Notices

Alcoholism Isn't Me?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism Isn't Me?

Just reaching out a little, guess I want a friend. Think I can do this on my own but keep going back to it. 3 days sober 3 drunk, will snap out of this drunk phase and all will be fine. Don't want to do AA, don't want rehab, been there they didn't work for me.
How can I fix this it clearly isn't working
Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Well trying to go about it solo with ZERO support didn't work well for me. I don't really have a magic answer for you either. For me I was just thoroughly pissed and disgusted into what I became and decided against all odds that I was going to live a sober life. I found posting and reading on here helps me alot. As well as searching and reading everything I can on the subject of recovery and the sober life. All I can say is if you have the determination to stop drinking keep comming back here, read, ask questions, do anything you can and what works for YOU to stay sober. Good luck! We're all in this together!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xym297 View Post
Just reaching out a little, guess I want a friend. Think I can do this on my own but keep going back to it. 3 days sober 3 drunk, will snap out of this drunk phase and all will be fine. Don't want to do AA, don't want rehab, been there they didn't work for me.
How can I fix this it clearly isn't working
WELCOME!!!

Just my experience, ymmv, but whenever I have a problem that I can't solve on my own I try to find people with expertise on the subject and I follow their advice. You've indicated that you are having some difficulty following the advice of the experts-rehab, AA. Do you think that we may tell you something different here?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There are other programs besides AA. And rehab doesn't guarantee continued sobriety. All I can tell you is that if what you're doing now isn't working to keep you sober, try something different. Reading and posting here helps me a lot. I hope it can help you too.:ghug3
Old 02-22-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just started reading Sober For Good by Anne Fletcher. I bought it a long time ago and never read it because I really had no intention of being sober for good. I highly recommend this book. The title is very misleading and one of the things she talks about is alternatives to AA (which I haven't found in my area). But just reading it helps. You just need to find something that works for you. There are many of us here who would rather not be a part of AA. I went once, one my first day of sobriety, and found that it was helpful, but I had to take from it what applied to me and leave the rest.
Good luck!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went to a private alcohol counselor and had antabuse and anti-depressants prescribed to me, been sober 4 and a half months. Maybe worth the money you would normally spend on alcohol to find out what they say?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know the first time I tried to ride a bike I fell on my ass. That didn't stop me from climbing back on the bike and eventually learning.

So try something else, if that doesn't work, try it again. Even AA might need a second try if you can't succeed some other way.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have just read rational recovery which is not at all AA, try visiting the webiste, you may find something interesting there.. Good luck
Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back to SR....

I just read your earlier sares and I am sorry you are not finding
a way to quit and stay quit.

Here is a list of various recovery methods
for you to explore...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

There are SR members who use just our site w/o a program.
I certainly hope they will be along to share with you.

Blessings
Old 02-22-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are many recovery programs each offering a solution that may or may not work for any individual. I guess you have to learn what your triggers are, and more importantly, how you can either avoid them or cope with the cravings that result once they are fired. As long as you believe recovery is possible then it's very achievable. I've been off the booze for 57 days - I still smoke cigarettes so i'm a long way from drug free living, but I still have hope it's possible.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Hi XYM297

There did it, who else had to keep flicking to the top of the thread to remember that name ?

Guess letters and numbers together ain't my thing.

I'm just over 9 months sober XM, I don't use anywhere or anything but SR, check in regularly and post before you pick up a drink.

Don't ask me how it works but it just seems to for me.

I came in at the 2 weeks and under thread, then 30 days, 60 days , 90 days etc etc.

If your lucky there will be a group of people making the same journey as you and they can provide you great support.

For me though, I think the checking in regularly is the most important thing, even if its a quick post just to focus your mind and see how folks are doing.

Stick around, keep reading and posting.

Hope you get there.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree with Fizzy, don't know how or why this works but I don't think it's a coincidence I finally have success. I think for me, not feeling alone with it was huge. It opened up a whole new world to me, seeing so many people with my same story to tell. I have no family member or friend with this problem, so felt very alone and isolated with it.

I respect the opinion that face-to-face discussions have more impact for some people, that AA & other programs have saved people's lives. Those things did help me temporarily, but I always fell back on the same old behavior. Maybe I was just ready this time - but SR appears to have done it for me. It could be that it's readily available 24/7 with it's message of encouragement and hope. Here's hoping you will find relief from the pain you've been in. We're glad you are here.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, going to have to white knuckle it tomorrow, all part of my nehaviour. Want to try and use this site to help mr get sober, dont want AA but do believe in the 12 step plan want to lollow that wihtout them, i dont fit there. Still ttrying to beat step 1, proving a disaster