Notices

Fired from my job - depressed and need advice

Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fired from my job - depressed and need advice

Hello all,

I just got fired from my job yesterday. Now I am really depressed because it will mean that I have to move out of my apartment and sell the majority of my belongings. It happened because I was too drunk to call in - multiple times. So I know that I essentially decided to get fired, they gave me multiple chances.

Now I just want to sleep all day - I'm only happy when I am dreaming. I don't want to drink, especially with where it has gotten me. But I don't want to feel this way either. I also feel really embarrassed. I had a lot of friends at work and getting fired is not how I want to be remembered.

My plan is to go hang out at the Alano Club for a while and hopefully find a good meeting or 2 or 3.

My question is, has anyone else lost nearly everything? I am thankful that it happened in the sense that I am now motivated (and have plenty of time) to focus on recovery. I'm just wondering how to deal with these emotions.

Thanks for letting me share and reading.

Chris
Old 02-18-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

I have had some tickings off because of days of work that I have missed, and that was a bit of a wake up call, Its what finally made me sit up and decide that the time had come where I had to stop knocking back the juice. I've had one relaspe since then and am now fighting to regain what I had a few weeks ago.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Quite some time ago I got a DUI and because I was a on the road salesman I lost my job along with my drivers license for 1 year. Fortunately my wife stood behind me and I managed to eventually get a better job. Unfortunately I only quit drinking for about 4 months. I never did drink and drive from that day though.
I was depressed for a while but got over it and moved on and you will be able to do the same in time. Have faith in yourself.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Chris. You're going to come out of this doing fine. You have the right attitude. Are you sure yet you'll have to move out of the apartment? If so, I hope you have family to stay with. Perhaps that would be good for you right now.
Don't be too demanding of yourself. It's OK to watch TV and get your head together for a few days, but don't wait too long to get your resume' out there.
Your idea of selling things is a tough one. In this economy, you'll likely have a lot of competition from others doing the same thing, so don't let anything really important to you go for so little money that it won't really even help you. I'd live off of a credit card before I'd take $200 for my iPhone, for example. Get rid of what you don't need, though. Cleaning house and getting rid of the clutter and getting some $$ for it will be therapeutic for you.
I truly believe this will wind up being a positive experience for you. In a year, you're going to look back and be so glad you were fired.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

You doubled your work load, trying to stay sober and have to job hunt.

I used to just go to work drunk. Very seldom did I call in if, I did, I took a vacation day for the hangover.

Have you got a sponsor?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Chris)))

Thanks to my addiction, I lost my nursing license, ended up as a homeless crack addict on the streets, until I went to jail. I pretty much lost everything.

Today, I am waiting tables in a restuarant, and coming up on 2 years clean. Is my life perfect? He!! no! Is it better? Absolutely! I'm still in debt, I'm still facing a few consequences from when I was using, but I can honestly say that my life is MUCH better thanks to recovery.

When I initially got into trouble with work, I didn't focus on recovery. I just figured "well, I screwed up" and got into MORE trouble. I hope you don't make the same mistake. If I had done what you said you're going to do...go to meetings, and focus on recovery, I would have saved myself a whole lot of misery, and some jail time.

A lot of us have been where you are. This can be your bottom, and the only way to go is back up. I understand the depression, but when I relapsed, almost 2 years ago, I also had to get another job, right away. I allowed myself a couple of days of "down time" and then I got busy getting another job. Yes, I was very focused on my recovery, but I also had to accept the fact that I have to work.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been where you are. I lost my job not because of drinking, but for other reasons. I ended up getting my family in $100,000 worth of debt that I feel guilty for every day. I am lucky to have somehow managed to save my marriage.

I am back to being a contributing part of my family. I found a job where I make less money, but am happy.

I'm trying to kick the drinking now that things are a little better for us emotionally if not fiscally. A positive attitude helps, but you are completely normal to want to just pull the covers over your head for a while.

Just a thought, but you might want to talk to someone at a credit counseling agency (a reputable not for profit one) that might be able to help you work out a way to stay in your apartment.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

When God closes a door he usually opens a window.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I truly am thankful that this can be my bottom. I got written up before and my messed up thinking was "wow, I got away with this?" and proceeded to drink the following evening. I basically fought to drink for as long as possible, but at some time enough is enough. I know that I would not be motivated if I kept my job.

Luckily I have great support people in my life. I used to have a sponsor, but we haven't talked in months and I just lost all my phone numbers in my phone, so I am waiting to get to his homegroup to talk with him. I did go to one meeting already today. I don't know about one tonight, but I will be spending time with my girlfriend who is a big supporter of my sobriety (why she hasn't left me yet, I will never know but am grateful).

Impurfect - I can relate somewhat. I just lost a great job at a corporate office that paid well. Now I have no idea what I am going to do, but I'm counting on a paycut.

Inneed - I didn't know about those type of agencies. I will likely have to downsize because of the cost of the particular apartment I chose to live in. I could afford it comfortably before, but have very limited savings due to drinking and court costs.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

l lost my job and almost my life.
l have no idea how things will go, but l am glad l am facing this sober.
Otherwise l wouldn't be able to do the things l need to do to keep a roof over my head.
Maybe it is a blessing in disquise and in a year l will be glad it happened.
Hope it works out for you.
It allways looks worse than it is.
Stay calm and sober.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

:ghug3 Have faith in yourself and getting sober. YOur life will come back together. It's a lot of work sometimes, but worth it.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Penny - Best of luck to you, sounds like we are in the same boat. I'm on day 3 now and thank God for each moment that I am sober. I know that things will work out for the best for us as long as we don't drink or use.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Chris,
l am trying to look at it as positive as possible.
One door closes, another opens.
l am really sorry l lost my job. l had a good job and nice people to work with.
When l was fired my first reaction was to buy a sixpack and think things over.(panic)
Glad l didn't because l it would have made things worse.
But to be honest, it was very tempting and still is.
So now l am trying to keep calm, sober and do what must be done.
Who knows what the world will look like in 3 months ?
l wish you wisedom and strength.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I lost my job just before Christmas. Yes,
I was sad about it and wished i had been
able to say goodbye to the many I enjoyed
working with.

My job wasnt lost because of drunkeness
or illness.....I have good sobriety and very
thankful for it. My problem has to do with
authority. Something that stems down from
my childhood.

Because of childhood physical and verbal
abuse I left home at 18 swearing I would
never have anyone tell me what to do again,
esp. my mom.

Over the yrs, i have had only a few jobs,
mainly retail and bank teller before i
became an at home mom for 16 yrs.

I suppose i never really delt with authority
in the proper manner. It's not to say i dont
work well with some, however it has to do
with the tone of voice telling me what to do.

Anyway...my little sweet job at
Ambrosia Bakery :: Fresh Mardi Gras King Cakes from Louisiana had
management problems like many retail
businesses do.

I did my job well and got raises
and was verytrusting etc....however
with the many times i went to the
office because of little 20 yr olds
telling me what to do....

Well there went my little job.

I was giggling inside thinking
about going to the office that
many times at my age....lol

Hmmmm.....like going to the
principles office....and i did
that too....lol

Anyway.....i was scarred at first
wondering about support, but my
HP must have had other things
planned for me.

I met a man in recover a yr an
half ago which was placed in my
life for reasons on my HP knows
and we just recently married. My
husband has told me not to worry
and that he is very blessed to have
me as a part of his life.

I still feel guilty at times for not
working, but im ok with it most of
the time. I only worry about
sitting more than im use to and
dont want to gain weight.

I have placed faith in the man
upstairs and i know things will
work out as they r suppose to
just as long as i work my program
to the best of my ability and pass
it on the the next recoveryng alcoholic.

Thanks for letting me share.