Is this insurance fraud?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this insurance fraud?

AH got some goofy 2 day job delivering flowers to a city 3 hours away from us and he called me at work while there. Some guy pulled out and smashed into the side of his van. The guy go out and was smashed drunk and wanted to give him money so the police would not get involved. Well moron that he is--he took the money, did not call the police because "he did not want to get the guy in trouble--he was an older guy. . ." Great, now he can get back in his car and kill someone!! I called him an idiot--asked him how he intended to pay for the damage repair and he started coming up with all sorts of creative things--I hung up. He called me back 15 minutes later telling me he called our insurance agent and told her his car got wrecked by a hit and run. So now he is lying to the insurance agent and she is going to file a claim.

My thoughts--he was drunk or high and did not want to call the police because then he would get in trouble, honor among theives (or drunks) is what made him not call the police on the drunk guy who hit him, he has now lied to the insurance agent--and I am thinking that is illegal.

I don't want to clean up after him--but I feel like he made me part of his lie to the insurance co. by telling me about it. Do I call the insurance agent and tell her he lied and that he was hit by some drunk who paid him on the street. Later he called me all excited because the money he got from the guy would cover the deductible and he would have money left so now we could order out Chinese and I would not have to cook. Huh? I hung up again and have not talked to him since.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Fraud, definitely. And in most states it's a felony.

No advice or experience to share for you though, sorry.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

no, you are getting involved in his mess if you start calling the insurance company. Plus you are only getting his story. I would stand back from it myself. jmho
Old 02-12-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The WHOLE scenario sounds fishy. Having heard similar lame-o excuses that sounded out of whack and far-fetched, I would not beleive him, but that is just based on what have experienced. The sudden change of subject and all... He is taking care of it...

Please take care of yourself.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Working in the legal field of insurance defense I say yes.
Most states, even if a hit and run you are still required by law to fill out a police complaint/report. (Not necessarily at that moment, but technically)
Depending on policy some wont cover it without, but with a good comprehensive policy they might and ask no questions.

Youd be surprised how many try to get property damage coverage from their own insurance and the other persons, and actually do, but YES they spend time in jail.

Just stay out of it, but also dont lie for him if you are contacted
Old 02-12-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you tell on him, then how will you all manage to fix the car is my worry? But I'd have to get away from someone this sick. I couldn't stand this type of drama for long at all.

Love,
KJ
Old 02-12-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with anvilhead.

IMHO, you don't know how the car was damaged, how he got the money or if there was a two day flower delivery job 3 hours away. He had been drinking earlier and later talked with the insurance company for only 15 minutes...

I have had two (really minor, one my fault, one the others' fault) car accidents in my life and NEVER got out of reporting to the agent in 15 minutes.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Is it your van and are you on the insurance policy? If so, I would make danged sure I did nothing that would incriminate myself in anything that went on.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with anvilhead too. (She was right about my XRAH being Mr. Nice Guy only until he got his equity $ - The warning was very justified and really helped )

I'd leave it to your HP.

My XRAH told me that story about three times. I bought it hook, line and sinker.

Once with insurance, and another two accidents where he was the one who needed the $800-$1000 per accident in cash - immediately at 11pm. After he left, the guard where I live and I were talking about A's accidents, and he told me about even more fake accidents and how A drove home drunk nightly (for years).

Well, about two weeks later, he finally got caught. He didn't go to jail,, but our car insurance shot up $700/mo. Even after our divorce, I am still paying about 2.5x more than I should, because of his actions.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I'd choose to do what is right rather than what is easy.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with you FD.

For me, leaving it to my HP was the right thing.

Not easy? lNot calling up the Geico lizard, the state insurance board, the other driver's insurance company and the DMV about his miscreantic behavior. I wanted them to punish him for fraudulently abusing another driver, the system and my name. (With my name as a co-insured driver and car owner, the law would not have distinguished me from the XAH, in terms of liability.)

After I learned what he did, I removed my name from the policy and insured my car separately.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I hung up again and have not talked to him since.

Good.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

escape artist--you are right--it is his mess so I will stay out of it. I have been good about not engaging--not sure why that did not kick in this time--perhaps because I was so appalled by his unethical behavior (and I should know better--I think it was him trying to get me involved--but I told him what I thought and hung up).
I am staying out of it and am not taking any money from him. I know he did have the job for 2 days because the back of his van was full of flowers and he did it last year. So that part is true. . .as for the rest. That is the thing I have to remember--you never know when they are telling the truth since they have lied so often. Being an adult child of an alcoholic (and I have gone to treatment for that--post marriage) I fell into a bad habit. That is why I love this place--it gets me back on track.
This morning he asked me if I told the kids and I said no and he should not either.
kj3880--it is his van but since we live in a state where when you are married you are considered the same person basically. So the van is in his name but the insurance is in both names. Same with my car--it is in my name but insurance is with both names. felicidade--good idea to insure the cars separately--if I can. After the divorce that will be a non-issue and I am unsure in our state with shared marital property if I can do this.
I am finding the closer I get to filing for divorce the more peace I feel for me and my kids.