Notices

Near beer bad idea?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Near beer bad idea?

Smoker's use different things to simulate a cigarrette in their mouth. Should addicts use near beer to help with cravings or does it just make you want the real thing? I've tried O'Douls before. It's pretty tastey.

Any experiences? Thoughts? And it's OK to tell me I'm completely stupid.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't drink it.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...25-odouls.html

We talked about this on this thread quite a bit last week.

I don't trust myself to drink it right now.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I don't have a problem with it, but I have no expectations that it will produce any effect.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I wouldn't go near it, personally. I stick to sparkling water and Diet Coke.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...25-odouls.html

We talked about this on this thread quite a bit last week.

I don't trust myself to drink it right now.

Guess I used the wrong word combo in the search. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
It's interesting how often this topic comes up, maybe the mods could make one of these threads a sticky?

I don't drink it because it still contains a small amount of alcohol, and why would I want to consume anything that tastes like what I'm trying to recover from? I used to drink it to moderate my beer consumption, each time I'd be back to the real stuff before the day was over.

I chewed tobacco for as long as I drank, 27 years. Several times I tried "herbal" or natural chews as a substitute for the nicotine. Same result as the NA beer, I'd be buying a can of the real stuff by the end of the day.

NA beer = Denial in a can. Thanks, but I'll pass.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me, that would be 'romancing' old playthings. I'd still have an alcoholic mind. I'll pass on the near beer, thanks!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I just see it as another beverage, not a substitute for the real thing. IMO, the alcohol content is irrelevant. I think it would be pretty difficult to drink enough of them in a short enough time span to produce any effect. I don't drink them all the time and don't crave them. I've never finished a six-pack in one sitting and the leftovers can sit in the fridge for extended periods of time. Something that would never happen with the real thing.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love the taste of beer.
There are some amazing micro-breweries in my area that make really tasty beers.
A really good friend of mine recently won second place in a regional brewing contest for a Scotch Ale--I was a taste tester for her before she submitted it for judging.
The problem is--most of the people that frequent these micros, and drink my friends beer are "normal" people.
I am an alcoholic. As good as a beer would taste after work someday, or a weekend evening out with friends--I can't do it. I'm not "normal". I can't control how much I drink.
Because of that, I'll pass on the near beer as well. It would definitely lead to more real drinking for me, and that is something I cannot do. Does it suck? Sure. But I'll stay with good sleep, sober mornings, and the real me. Near Me is just a drunk.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Yes... Western Montana has some great micro-brews. Oh well... lol.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wombat05 View Post
I love the taste of beer.
There are some amazing micro-breweries in my area that make really tasty beers.
A really good friend of mine recently won second place in a regional brewing contest for a Scotch Ale--I was a taste tester for her before she submitted it for judging.
The problem is--most of the people that frequent these micros, and drink my friends beer are "normal" people.
I am an alcoholic. As good as a beer would taste after work someday, or a weekend evening out with friends--I can't do it. I'm not "normal". I can't control how much I drink.
Because of that, I'll pass on the near beer as well. It would definitely lead to more real drinking for me, and that is something I cannot do. Does it suck? Sure. But I'll stay with good sleep, sober mornings, and the real me. Near Me is just a drunk.
That hit home. I love the taste too and miss it as much as the drunk. But I don't think I can go there either. Forgive me for a moment of weakness and stupidity. Thanks!

Nobody said this was easy.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I tried some alcohol free wine a few months ago and didn't care for it. But I do like a couple brands of alcohol free beer and buy it occassionally. Like I said in the other thread on this topic, beer never has been my poison, so it doesn't trigger me to to want alcohol. Actually, in the past I've purposely bought 3.2 beer rather than full strength because I like the taste of beer, but preferred less alcohol. I guess with beer, I don't associated it with that end of the day "wind down and pass out" experience.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

See, I'm right opposite. I don't really like the taste of hard liquor or wine.
But on the other hand, I don't want to acquire a taste for it either.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Samsonworld,
I'm the one who opened this can of worms last week. I didn't realize it would be such a touchy subject either. Maybe I didn't think it through before I posted it, but I'm glad I did, now I know what others think, which is why I posted it in the first place. As for me, beer is my drink of choice, I'm on day 16, and "near beer" has helped me. It took the craving away. To each his own. When I go out, I'm going to order O'Doul's. It will keep me safe, in my opinion. It's quite a controversial subject.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If it's ok to drink near beer
with little % alcohol then if
i ate fruitcake with little
alcohol is ok and so is taking
Nyquil for a cold, or mouthwash
with so much % with alcohol....
NOT....

I recall when i entered
rehab they took away my
cologne and didnt really know
why.....people actually drink
that and rubbing alcohol,
mouthwash....

I was so nieve to alot of
things people actually did.

I worked in a bakery and
didnt think they used
alcohol there. Sure
enough they do. I
no longer work there
sadly but that was a
good lesson learned
there.

No near bear or anything
containing even the smallest
% of alcohol for me.

Sets off triggers and memories
of once was.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't like the taste of alcohol, I just loved the affect so it isn't an issue for me.

I'd rather have a great cup of coffee.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mamabin View Post
Samsonworld,
I'm the one who opened this can of worms last week. I didn't realize it would be such a touchy subject either. Maybe I didn't think it through before I posted it, but I'm glad I did, now I know what others think, which is why I posted it in the first place. As for me, beer is my drink of choice, I'm on day 16, and "near beer" has helped me. It took the craving away. To each his own. When I go out, I'm going to order O'Doul's. It will keep me safe, in my opinion. It's quite a controversial subject.

We all have to find our own way, mamabin. And we all have different paths. Thanks for sharing!

I know I quit dipping snuff a long time a go and while it still sounds good, I don't regress back into that addiction just because I mooch one off a friend every once in a while. I still have not picked the habit back up and don't want to. I can take it or leave it. I hope some day I can say that about beer, even if I only allow myself 'near beer' for that taste I honestly enjoy.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You're not stupid. You're smart for asking. I would stay away from it if I were you. Especially if you believe you're an alcoholic.

Peace,
Ken
Old 02-13-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Is near beer a bad idea?

Depends on the person drinking it and why they're drinking it.

Personally, I went over three months into my recovery/sobriety before the thought even crossed my mind to try one. Then one night at a very special concert, it did cross my mind and I enjoyed the taste of it very much with dinner, and that was that. It did not make me want a real beer, it did not make my mind race with thoughts of real beer, and so I decided for myself that it would OK for me to have one every now and again, just like any other beverage I might have.

And it has been OK.

For me, it's been like switching from Coke to Diet Coke and really truly being able to fully enjoy the Diet Coke and accept that I will never again have a Coke, because I don't need addictive poison in my drinks anymore and I don't want it.