Notices

Time and benedryl and nyquil

Old 02-19-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Time and benedryl and nyquil

Hi, everyone,
It's nice to be here. I have a question, which I have asked others but I am still mulling it over.
I got sober on July 26, 1987. I had forty days previously but I had a sip of wine (wuss) at a nice jewish wedding--until I envisioned myself dancing on the tables.

I also took a dose of nyquil to sleep about five or six times about 10 years ago. I have also used Benedryl to sleep, usually 1 tablet, about 1 every month or two, maybe 2 or 3 times a year, when I really can't sleep. I read just today, that that's dangerous. Is it a slip?

I was going to al-anon, alot.

Two women aa's say I drank alcohol so lose my time. others say not to worry. I'm a people pleaser but I also don't want to fool myself. One oldtimer said something that stuck with me: don't do that to yourself. You are giving yourself an excuse to slip... that I'm trying to take away my time. I do worry I might as well go out if I change my sobriety date. I think that's what he meant. I've been a loner, which is why the discontinuity. Working now with a woman with 47 years and desperate to be more a part of. She said she is agnostic. So, I'm putting it out there for other's experiences, if possible. Opinions are not as helpful. Again, I've said it to quite a few people but I still am not calm in myself. One day at a time. Thanks very much!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Paulene,

Welcome!

I am not an AA person, but I would say is you should pick a date that feels right to you.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am Catholic and I have wine when I go to church but I don't change my date every week. I don't get drunk, I don't crave, I don't worry about it much at all. As far as I'm concerned it's not a slip. The most important thing for me is to just believe in myself and my sobriety. I take cold meds too but that's not a slip. I guess I just think differently about things though. I mean look at my avatar.

Peace,
Ken
Old 02-19-2009, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

My belief is if you take medication, on the odd occasion, for its intended purpose, it shouldn't count against your time. There are always going to be those sticklers who believe otherwise, but that doesn't make sense to me.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
My belief is if you take medication, on the odd occasion, for its intended purpose, it shouldn't count against your time.
I with you on this. And a drink of wine although not recommended, should not count. If you have the idea of drinking and get drunk then your time is over.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

necessary meds and sacramental wine do not, imo, negate your sober time.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

I was going to al-anon, alot
Are you now attending AA?

Anyway...glad your here with us...
Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
necessary meds and sacramental wine do not, imo, negate your sober time.

Thank you least, I couldn't have said that better myself. You are one awesome human!!! In fact my pastor who is a big AA and an alcoholic drinks the wine. I myself only let it touch my lips. Why worry about 5 drops of wine that to a Catholic means so much more?

Ken
Old 02-19-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi Paulene and welcome to SR.

Congratulations on your sober time!! That is awesome and inspiring, and I hope to one day have that much sobriety under my belt. Thank you for coming here and sharing with us.

I absolutely do not think you need to restart your sobriety date because of medications!! As for the wine at the wedding, that's up to you. If you didn't get drunk, if you stopped to prevent things from getting out of hand, and it didn't cause you any problems afterwards, I'd vote in favor of not counting it and chalking it up to a close call.

You say you're a "people pleaser"... the only person you have to "please" in this situation is YOURSELF.

My only personal experience with this is that I do not count medication (or mouthwash or orange juice or vanilla extract) against my sober time. It is being used in its intended purpose and in the recommended amounts so I am not doing anything wrong. I hope you still find my opinion helpful even though you only asked for stories of experience.

Best,
TSH
Old 02-19-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Thank you least, I couldn't have said that better myself. You are one awesome human!!! In fact my pastor who is a big AA and an alcoholic drinks the wine. I myself only let it touch my lips. Why worry about 5 drops of wine that to a Catholic means so much more?

Ken
I have never quoted myself, this is kind of weird. I just forgot to mention that my pastor has 14 years of sobriety. At least that's what he told me two weeks ago. So it seems he doesn't count the religious wine thing as a slip either.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I don't participate in that, but I wouldn't count it, either.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

paulene

to thine own self be true...

only you know in your heart whats correct...
Old 02-20-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think Rusty and Least said it best...I am Catholic also, and I do not believe that a sip of The Precious Blood on Sunday is a slip. However, I recently had a terrible cold, and my doc. said it was ok for me to use Nyquil in its recommended dose. I decided not to do it because I was afraid it would start me on a slippery slope....how long would I use the Nyquil for? If I sneezed once some day, would I use that as an excuse to take Nyquil? Those were my personal thoughts, relating to me only, so I did not use the Nyquil.

I did drink once since I first seriously decided to get sober (three glasses of champagne on my wedding anniversary and I was a little drunk) so I decided to reset my sobriety date.

Those are my experiences, but I like best what Rusty and others said "To thine own self be true".

Excellent thread, thanks

Jomey
Old 08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses!

You know, you people were so sweet to respond. I think I am so hard on myself and I'm sick of it.
I was afraid to even look to see how hard you all would come down on me. This is how long it's taken.
Wow! You were all so sweet--not one mean person.
That right there taught me something. Thanks so much. I'm even going back to my original sobriety date at the wedding because I barely swallowed a drop!
Thank you.
I know how hard I've tried–and for once I'm going to give my self credit for it.

Thanks, again and please pardon my late response.

Paulene
Old 08-24-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you again Paulene

D
Old 08-24-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Using cold medications as sleep aids is precarious. You and your sponsor are hopefully discussing this situation. Best wishes
Old 08-24-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Using cold medications to sleep is precarious and should be between you and your sponsor. Religious traditions are a separate issue, especially when not abused. Best wishes
Old 08-24-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There will be alot of people who want what you have (Time) but will never get it or actually want it, so they will try to attack the person who has it.

Anything prescribed, and used as intended, or bought for colds, allergies, or other medical conditions or problems should never come off your time if they are used as instructed.

That is just ridiculous

If we wanted to start something like that then what about people who use mouthwash, eat food cooked with alcohol (no it does not always burn off), cookie mixes with ingredients with alcohol, and the list goes on.
Many foods we eat everyday have alcohol in small amounts, and what about dental shots, laughing gas, doctor putting someone under.

I fell 20ft to the concrete from a roof on the back of my neck, and woke up with friends, and loved ones standing over me in a trauma unit hospital from another state. I know they pumped me full of stuff. I dont remember anything but teeth and fur before I let go of a ladder, and nothing else until I woke up the next day. I am glad they did what they did to safe my life.

Do you think I thought of ever taking time off my sobriety.

No way in you know what

Sorry for the vent, but I do get tired of others who will never get or never want what we have, but they sure will try to find a reason to take it away.

You keep you date right where it is, and be proud of yourself.