Notices

the things I neglected

Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool the things I neglected

I'm going to the dentist today. I haven't been there in 3 years.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gosh I hate the dentist....thanks for reminding me mammabin....I gotta go to, it's been neglected.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I didn't go for much longer than 3 years, but it had nothing to do with alcohol. The dentist is a phobia of mine. I'm working on conquering it, but it's not easy.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I'm way more available to my children in recovery. When I was drunk all the time, I always found a reason to do the very least as a mom. I feel terrible about this. But if I make a list of the things I neglected, that is number one.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i didnt go for a couple of years and was convinced that i had neglected my teeth doe to alcohol, i even said to him before the examination that i would not be surprised to find some problems...at the end of the checkout he said there is nothing wrong with your teeth, they are very strong but how much do you smoke to get such staining on them and continued to clean them for 1 HOUR with his nurse choking i mean helping with her water spray thing, bitch (sorry no other word pays justice to her awfulness at her job) almost drowned me grrrrrr!
Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I always had the theory that alcohol kills bacteria on my teeth and gums and prevents gingervitous. Sounded good at the time anyway.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I neglected my teeth too when I was drinking.I have made a lot of trips to the dentist since I got sober.
I need to go now .... but I keep procrastinating.

this thread reminds me of an AA talk I have on CD made by a man who Dr Bob helped get sober.He mentioned when he did his inventory the things he neglected to do in the past bothered him more than the things he did.
He called them sins of omission,which is different than neglecting the dentist.He said they resulted in a lot of his shame.He also said they resulted in his shortcomings,things in which he fell short of doing.( AA`s step 6 ).
I realize I felt the same,and all those nights I had left my family behind so I could go drink.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

This is kinda funny because I walked by the dentist office today. When I was drinking I went to the dentist faithfully every 4 months for a checkup and cleaning. I went at the end of December abd was supposed to make an appointment for a filling in mid January.
Wee after quitting drinking I haven't made that appointment so I am the exact opposite so far from you. LOL. I hate the dentist and can't take the additional stress yet. Maybe I will call next week.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fubar, you best get that filling before it turns into something worse. Let it go too far and you'll need a root canal done. Very expensive procedure and expensive crown as well.

Thanks for posting Mamabin, good luck with the dentist.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

I still carry out alot of the same patterns of neglect even when sober.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think I have as well James, at least since I've been sober this time. Seems as though I have not reached the point that I feel motivated to act on some areas that I started neglecting when drunk, now that I'm sober.

Is there some point when folks get that motivation again? I mean like I used to have before I let the booze get the best parts of me.....gettin stuff done, doing things that I enjoy, taking care of things that I've let go for too long...etc. I used to be a REAL go getter man, from a little kid I was a go getter....a "doer".

Where is it now man?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My motivation beats me over the head with a rolling pin.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
trying to get it right

haha

i have dentures? no more dentists for me!

but i do feel for all of you that need to go , ouch!!!!

do anything to keep your natural teeth! it is worth it!!

:ghug2
Old 02-16-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Good to hear from you, massey.

My procrastination was always there, but it got worse before being clean. I follow some of the same patterns that I started when not sober, and am trying to break them with patience.

Thanks, man!
Old 02-16-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

I hope your appt goes well. I hide from the Dentist. I wish I could pay someone else to go for me.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Sara, I pay my dentist to put me to sleep. :P Not kidding!!! Took me a while to find a (local) dentist that did sedation dentistry, but I knew it was going to be the only way I'd ever get back in that chair. I finally did it back in June 2008, and then in December I had all the work done that I wound up needing. It's a relief to have that all behind me now. I have to go back on Wednesday for a cleaning and I'm not looking forward to it at all, but I'm not TOTALLY FREAKING OUT about it like I would have been this time last year.

I'm even not going to get sedated. I will still have some Happy Pills, but I won't be knocked out like I was last June and in December.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

aaaaa i need to go too
pretty sure i have gingivitis. blah