Notices

How are you Reconstructing your life clean?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Reconstructing Rick

How are you Reconstructing your life clean?

Like a shattered glass, each piece of our lives while using cut someone who tried to clean it up and a lot of times it cut ourselves. We tried glueing our lives together but because we are such failures at managing our lives, we just broke the glass more.

Are you still gluing the broken pieces or melting them down to make a new stronger glass? What did you do TODAY to do this?

Share your tip on what is keeping you clean today so that others can live.

Rick

Last edited by Anna; 02-19-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was fragile for the first year and then I just got positive, if there is such a tangible thing. I used to look in the mirror and think "you suck." I had a million thoughts everyday about my absolute suckiness. I would wake up at night with the horror of my actions when I was drinking and the damage I had done to myself and others. So I consciously make a shift in my own thinking. When I catch myself admonishing the stupidity that is me, I think of something nuetral like a nursery rhyme, then replace the thought with something positive. It had helped me. And gratitude. I am so grateful for everything - down to the seasons and the air and a stupid flower magnet on the fridge - to the big things - like my family and my health and my sobriety which gives me the ability to think and feel again.
When you're saying thank you for everything in your life, you kind of realize how much you have, rather than the unquenchable thirst for more. I trust the universe more and actually believe a lot of the time that it's working in my own best interest and it's a safe place to be. Probably sounds stupid, but it's changed my whole life. I expect good now. And I often get it. Even the bad stuff seems to be a good lesson wrapped up in a bad package. Is it faith? Yeah...maybe so..
I hope I don't sound too preachy. I'm still nervous posting here. So, I'm not as confident as I might type, but time helps. But THIS I believe in.
I can't wait to read other people's great ideas and bring them also in my life.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Due to recently relapsing and this is my first day completely alcohol free, all I can say is that I need to take direction from my sponsor, HP and reach out here. The more I learn about this dis-ease... the more I see and know the need for huge support!

I truly believe, "That God will do for us what we can't do for ourselves".... & has given me SR, and so much other support in my life!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

thank you,good topic!

I went to get help my life was in such a shambles.I joined AA and I would have joined the Boy Scouts if they would have had me if It meant I could have got off the drugs and booze.
I do try to live by the steps today.As far as reconstructing my life,I got a job and just went to work everyday and came home after work.As time rolled along,my mind cleared up,my amends to my family and others made it better out there in the world and in the home.Over time it turned into a peaceful life,and as I continued to work at my job,material success came.I didn`t go looking for it,it just came.I`m not rich,but the bills are caught up and food is in the fridge.No bill collectors looking for me either.That brought a lot more peace.
Then one day as I sat outside thinking,I saw that all those horrible problems I used to have was gone,and life really was getting great.It has gotten better for me too,as I just continue to do whatever is set in front of me to do,and try and help others.I believe peace,reasonable happiness,and contented sobriety naturally comes when we get right with others and the HP.Now this took some years to happen,but after the initial first few rough years,then it happened.I believe if it can happen to a guy like me,it can sure happen to each and every one of you too.I hope it does.

Out with the bad,in with the good
:-)
Old 02-19-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community

I've been using God and AA to enjoy recovery
for over 20 years.

Hope you will find your answers too...
Old 02-19-2009, 09:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

Today I went to the gym to repair my body and am going without processed sugar to do the same. If I feel better about the way I look I will not have the desire to ruin that by drinking. For me it is all about how I see myself.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

elmers glue is really strong if youre trying to glue together ceramics that have broken apart :P

but yeah. i am eating a ton of fruit and salad, and will start working out... soon. and im readng a lot. yay!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Initially, I had to go to rehab. I went to outpatient rehab for 12 weeks. Now I still attend a weekly group from that rehab. Plus I go to AA and work with my sponsor. I've thrown myself full-force ("fearlessly and thoroughly") into working that program. I am amazed and humbled by the other people there, by their stories, by how powerful the steps are.

I am reconstructing my life from the inside out.

I know that my alcoholism is really not about the alcohol. It's about hiding, for me. So I have to go through my life and look at why I've been hiding. And all the different ways I've done so. And I have to let myself be seen, finally.

I recently recognized that there is nothing I can say or do that will take away my right to be me, to exist, to have a place in this world. I don't have to earn my right to be here, now. All I have to do is ACCEPT my place. I am here. And this is the truth about who I am. All I have to do is accept it. Stop running from it and be still. And accept it.

That's been a powerful motivator for me.

I also recently was asked to sponsor someone in AA. I feel so honored. And I want to do a good job. I think sponsoring her will help keep me sober.

I don't think I can ever really reconstruct my life. And in fact, I don't want to. The life I had was filled with misery. So, I'm kind of starting over. My sobriety birthday feels more important than my "belly-button birthday." I have a new beginning. And I get to do it however I want. So, I am trying to notice, as much as possible, what is the next right thing to do. That helps me a lot too. What is the next right step? If I can do that, then I'll be okay.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mle-sober View Post
I know that my alcoholism is really not about the alcohol. It's about hiding, for me. So I have to go through my life and look at why I've been hiding. And all the different ways I've done so. And I have to let myself be seen, finally.

I recently recognized that there is nothing I can say or do that will take away my right to be me, to exist, to have a place in this world. I don't have to earn my right to be here, now. All I have to do is ACCEPT my place. I am here. And this is the truth about who I am. All I have to do is accept it. Stop running from it and be still. And accept it.

That's been a powerful motivator for me.
Wonderful and powerful. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Working out, eating healthy, reading more, visiting SR, enjoying life more and more with each passing day.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

mle-sober,great post!
Thank you
Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember reading Mia Farrow's autobiography "What Falls Away" and I was so intrigued by the title. I didn't get it, at first. Then, when I hit bottom, it fell into place. What falls away - all the phoney parts of my life, all the lies, all the pretense. What was left was just me.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mergirl

I have been doing a lot of research on being a co-de, and I am amazed daily that there are healthier ways of thinking and being. I am far more excited about applying what I am learning then I even was "quitting booze", because now I feel like I am really making some changes within to make myself a stronger, healthier me.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
BKP

Lots of weight lifting, sweating and working myself to death the right way. Oh and actually using my mind this time without having Jim Beam make stupid choices for me
Old 02-19-2009, 10:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

First I took on a reconstruction project on my body I had been putting off for years...I had a benign tumor the size of a grapefruit removed. I am at the end of the recovery process from that.

I go to AA meetings regularly.

Today I tried working with my creditors. I have a pile of debt that sometimes gets very overwhelming. I called trying to make payment arrangements...it was frustrating..because most wanted more than I had...but it's like 'how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. So I will continue to 'eat the bills' ....even if it's only 10 bux a month.

I am looking for a part-time job.

Spending time with my son and husband.

Cleaning my messy apartment!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

By cultivating my spirituality with honesty, commitment and compassion.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

What is keeping me sober today, and I think this is the essential element that has forced me through so many withdrawls already, is that I know that once I am feeling a bit better in a few days time I will once again be enjoying life to the full.

However, what I find most exciting is the notion of finding new things to interest me and do with my life. I find that without the depressive effects of the drink I have felt far more interested in getting out there and discovering new things to do with my time. It's also a comfort to me to know that soon I will be feeling a huge confidence boost as I realise that my body is being treated well.