Notices

Introduction

Old 02-19-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

Hi everyone. I had 5 days sober but decided to hit the vodka again on Tues. I didn't drink yesterday so I am back at day 1. I have been a nightly drinker for over 15 years. No real hitting bottom story here just a deep need to get myself "right". My Mother was an alcholic and destroyed everything in her path. I want to quit before I get to that point. My husband is also a heavy drinker with Hep C who is always going to quit "soon". I couldn't wait any longer for him so I here I am.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Polly.
You will get plenty of support here so all you have to do is make up your mind to quit and then bother to be bothered.
Good luck.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision to get sober and welcome to SoberRecovery! Keep reading and posting, you'll find a lot of support, encouragement and information. I'm glad you've decided to do this for you.
Wes
Old 02-19-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

HI Polly and welcome..
Congratulations on day1!
Old 02-19-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Polly and welcome to SR. I too was a nightly drinker, but that hasn't happened since May of last year thanks to SR and the support given here. Glad you've joined.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I couldn't wait any longer for him so I here I am.
Good for you Polly

Wait for no one
Old 02-19-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for deciding to take action for yourself, even though your husband isn't ready yet.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Welcome.

There's lots of good recovery here in
Sober Recovery.

Feel free to ask for help and we will
provide suggestions, care and hope
when you need it.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hey pug,
I drank for years thinking it would put me to sleep. Now sober I sleep better than I have in years. Real good deep sleep. OOHHH I want my pillow right now just thinking about it!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....Welcome to the board!
Old 02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community

Blessings to you and your husband
Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

We're glad you are here. Congrats on your 5 days, I'm sure you can do it again. I am married to my drinking partner of 14 years. I got sober, he did not. I will have 6 months of sobriety soon.

This link was very helpful to me when I got started:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

It explained how my body was addicted to alcohol, and why it was such a struggle to give it up.

Keep posting and reading!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome pollypuggie
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome and glad you found us. Lots of good info here on lots of different problems - but all related to addictions. You're part of a good family here, you can lean on us when you're not strong. Read and post and ask questions.

:ghug3
Old 02-20-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Polly Congratulations on making a good decision. You *can* me healthier than those around you, and maybe in time you will be able to be there for your loved ones. Keep reaching out
Old 02-20-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Hi Polly, My husband and I were drinking partners too, He was first to get sober in our home. I was very uncomfortable for a while and even tried to make things difficult for him....I had lost my partner in crime. He remained sober and I eventually threw in the towel myself after my alcoholism progressed. We are both sober today through the grace of god and the fellowship of alcoholic anonymous..I wish you both well. Drinking with Hep c is especially dangerous, I will pray your husband gets recovery, but meantime I hope you can stay strong and use all the help you can get here.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by pollypuggie View Post
Hi everyone. I had 5 days sober but decided to hit the vodka again on Tues. I didn't drink yesterday so I am back at day 1. I have been a nightly drinker for over 15 years. No real hitting bottom story here just a deep need to get myself "right". My Mother was an alcholic and destroyed everything in her path. I want to quit before I get to that point. My husband is also a heavy drinker with Hep C who is always going to quit "soon". I couldn't wait any longer for him so I here I am.
Welcome!

How much did you used to drink every night? Just a couple drinks or did you feel the need for a binge every evening?

Only reason I ask is I'm curious know if you are having side effects of not drinking or its what has happened to family members who have made you want to quit. How did you find the five days off!

Anyhow, don't feel bad about Wednesday. You're back on an drink free day. That's all that matters.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Welcome to the SR family!

We're glad you are here. Congrats on your 5 days, I'm sure you can do it again. I am married to my drinking partner of 14 years. I got sober, he did not. I will have 6 months of sobriety soon.

This link was very helpful to me when I got started:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

It explained how my body was addicted to alcohol, and why it was such a struggle to give it up.

Keep posting and reading!
Can I just say that I have the utmost respect for those who are in an alcoholic relationship and manage to give up despite their parter's drinking. Its very impressive.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome! And...what he said. Utmost respect to you!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome!

The choice to quit drinking is yours Polly.
You're doing it for yourself.
Chances are, your husband will eventually hop on board also.

Don't let anybody interfere with your sobriety.

My wife still drinks (not as hard core as I was), and it doesn't bother me at all.

I'm hoping she climbs aboard full time eventually of course.

I don't really give a rat's a.ss what anyone else does,
as long as they don't try and interfere with my own choice of a sober lifestyle.

Stick around.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Another sober night and I am feeling strong that a third will follow tonight. I drank each night until blackout usually and I could do that in 3 or 4 hours. I often passed out at my computer. How nice to wake up and KNOW what time I went to bed and exactly what I did before going to bed! My main symptom of withdrawl seems to be fatigue and heavy night sweats. I was so sick on Thursday morning after drinking Wednesday. I never feel hung over but man oh man I did that day!
Everyone here is so welcoming and I am thankful for that. Some threads I cannot read ie Did you hide it. I didn't but for some reason reading that thread made me really want a drink. I don't understand the triggers but I can tell you as a smoker the cravings to drink are very similar to the cravings to smoke.
Have a happy and sober day everyone!
Polly