signs of oxy use?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question signs of oxy use?

hi, i just have a few questions concerning my girlfriend's potential oxy/painkiller habit. she was in a bad car wreck about 2 years ago and she actually crushed her spine and had to get rods put in it. weve been in a relationship for about 7 months now and ive known from day one that she took painkillers for her back because she is still in a lot of pain from the rods in her back. she has told me that she used to be hooked on oxy's really bad before we got together. recently we got into a fight and she told me she did a half of an oxy 80. i know she sniffs all of the painkillers she gets because they affect her quicker and i think she waits till the pain is unbearable usually before she takes them. but since the first night that i know she did an oxy (about 2 weeks ago) she seems to be nodding off alot when shes sittin up watching tv, texting her brother, smokin a cigarette, etc etc... im wondering if shes been doing oxy's more than shes telling me. we have gotten into a few bad fights in the past couple months (some almost to the point of us breaking up) and i dont want to start any more major fights like weve had before because the fights are still kind of fresh in our minds and i dont want her to think that i like fighting with her too much. our relationship has been better than it has been in quite a while when we stopped fighting about 3 weeks ago and i like the way everything is going but my main concern is oxy's. she works just as hard as i do and shes far from lazy and she does seem to take care of everything she should be taking care of so if she is using oxycontin again i dont think she's messing up too bad. i told her once we started dating that i wont be around if she does oxy's because that is the main reason i moved here to west virginia was to get away from my friends and family who's only concern was doing oxy's. i don't do drugs and i really don't care to be around them anymore but i love my girlfriend too much to just leave her. i do know that shes in a lot of pain because she has me rub her back at least 3 times a night so i dont thin shes faking the pain just to use painkillers. i also know shes looking for alternative methods for long term pain rather than painkillers. ive been doing everything i could lately to let her know how much i love her and im gonna wait until the right time to bring up the oxy conversation again so that she doesnt think im just trying to pick a fight. the main questions i have to ask are these.

is nodding off like that associated with oxy use or do all painkillers do that? (just recently she seems to be nodding off every night but we both work late and she does have a heavy schedule)

is sniffing painkillers something to be really concerned with even if the person really does need the painkillers? (is sniffing them any more harmful then eating them?)

what other signs should i look for concerning oxy's? (i know that someone that used to have a heavy oxy addiction shouldn't ever touch them but is it really bad for someone to do 1 every once in a while because the pain is too much for other painkillers?)

I'm pretty sure if she wanted to that she could probably get another perscription for oxy's (she used to have one) but she tends to stick with lortab's so thats one thing that makes me not worry about it too much.
any and all advice would be greatly appreciated though cuz this girl means so much to me and ive seen too many family members and loved ones hooked on drugs and i really dont want to see her go through that. sorry for writing a novel here but im starting to get worried (hopefully worrying too much :P) and i cant sleep.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

People who are not addicted to painkillers do not snort their oxys. She is addicted. Opiates are extremely difficult to quit. My daughter started with oxys and then went on to heroin because of the cost factor. Lortabs are addictive too. We have many addicts on the Substance Abuse forum that are trying to kick a Lortab Addiction. Learn everything you can about addiction. Being armed with the knowledge will help you make an informed choice on whether or not you want to continue to be with someone with an addiction. It is a hard life. Hugs, Marle
Old 02-20-2009, 03:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fresh,
Welcome. Others will be along soon to give you support. I don't know much about Oxy's but I have learned my son has been doing them. Now he is only 17 so I don't know if they affect him differently then an adult. He seems to be sick a lot when he is using them.......really throwing up sick in the morning. He doesn't nod off with them. Maybe she should see someone about pain management for her back.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I agree with Marle...someone taking pain meds for legit pain does not snort them! My stepmom has become addicted to Lortabs, which she takes for legit pain. The nodding off, is a sure sign, to me, that she has taken more than she is supposed to. Her tolerance to the lortabs has increased, so much, that she is taking a massive amount of pills. When they aren't causing her to nod off, they give her energy and she loves that side effect.

If your gf is serious about wanting to check out other types of pain relief, without narcotics, she will seek out a pain management clinic. I'm a recovering addict, and I can tell you that this is something she has to do on her own. There are several RA's (recovering addicts) here, that deal with chronic pain, on a daily basis, and they also deal with their addiction...but they were the ones who went to their doctor and were honest.

I can understand you don't want to accuse her of something if you're not sure, but as an RA, I do see red flags...especially the snorting of the pills. I hope you continue to read and post here. The more you learn about addiction and setting boundaries (what you will tolerate), the better position you are in to step back a little and see things from a more objective point of view. Sometimes it's really hard to see things when you're right in the middle of it.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-20-2009, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OK..I will give my take. I happen to be a doctor of pharmacy. If she is crushing Oxycontin and snorting it, it is not because it works faster. Oxycontin is a time released medication and by crushing or even cutting that pill the time releasing mechanism is destroyed. So what happens is a patient would have recieved 80mg over a 12 hr period, instead they get the full 80mg at once. Snorting oxy is NOT normal for a person just utilizing those meds for pain. There are other meds that have oxycodone in them that are not time released but that one is...and yes nodding off could be ssociated with her drug use. Crushing Oxy's for snorting can kill her.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with all of the above.

Snorting ANY kind of pill is abnormal. Nodding off in mid sentence, mid text whatever is also abnormal. Its been my experience that the nodding (similar to the heroin nod) is a sign of overuse.

I also agree that with severe pain pain mangement should be sought out....Especially if your gf has already had a problem with oxy's.

Another thing to keep in mind is that with addiction comes lying. Its a hallmark of the disease taking over. She probably is using ALOT more then you even know but in order to protect her disease she will lie. Comes with the territory.

You are in for a long road my friend. Good luck...Keep reading and keep posting.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

is nodding off like that associated with oxy use or do all painkillers do that?
Yes.

is sniffing painkillers something to be really concerned with even if the person really does need the painkillers?
Yes. This means she is abusing drugs and probably addicted. No doctor ever prescribes sniffing your pain medication.

what other signs should i look for concerning oxy's?
Overdose is a good one. That usually happens after they nod off. Nodding off is a sign you have taken WAY TOO MUCH of a drug. I suggest next time she nods off and you find her, rush her to the hospital. Ask the ER doc to explain what happened. Trust me on this one.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

She is definately addicted to them.I deal with a lot of pain myself and have been taking oxycodone for several years along with different ones like fentynal,kadian,diloded and other forms of morphine.I take a lot of stuff everyday and my wife says at night i dose off a lot or am just not there.Taking these meds makes you not feel as much mentally as well as physically.Check and see if she carries them on her or takes them with her when she go somewhere and then you will know how bad she is with the meds or not.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

fresh80, Welcome to SR.

I just want to say....loratabs are just as bad as oxycontin when it comes to addiction. I understand your gf is probably in pain, but now days there are alternatives for pain other than narcotics. She's snorting, and she will try to keep you in denial that she has a problem. She will hide them to the best of her ability. My AH is addicted to pills, and those take him to the streets to other drugs also, only the Lord knows how often. His addiction ruined our marriage, and split our family, angered my older children, and hurt us all deeply. There is no life or love with an addict. I'd say run now while you can. You can't love her sober. You can't change her. Either you can live in the misery it will cause, or you can get out.

Signs of opiate use/abuse are...
The nodding off.
Pinpoint size pupils. (this is the surest sign).
Slurred speech.
Consumed with where and how to get the pills.

Hope in God.

NH7
Old 02-20-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yes she is addicted...

ok she is definately addicted to pills..i also am addicted to pills and i snort them as well..and the only reason i snort them is so it hits me stronger..nodding off is common with snorting pills when u do to much..if i snort 1 pill it will not make me nod off but when i start doing more and more thats when u get tired and nod off.
other signs of if she is a addict is if she needs to have a pill in her system no matter what.even when she isnt in pain.but that one would be tough cuz all she has to tell u is that she is hurting bad..
she will be able to keep getting prescription pill..i am 19 and go to this doctor in my area and he gives me so many pills and i really dont have nething wrong with me..so if she wants it she will get it.but from reading a lil about her it absoultely seems like she is addicted.and thats come from someone who cant live without em..if you have any more questions please feel free to contact me,i am young but i do have alot of knowledge on it..
Old 02-20-2009, 05:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
does it SAY on the side of the prescription bottle to crush the pills and then SNORT them? then she is not taking them as prescribed. she's taking them to get high. period.
I just have to say that I love Anvil's blunt and to-the-pointness!! SO, SO TURE!!

In addition, I will say this: if she "used to" have a problem with oxy, she still does, and always will. And using a different narcotic doesn't mean she doesn't have a problem. It simply means she's substituting one for the other. There's absolutely no reason for her to be nodding off........unless she's overmedicated. PERIOD.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

My Husband is addicted to Oxy's and other opiates..

Signs..

Pupils the signs of pin points

My AH gets really hyper when he is high on Oxy's.. I always knew when he was using because I would come home to a spotless house and dinner on the stove.

sawed off pieces of ink pens so that it is just a hollow piece.. most of the time white residue will be present.. (this means they are snorting the pills and honestly if it comes to them snorting them then you questioning that they are an addict is just you being in denial)

One minute phone calls on the phone bill to the same number or numbers over and over again..

Being very protective of their cell phone.. treating it like a peice of gold and never letting it out of their sight..

Being on the defensive when asked if they are addicted or inquiring as to how much of that stuff they are taking..

I could honestly go on and on.. Snorting is the big sign though.. normal people do not snort their pills... Never ever, ever..
Old 02-21-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm quite familiar with the subject.... my abs doc.

He is not lazy.... far from lazy- matter of fact when useing- I can count on him to clean the house with me and be happy about it!!

Pin point pupils (very very small- and they stay that way - even in a dark room)

Voice get scratchy

Itchy skin

tiredness after the drug wore off....

Hard time getting up in the a.m.... grumpiness till the first pill they pop in the morning kicks in.

Nausea

Weight loss...

I could go on and on.

TERRIBLY TERRIBLY addictive.
Horrible to get off them. She needs help. God bless you, this is no picnic to walk through.

Cessy
Old 02-21-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

She is addicted to opiate pain killers, so Lortabs are a problem for her. Just because they are not as strong, does not mean that this is any less of a problem. If she is sniffing the drugs, that is a huge warning sign. However, someone can have a serious problem and only be taking the pills orally.

My ABF's DOC is opiate pain killers. When he is on them, he is very productive. If anything, they can get more done than they would without the painkillers. Cessy is very right about the symptoms. It's hard for me to tell if ABF has pin point pupils. However, he does get very itchy, he loses weight, he gets a lot done, and he absolutely hates getting up in the morning. The mornings are very difficult for him, because he is used to taking a pill to get going.

She may have legitimate pain. However, her addiction to opiates could be making the pain worse. When she comes down off of them, it would be normal for her to have a lot of muscle pain. So, there is a good chance that the pain has actually been made worse by the pills. My ABF used back pain as a reason to get opiates. He has some slipped disks, so he likes to use those as an excuse. He can take his MRI to the doctor, and they'll think he really needs the pills. However, he doesn't actually have legitimate pain anymore (that's what he has admitted to me).

If she does have legitimate pain, there are probably things she can do to make it better. Physical therapy, accupuncture, surgery, yoga--she can also see a pain management doctor.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah, I did all this stuff when addicted to pain pills. You obviously love her, but keep in mind, you say that you moved to WV to get away from the people in your life who did drugs, then you are now with another person who is doing them. What does this say about you? You probably have codependant tendancies. You are maybe trying to fix something in this girl that you were unable to fix in your family at home. You can't fix it. There isn't enough love in the world to cure an addict.

We alone can enter and work a program of recovery when we are ready. For some of us to get ready, it can take prostitution, destitution, homelessness, theft, robberies, jail time, institutions, loss of health, etc, etc. For some of us, there is no bottom. We die of our addiction. I couldn't be with someone in active addiction, no matter how much I loved them. I just don't want to go there with anyone. I don't think you want to go through this again. There are people in the world that you can love who are not in active addiction. You're young and your life doesn't have to be this hard.

Love,
KJ
Old 03-11-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

snorting oxy

My son went from taking oxys roxys, vicodin and every other opiate, orally, to crushing and snorting and then on to shooting. I have Marchmen acted him, he has been in detox, rehab and thrown out of 2 programs as well as 3 half way houses. He self medicates with suboxone, but keeps going back to the oxys. I am sick of hearing "what he is going to do" because I have been hearing it for 3 years. I will not allow him back in my house and told him that until he gets his life back in order, not to call me. He has been to jail 3 times and has an outstanding warrant now. I know that the next call I get will be from a hospital (he has o.d), the jail or the morgue. I hate speaking with him because I know that he is self-destructing and I also hate not hearing from him (is he laying in a gutter somewhere?). I told him that I love him unconditionally and if he ever gets his life together to please call me because I miss him everyday. I mourn the lose of our relationship, but I have nothing left to give him. He has sucked me dry financially, emotionally, physically and psychologically.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Searching for Serenity

She IS in pain. Then reason she is in pain is because she has taken too many pills by snorting them (getting the full effect at once, then it wears off quickly) and has built up a tolerance to them. She will continue to need more and more to reach the feeling that she has, to the point that she will "feel the pain" all of the time and the painkillers will no longer "work" for her at all. Then she will feel the pain anytime it has been a while since she used, because she is having withdrawals. I once heard oxycotin withdrawal described as "it feels like your entire body is on fire and burning up." That pain can be confused with the pain she was legitimately having when she first got injured so that she thinks the pain never went away.

The confusion with taking these pain pills for actual pain is that a lot of people think (or addicts rationalize) that doctors prescribe pain medication so that you don't have to feel any pain. They are really only designed to take the edge off of your pain so that you can tolerate it. If you are taking the pills to the point where you are nodding off then you are abusing them and you cannot function while you are on them. And you can't function when you're off them. She is dependent on them.

My fiancee would get so tired and nod off when coming down off the pills. Then he felt like he "had to" do another one because it was the only way he could make it through the day. He was going to work and doing his job, but only because he was getting that "high" at lunchtime and then after he had been home for an hour or so he would crash.