Why do they lie....... and sneak????

Old 08-09-2003, 10:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Red face Why do they lie....... and sneak????

I'm having a hard time trying to understand why my Alcoholic husband has to lie and sneak all the time ...........He keeps denying that he has drinking problem...... so why does he have to lie and sneak around to drink?? I will find his beer stash in every possible place and empty beer cans hidden every where......... does he really think that I will not see them...... he has also taken my pain medication...... taken all of it.... ( just to get a buzz) and then he replaced the medication with some other drug........... when I confronted him about it...... he said...... oh I did that a long time ago...... whats the big deal.......
We can not keep any Alcohol in our house because he will drink it ....... sneak it...... until it's all gone!
I refuse to buy any alcohol.......... and I hate it when someone brings a bottle over....... he's just so sneaky and I hate it....... I do I deal with this....... the lies go on and on......... I know that there are many others out there that can give me some kind of advise!! Please........ what can I do???
HOw do I focus my energy else where??? and how can I keep this from eating me up??
Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 08-09-2003, 11:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

(((((((Where do I start)))))))))))

Well, you have already started dear...You asked the question. You came here, and now you are aware you need more..

May I suggest looking for some Al-Anon meetings in your area,
getting Codependent No More, reading the posts at the beginning of this site....

Please remember the 3 C's

You didn't cause it
You can control it
you can't cure it...

Just like the A. obesses with their drink, we obsess with the drinker. What their doing, where they are hiding it, where they are getting it, ect.ect.ect the list of my behavior goes on and on unless I change, NOTHING changes...FOR me...

My first and best tool of defence against my obsession is the Serenity Prayer;

God grant me the sereninty to accecpt the things I can not change
The courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

I say it over and over to myself...

I go to an Al-Anon meeting or come here...I educate myself about the family disease of Alcoholism. I call my Al-Anon sponsor, I read the litature of Al-Anon. I grab hold of an Al-Anon slogan and repeat it over and over and try to think about how it applies to my thinking, my behavior, my life.

I go to the store for a loaf of bread I don't need (thankfully I have a freezer 'cause my first year in Al-Anon it was nearly full of bread).

WHATEVER it takes to stop my unhealthy behavior, thinking, and reacting to someone else's problem.

You are not alone unless you choose to be...Please come back and let me know how you are doing....

Love and prayers from one who cares

Last edited by Daffodil; 08-10-2003 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Daffodil is so wise...and right!

Knowing he lies and sneaks has done nothing but drive you crazy....it is not something you can do anything about.

Get your focus off of him in all the ways that Daffodil mentioned and remember he is not doing this to you. He has a problem separate from you.

Hugs,
JT
Old 08-10-2003, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks Daffodil and JT........ Thanks for the support!!...... it is driving me crazy....... I will try the coping skills you have given me...... sure nice to know that others understand....... because sometimes I think I'm going nuts
Thanks!!!!
Old 08-10-2003, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Re: Why do they lie....... and sneak????

Originally posted by wheredoIstart
I'm having a hard time trying to understand why my Alcoholic husband has to lie and sneak all the time ...........He keeps denying that he has drinking problem...... so why does he have to lie and sneak around to drink??
I ditto the advice you've gotten so far. Just wanted to add...

He denys he has a problem, because frankly, from his point of view the alcohol isn't causing him any problems. From his point of view, what is causing him problems is you. That's why he sneaks and lies. To avoid your anger.

The truth is the alcohol is a problem for you, not him. Since you are powerless over his drinking, you need to find a way to give yourself distance from the two of them (him and the booze). Whether it's leaving the room, or leaving the house, do what you have to in order to give yourself peace.

Your anger is natural ... it's a sign that you're tollerating something that deep down you hate. Be true to yourself. Make the necessary changes to your circumstances to make the anger go away.

Getting him to stop buying and drinking is not an option available to you.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks so much for your input........ he does make it seem that it's my problem and NOT his........ it's just gone on for so long that I'm really beinging to hate him........ and what it's done to our life!
Thanks for your support!
Old 08-11-2003, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

They lie and cheat to avoid you and there is nothing you can do about it. What you can do though is take care of you.

Ngaire
Old 09-13-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Brigshell

Lies and sneaking.. AAhhhh!!!!!!

This thread describes what's going on in my life right now perfectly! Our 13th anniv. was Monday. I had a class until 8:30 pm hoping to come home (ha) to a sober husband, knowing I hate when he drinks.. That went nowhere fast...
Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, brigshell--welcome to SR. The thread you're posting on is 14 years old, so most of the people who've posted here have likely moved on.

How about starting a thread of your own here? Tell us a little bit more about yourself and your situation, so we can better help you to begin finding your path forward.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hate to be so blunt, but to be honest b/c addicts are sneaky liars. Shame, guilt, being bored, not wanting to deal with reality an the reactions of those around them, the list goes on. It really does not matter, it's the actions that count. Most people do not appreciate sneaky liars.

Hugs.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

knowing I hate when he drinks..
That is why the lies and sneaking enter the picture! You don’t like what he’s not willing to stop doing so alcoholic logic tells him to defend his addiction, lie about it, deflect from it so that he can continue to do it.

You might want to start your own thread as this one is very old.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think active drinkers are masters of avoidance. Mine didn't consider leaving out info a lie ( telling me he went to work but leaving out the 2.5 hour liquid lunch that was never mentioned, for example) but finally seems to see that deception is lying too. I think they do it to avoid confrontation and so they can keep drinking without being bothered or feel guilty about it. The lying really gets to me too- hard to stick by someone that can't be open with me.