude List, reminding myself that there are those who suffer from severe pain 24/7, those who are paralyzed and unable to feel pain or the joy of walking across the room.

Thanks for sharing this with us, it always helps others to see that they aren't the only one's who are having a tough time.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 02-22-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good job, that's wonderful that you were able to resist that urge! It gives me strength and hope everytime I see someone share something like this as I too am exposed to that kind of tempation and it's really difficult to say no when it's someone close to you, family, etc., and it's right in your face. Especially when you are having a rough day. Again good job, that's inspiring to me!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm getting the feeling my wife is kinda missing her old 'drinking bud'.

When I decided to quit, she said she would too, but it has yet to happen.
She will go all week with no booze, but on her days off, she still drinks.

This is fine with me, (well ok maybe not 100% fine).

Obviously I would LOVE it if she quit too.
It's not my decision to make for her though.

I've made my own decision, and I think she is just realizing her old partner in crime
isn't on board the party bus anymore.

I think she is hoping that I start drinking again.

Particularly since she offered me a beer yesterday TWICE, saying it might help
my sore hip?? I really couldn't quite believe my ears.

It was my own decision to quit drinking. I'm doing it for my own sanity and health.

If my wife wants to drink, or anybody else around me in my life, that is fine.

As long as they don't interfere with my own choice of sobriety I'm ok with it.

Deep down, I'm really hoping my wife will join me though.....I came sooo close to having a beer this weekend and I don't need the blatant temptation smack in my face at home. I'm kind of concerned about her own health also, she drinks too much.

Maybe I can get her posting on SR soon too.

Thanks for listening folks!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Richard you obviously love your wife very much so i hope too that she decides to follow suit and you can both move forward in the future to a happy and sober life together. As you rightfully said you have mde the decision for you and you have to only be concerned with your own sobriety and you are not responsible for anyone elses.

Keep strong and looking forward to hearing more adventures along the way:-)

I was trying to think of one of my long term gfriends/fiancees that i would not have sent flying across the room had they offered me a drink at this moment and i came up empty, so i bow to your tolerance and you are more of a gentleman than me sir
Old 02-22-2009, 02:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's some great willpower! Keep up the good work of not giving in to drinking! I wish there was something I could do to help with the pain. Tried anything other than Tylenol? Other otc pain meds seem to help me more than tylenol does.
Wes
Old 02-22-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Thanks for listening, I just needed to rant a bit.[/QUOTE]

You can do it Richard.....you have made it so long!! Keep posting!! We are all here for you!!!! :ghug2

PS: I agree with the others, you need to talk to your wife hon.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Richard,

I am sorry that you don't have your wife's support, but know that you can do this anyways.

It's too bad about the bursitis and I hope you feel better. What I have found in recovery, is that you have to deal with 'stuff' and there is no way to numb it. For me, one of the biggest problems has been chronic insomnia. I can't hide from it, but, I can get some satisfaction from doing my best to deal with it.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Richard. You are doing so great. H1tting 30 days, going beyond that, dealing with this difficult situation.

It is amazing to read about this right when it is going on for you - thank you for posting right in the midst of this crazy thing. I am sure your wife is having all sorts of feelings about you not drinking - some she probably can't explain. Sounds like you are both on a journey with the changes you are going through - it is really something that you were able to sit there with your soda! Inspires me!

Sorry you are in such pain - hope you do get to a Dr or get some relief really soon.
Thanks for this post.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hey Richard!

So sorry to hear your pain kept you from your weekend plans. I hope you get some relief soon.

You have done an excellent job on resisting the temptation of cold beer in the fridge. You keep working on your recovery. Do what is best for you.

Everything else:

Serenity to accept things you can not change
Courage to change things you can
Wisdom to know the difference
Old 02-22-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richard54 View Post
So after a month sober, I was feeling great with a line up of things I wanted to do this weekend. Outdoor things, indoor cleanup, errands to do etc..

Friday I start limping like crazy with a severe pain in my leg/hip.
I think it's a return of bursitis which I had about 10 years ago and laid me up for over a month.

By Saturday, I can hardly stand up without support. Damn.
All the plans are out the window.

Double damn.

All weekend, I've been stuck inside here, itching to get out and do something.
But, I can hardly move. The pain is intense, and I've got to tell you, those cold beer in the fridge were driving me crazy.

Wife has polished all her beer off now. She has to work today.

I'm still sitting in my chair, feeling kinda down cuz I can't do anything that I wanted to,and it hurts like hell just to stand up.

But I didn't drink alcohol.

I polished off a 12 pack of Ginger Ale, and a handful of Tylenol's (which did absolutely nothing to get me mobile again)

Thanks for listening, I just needed to rant a bit.
Aww, Richard, you've done so well. And a month! Good for you! I too dealt with bursitis for a long time (just maybe a month ago it dissipated). Maybe yours will too. I had plantear facitis (sp) once too (very painful) but it did disappear after a year. My Dr. says to take Advil for two weeks. There are treatments if it doesn't resolve after that.

I can't say much about your wife. Tough thing.

Meanwhile, be so proud of your endeavors!
Old 02-22-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

You need to talk with your wife Richard.
Explain to her just why you're doing this and why she's not really helping.

As for drinking to ease pain? I hear ya - did that for 15 years - and a lot of other reasons besides. I've learnt there are way more effective and less harmful ways to alleviate pain.

Congratulations on coming through such a test

D