Notices

Waiting for the bars to close

Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waiting for the bars to close

The bars in this area close in four hours, so I'm white-knuckling it for the next few hours. I don't have anything to drink here at home, so I might just make it for 24 hours if I stay put. Even tho I gave my wallet to a friend to hold earlier today, I know a couple bars where I could run a tab, cause I've done it many times. For what it's worth, this is not easy. My mind keeps spinning in all directions, looking for a drink to calm it down. Then the thought comes that a pitcher of beer won't hurt, but then again neither would two pitchers, three, etc.

I've got to tell ya, there's alot of nuts in this fruitcake I call my brain.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Stick it out here firestorm. I can't sleep ever so I will hang with ya and enjoy my club soda.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi buddy... stay put... just as a conversation though, does your name "firestorm" refer to the VTR1000 motorbike?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

reminded me of a Jimmy Buffett tune called fruitcakes.

If, it's that bad, give your keys up next time

Change your thought process. Clean your house, go for a jog, call someone and chat etc.

Your mind can be a dangerous place to be in all alone

Last edited by CAPTAINZING2000; 02-14-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Heck the bars here are open 24/7, and we are in the middle of Mardi Gras season! (Mardi Gras was started here not New Orleans) Heck of a time to try and stay sober, but I am going to do it.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, you guys and gals are amazing. I sent in this post, went to the kitchen and nuked some hot chocolate, came back and there were four replies, four people who give a da*n about staying sober. If I went to the bar, I couldn't find four people who would buy me a drink, but I'm sure I could find four people who would love one if I were buying. I have a friend here with me tonight and she is watching movies on this new 32" flatscreen I just bought. I knew I'd need some form of distraction, so between this new computer, that I'm still learning to use, and the new tv, I'm trying to keep my mind occupied. You guys are great! I really appreciate the help, and really did not expect anyone to truly give a hoot about whether I chose to drink tonight or not.

Savage, when I joined yesterday, I was so hung-over that my mind drew a blank when I was trying to think of a handle, (or whatever you call the nickname), then I saw a book lying on my desk and used the name of the book, so I could remember it later, lol. I hope the author doesn't mind. Thanks for asking.

Hey CAPTAIN, I thought of giving up my keys, but since I just bought this new/used jeep, I was worried about it getting smashed up, lol. At least it's safe tonight, and I'm not smashed up either, lol.

Thanks again for all your help, it is more valuable than you may know.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yeah, giving the keys to a drinking friend might not be your best option
Old 02-14-2009, 10:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Captain,

Where are you in Illinois? I'm from Chicago, but moved to CA. in 2001. I sure don't miss shoveling snow at six am, or lugging out the snow blower to clear the drive enough to get out and drive to work, while I freeze my buns off in the car, lol.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm downstate 60 miles east of St. Louis on interstate 70 if, you know where that is.

I'm sitting here shivering, just got back from Fla. Monday. It's still winter here in IL.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

CAPTAIN,

I remember as a teenager going to St. Louis to watch the Cubs and Cardinals play. The Cards won. We drove I-55, so I'm not sure of I-70, but I know approx where you're at. It's been chilly here lately as well, but the people here think anything below 65 degrees is cold, lol. I remember breaking icesicles off my house that were as big as ball bats.

Thanks for the help tonight CAP. I sure appreciate it.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I drive 55 up to Pontiac to see my daughter quite a bit.

Always love a cards, cub game
Old 02-14-2009, 10:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks OzSandy and CAPT,

I can't believe I'm still here and the bars are still open, yet I fell somewhat better just being here. I never would've believed it if someone had told me that tonight I would be here instead of a bar. This is new territory and it feels good, but also very uncomfortable, like I'm missing something. Guess it's just general anxiety from not drinking tonight. Why do I keep looking at the clock, like it's some kind of magical countdown, kinda like New Year's Eve? Guess I'm goofier than most.

Sandy, where do I find what you referred too?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Phaleron,

Yes, I have a book on my desk called firestorm, hence my name, lol. I will try reading it tonight when I sign off here. It's comforting just to have this connection open for now, at least you and everyone here knows what I'm up against. Thanks for being here.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Still with us firestorm and that is awesome. It will get easier the more days you do it. Trust me.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Phaleron and C23,

Both of you have been part of my first day without a drink, and to you and everyone here who has helped with suggestions and supporrt, I extend my hand in gratitude and appreciation. It was tuff stuff.

I'm shutting down for the night, and will be back tomorrow. I know I'm not out of the woods yet. See ya then.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There will always be someone here for you Firestorm, you can do this. I just made my sixth day & I am starting to feel great.

I got up & did something active this morning without being completely hungover (usually still buzzed after a Friday night).

It really felt great to have a good day outside without the sickness.

Take Care
Old 02-15-2009, 12:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks OzSandy and NewBeginning,

I stopped in one more time before retiring for the night and was pleasantly surprised by your posts. It's just fantastic to have your support and encouragement during this most difficult of times. My head is a little clearer than it was this mornin and I'm learning to find my way around this site abit, so I know I'm in the right place.

Thanks for the link, Sandy. I'll check in out in the AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Good night firestorm. See ya tomorrow
Old 02-15-2009, 12:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
Thanks OzSandy and NewBeginning,

I stopped in one more time before retiring for the night and was pleasantly surprised by your posts. It's just fantastic to have your support and encouragement during this most difficult of times. My head is a little clearer than it was this mornin and I'm learning to find my way around this site abit, so I know I'm in the right place.

Thanks for the link, Sandy. I'll check in out in the AM.
There are some great links for you if you are looking for some information on quitting drinking. Take care of yourself :ghug3 you deserve it!

The top sticky links are good reads

Alcoholism - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 02-15-2009, 12:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

firestorm,
Sorry I missed you but happy that you found support here on your first night.
Yup, believe it or, drunks like us do get sober.
and life is pretty darn good today.
Talk to you tomorrow!!!