a book that might change your life...

Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a book that might change your life...

I read Codependent No More close to 17 years ago when I was trying to deal with my brother's alcohol and drug addiction when we were both teens. I think I was maybe too young to really absord a lot of it. Over this past Christmas, I went through a difficult intervention with another family member, and it brought about an entirely different awareness of what really is such a huge genetic problem within my family: alcoholism. So I started to attend Al Anon again after so many years and started to hear the name Melody Beattie again. My local library did not have Codependent No More, so I picked up what they did have: Playing It by Heart (by Melody Beattie). I couldn't put the book down. It absolutely changed the entire way I look at addiction, recovery, loss, and most importantly, helped me find that place within myself to let go of a lot of what I have been holding on to for so many years of my life.

I would so strongly recommend this book, regardless of where you are in the cycle of your codependency, because it truly takes you through every possible phase imaginable, and provides historical insight into addictions, AA, Al Anon, and yet so much more, and in a way that will keep you flipping the pages, yearning for more at the end of each page, and in the end, you will find you have virtually every answer you might have hoped for with respect to addictions, and most importantly, the liberation in finding the way out of it all for yourself.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a real eye-opener, isn't it? I got SO much out of reading it, and lots of us agree.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you newdawn-- I'll check it out--
b