Notices

Can't stop!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't stop!

Hi All.
I so need to stop drinking but can't seem to. I tell myself over and over, not drinking today.
I've been taking naltrexone but it doesn't seem to help.

Pray for me, I need help, guidance, and support..
Old 02-18-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

solice,

Welcome to SR! Please read all the stickies at the top of the forum as there's loads of good advice and recommendations. You'll find lots of support, experience and wisdom on these boards. You are not alone!

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Solice,

I will remember to keep you in my prayers. You are new here. Many people are here with the same problems as you. A lot of wise people will offer you the help, guidance and support you seek. My advice to you right now is to stay on SR for the night. Perhaps consider other modes of support such as AA or any of the other organizations that provide assistance for alcoholics.

Peace,
Ken
Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Solice
welcome...!
there's lots of great support and info here so have a look around and keep reading and posting
hugs and prayers
Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
trying to get it right

also on naltrexone

it helllps, but i find myself not hellp ME
Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Solice,

I just want to say WELCOME!!!!

You are definitely not alone! Stay here with us, get support through other means as you will. This can be done, but not by yourself! I feel you and hope that I see you here a lot.

:ghug3
Old 02-18-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is such a good place to be, visit Solice. Something about reading these posts, hearing again and again how others are JUST LIKE YOU/ME makes you/me feel comfortable in your/my own shoes again--and then ready to walk into a new phase of life.

Keep taking it one step at a time. Your are making progress just being here.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
This is such a good place to be, visit Solice. Something about reading these posts, hearing again and again how others are JUST LIKE YOU/ME makes you/me feel comfortable in your/my own shoes again--and then ready to walk into a new phase of life.

Keep taking it one step at a time. Your are making progress just being here.
Amen, Theresa!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi solice ..welcome..you are amongst friends..

I wanted you to know it IS possible to stop drinking..

BUT its a good idea to have a chat with your doctor first..

Read through some of the posts about how some of these guys/girls got sober........and how its changed there lives...

keep posting on how your getting on.........god be with you......trucker..
Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi solice,

Your not alone. Welcome to SR

Ed
Old 02-19-2009, 03:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Prayers are coming your way from Boston. You've come to a good place. Here you'll learn that yo can stop drinking. You've got the willingness, now its time for action.

There are many ways to go. AA works wonders for me. Others might have suggestions that worked for them. The point is... try to take it to the next level. You can do it! Many of us have.

Mike
Old 02-19-2009, 03:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community

Have you considered AA?
It's an adventure in sober living..

Keep posting ...good to have you here with us.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
BKP

I have more friends in recovery now that I ever thought before.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family Solice!

I tried many times to stop drinking, and struggled with following through. I had good intentions (heart), but always justified another drink or rewarding myself with a drink after skipping alcohol for a period of time (head). Now I have my head and heart on the same page.

This post on SR under Alcoholism helped me:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Post and read as much as you need. We are here to support you.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I took antabuse for the last 4 months, need to go to your docs though to get it prescribed. It makes you ill if you drink, took one pill in the morning and one at night. My freiend took it too before and decided to have a beer, his flat mates found him on thje floor sweating profusely, had solied himself, and was covered in red blotches, needless to say they called the paramedics. When they got there they did all the usual on-site tests and then when his flat mates told them what he was taking they had a go at them for wasting their time, told him to drink water, lie down and not to drink alcohol.

There have been cases of when someone taking antabuse has died, like downing a half bottle of spirits and not being found in time.

It is a great reason not to drink and my view on it was if i was the one that screwed up and died im winning either way as it gets me out of the living hell i was in. 4 months later i could not be happier and have no cravings and am coming off the antabuse today. Give it a go maybe?! I'm not aware of any awards for doing this cold turkey and without medical aids so use every means at your disposal if you like...

Good luck:-)
Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I suggest an honest talk with your doctor. If the naltrexone isn't helping maybe he can prescribe something else. But medical supervision during detox is a good idea. It can get you thru the worst of the withdrawals and then you start feeling better. Please talk with your doctor.

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 02-19-2009, 06:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all. Day 1 today. Had 5.5 beers last night and took a bottle of water to bed. Had a hard time falling to sleep.

For months I've been saying I have to stop drinking, someone last night said try saying 'I WANT to stop drinking' I think that'll help.

What has any used to help through withdrawals? What days were worst? for you? I can do this.. I want to do this....
Old 02-19-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Solice, and welcome.
I drank TONS of water--more than you'd think you could possibly drink. It was good as I didn't feel like eating much, and when I did it was fruits and vegetables. I also was taking a multi-vitamin, Vitamin C, and some Omega III Fatty acids. I would look into some nutritional information. Alcoholics tend to be deprived of many nutrients we need, since we often will drink our meals. (I know I did, and there isn't any "good" calories in beer).
As people have said before, it is a really good idea to check with your doctor when attempting to detox. There is a great thread about what to expect from a lot of different peoples experience. I think you'll find it in the Alcoholism section, it's a sticky.
Other than that: I took my dog for a lot of walks when I felt "twitchy". I drank tons of water, and tea.
I'm glad you're here. Thinking of you.
Best,
Wombat