Notices

Inpatient treatment

Old 02-19-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inpatient treatment

Hi!

This is my first time posting, but I've been following the discussions here for several weeks now. You guys are inspiring!
Here's me, short story version.
I need to quit drinking. The depression is almost unbearable, and I'm tired of being sick and tired all of the time. I went to a
chemical depenency counseling place yesterday, and the counselor I met with
thinks that an inpatient treatment program would be best for me. Can anyone here tell me what to expect? I'll be away from my kids for 3 weeks, and I'm scared. I don't know how I'm going to juggle my job and childcare arrangements.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Yeah, go go go! I have only been to outpatient rehab but I just wanna say that if you have an opportunity to go than take the gift and run with it! This is an opportunity that many of us never get. I am so happy for you. Start packing!!!

Were is the cheerleader! We need more cheerleader!!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do you have any trusted friends or family around who could care for kids? My high school daughter ran the house when I was in rehab. I felt guilty for letting her do it, take care of stuff like the mom does while the real mom is in rehab. It turned out ok tho, she did a decent job and the house was clean when I came home.

Do you have a mental health agency in your area? YOu could call them to see what services are available. Don't give up. You'll find a way to manage it.:ghug3
Old 02-19-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

Are you sure you need rehab?

If the counselor was form a rehab center they are likely to want to send you since that is their business.

What does your family doctor think?

Have you researched the facility that the person recommended?

I don't want to be negative but this is a big decision and some, not all but some, counselors may not be 100% trustworthy.

Before you decide to take this route I would suggest you do a lot of research.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi and WELCOME!!!

I've done both inpatient & outpatient treatment. Do you want to know what to expect once you're in the facility/program??? I can give you some thoughts but would like to hear back from you first, K?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Inpatient therapy was the best thing I ever did, for my alcoholism and for my depression.

You've gotten great advice here.

Remember, it's got to be hard juggling your job and kids and life while you're drunk. If you keep drinking ...... it only gets worse. I promise.

Congrats on seeking help! Good luck!!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Family intervention sent me into
rehab back in Aug. 90. My family
did for me what I couldnt do for
myself.

I was suppose to be there 2 weeks
only as they told me i wouldnt stay
sober on my own and if i would re-
consider and stay the 28 days.

I made that decision on my own.

Come the 28 days to leave they wanted
to send me away to a halfway house
out of state. I beg them to not
send me away from my kids and
if there was something else I could
do asthey still thought i wouldnt
stay sober on my own.

So upon agreement I was set in
an out-patiant aftercare program
for 6 weeks.

I went as suggested and well....
I can say that the knowledge and
tools handed to me in treatment
set me on the path of sobriety
and allowing me to pave a solid
foundation for my recovery.

Im grateful and blessed for all that
has happened to me thus so far.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses!

Fubarcdn - I appreciate your concerns. I have been researching the place she suggested all day. My family doctor isn't really an option anymore because she says I need to go through the mental health/chemical dependency channels instead of seeing her.

Nickishine - Yes, I'd like to know what to expect once I'm in the facility/program. I suppose they are all a little different, but maybe just a general idea of what you experienced.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

mnjen,

Welcome and good luck with whatever choices and decisions you make. I am the mother of an adult son that struggles w/addiction and the daughter of an alcoholic father - so don't have experience with being in treatment myself. I pray for you and your family, that you find the assistance you need to be able to go into treatment.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I went to a 90 day inpatient treatment. I couldn't even function on a basic level from drinking so much everyday. It saved my life. Was it easy, H*LL no! Was it worth it, you bet. I havent touched a drop since April 27, 1994.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by mnjen View Post
Nickishine - Yes, I'd like to know what to expect once I'm in the facility/program. I suppose they are all a little different, but maybe just a general idea of what you experienced.
There are a lot of "group" therapy sessions on various topics daily; "one on one" therapy with your counselor once or twice a week; daily exercise; depending on the facility, cooking, cleaning - chores in general daily; inside and outside AA/NA mtgs regularly....

Usually a "black-out" period of NO contact with your family and friends for a specific amt of time; mail could be received and sent out I believe right away; visits from family and close supportive friends could come after a specified amount of time; family may be invited to specific groups and encouraged to interact on group topics....

The worst fear I had with being a single mom and leaving my children with family was the black-out period before I actually went in. After a day or two, I got into the routine of everything and realized the importance of why I was there and they'd be okay.... If not, family had the phone number to locate staff in the event of an emergency.

The tools and things I learned from staff, peers and the process was unbelievable and priceless. 3 weeks is nothing compared to throwing away your life with the progression that alcohol will do in your life if you continue to drink/use. I wish you all the best, my dear! Take this as an opportunity of a lifetime! You will be glad you did!... Your children will have a mommy that is New & Improved --- sober!

I hope this helps!!! You can also call the facility and ask them about their schedules and routines (requirements) and this can give you an idea to know what to expect!

Lots of love going out to you today!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you soo much nickishine for your advice, warmth and support!!
Old 02-19-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You will get out of inpatient treatment what you put into it!! Be sure to investigate what the treatment program is. Last year I went into a treatment center that was near where I live that treats mental illness AND addiction, but everyone was lumped into one group; ie I was in group with males/females with all sorts of disorders and I was the only addict. I found that it was difficult for others to relate to me and me to them. One of the women there was there to have her bipolar meds adjusted and had never had a drink or drug in her life! Our needs just didn't match.

I left this facility after four days and checked into another one a little further from home that treats addictions/alcoholism only. I got a lot out of this program and have been clean for almost a year. I hope this helps you.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR....

When I was diagnosed with situational depression
my psychiatrist suggested I attend AA.

It's been working great for me for years....

I don't know if it would for you but why not try it
while you are making a decision?

Keep posting with us...Best of luck on your new journey
Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Employers must release you and hold your job if you file for disability with them.

When my son was going to go to rehab I notified his HR department. Due to confidentiality laws they could not tell his boss why he was taking a leave but had to give him one.

You know that your job and kids will get by but right now your sobriety has to come first.
Don't be shy about asking for all the help you needs.

Don't worry about what to expect at rehab. Just be willing to go to whatever length necessary to get well. Be willing to follow directions. Let go and surrender to the process. You don't need to be in control.

Wishing you all the best as you take this gigantic step.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

My experience at rehab was great. wanting to be there helped a great deal. I had to finally surrender to get out of it what I needed. I always disliked the word surrender, and still not too fond of it. I just decided that what I was doing wasn't working. Drinking was no fun for me anymore. It seemed like every time I did what I wanted, something bad happened. I decided to stop listening to myself and take the advice of others. It was only after I began to do that, that I realized I had surrendered! Seriously. I was almost annoyed with myself until I realized I was happier.

The rehab I went to kept us busy almost all day. We had speakers, lectures, small groups, individual meetings with counselors, homework, and AA meetings. I was sometimes annoyed that we didn't have much downtime but it was probably best that way. I met some great people there that I still keep in contact with and sometimes we meet up for AA meetings and coffee. I didn't have any friends when I was drinking.

Hope that helps. Best wishes to you!!