Ex AH relapsed. Trying to avoid making mistakes

Old 02-16-2009, 04:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ex AH relapsed. Trying to avoid making mistakes

Hi all...

My ex and I have been divorced 3 years now. He was sober for those past 3 years. Was a bit messy getting him to go to rehab that first time. Caused a lot of pain etc. Now he has relapsed again, went to a rehab in Jan, went home and started drinking and using again. I am trying to avoid making mistakes, trying to be supportive and "loving" in a friend sort of way. I am trying to avoid nagging etc but he has been making excuses about why he can't go to rehab right now. I am not sure what to do next. I am worried about him, and also losing my patience with him. I know all too well that you can't force someone to go to rehab.

Thank you
Old 02-16-2009, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ago

I'm confused

He is your ex of 3 years, he's been sober for three years, he just relapsed, you are losing "patience" with him......

Why are you involved with whether he drinks or not at all?

Isn't that his decision?

I could see it affecting you if he was the breadwinner...but I guess I just don't understand what you are asking for.

I am trying to avoid nagging etc but he has been making excuses about why he can't go to rehab right now
Isn't whether or not he goes to rehab his own decision?

I was told if I make a suggestion once, it's helpful, if I continue making the same suggestion because it wasn't listened to it's control.

I know it's tough, but you are going to have to just let him go and allow him the dignity to make his own decisions...he is a grown man.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was just wondering why him drinking is your problem?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's obvious that you care what happens to him, but really, he's an adult and has the right to make poor choices and (maybe) learn from them. He is not your responsibility (unless we're missing something here?) and as sad as it is, for your own sanity you should really let this go. Be honest about your affection for him and about your hopes that he will get and stay sober but.....beyond that, it's his business and his alone.

Sorry this is so hard....alcoholism really is horrible.