Can of worms..

Old 02-14-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can of worms..

I just thought I'd share.

I've been to another Al-Anon meeting today.

I wasn't going to go. It was a real effort getting myself dressed and out there. It's not the walking into a room full of strangers that scared me but the journey there. I'm not sure why but it fills me with trepidation.

But it was weird. It was an unfamiliar part of town in a tucked away place and my feet just found it. No consulting maps. No walking in the wrong direction. No getting lost. No stress. I thought that had to be a good sign.

Anyway. It was a dedicated newcomers meeting working the first three steps. I didn't share today because I have to admit being slightly in shock and having a whole load of processing to do after the chair.

The chair was a revelation to me. Well not so much a revelation as a realisation. I won't go into detail but it gave me some clarity and I am incredibly thankful.

After the meeting I went home (after going to buy myself a lovely bunch of roses and a magazine) and started typing (and crying). I've started the outpouring and while it hurts, makes me cry and is painful it feels good. Cathartic.

I am in the right place and I am grateful.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tallulah View Post
I am in the right place and I am grateful.
You ARE in the right place, and I am grateful you shared.

:ghug3
Old 02-14-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was just wondering, when you say "the chair," what do you mean? The sharing that the person chairing the meeting did, their message? The symbolism of your actual physical chair (as in, piece of furniture upon which you sat) in that meeting?

Sometimes, those moments of clarity, those times of eureka, come so unexpectedly.

CLMI
Old 02-14-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blessed4x View Post
You ARE in the right place, and I am grateful you shared.

:ghug3
Thank you... x

I just hope anyone who is (as I was) fearing that next meeting or who is the early days and fearing a new meeting... or both lol... takes the steps to go. I'm glad I did.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlovermi View Post
I was just wondering, when you say "the chair," what do you mean? The sharing that the person chairing the meeting did, their message? The symbolism of your actual physical chair (as in, piece of furniture upon which you sat) in that meeting?

Sometimes, those moments of clarity, those times of eureka, come so unexpectedly.

CLMI
I'm sorry. Lol. It might be a British thing (?) I meant the person in the meeting who is sharing their experience. I'm not sure what happens elsewhere in the world but at each meeting one person is specifically invited to share for a longer period and then others share after what they have heard. If that makes sense (?)

I certainly wasn't expecting what I came away with but it was an OMG moment.