OT- am i being selfish?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Searching for Serenity

OT- am i being selfish?

My mom just informed me that we're having a get-together for my grandmother's 82nd birthday this weekend, but I already had made plans to go see a movie with an old friend for that same time frame. We can't go to the movies later because she has valentines plans with her BF. I was so excited about going to see this movie with her, because it's been SOOOO long since i've gone to do something fun with a friend. When she called to invite me it made me really happy; I doubt whether I have any friends or not sometimes. I'm slightly worried that if I cancel we may not get another chance. I love my grandmother and I really want to see her for her birthday, so I guess I'm going to cancel my movie plans. But I can't help feeling disappointment because I had made these other plans first and the grandmother thing was planned at the last minute.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
God is leading the way!!!

I understand how your feeling, but those opportunity will arise again or you can see the movie on DVD on a later date with your friends. You will never forgive yourself if something were to happen to your grandmother and you didn't spend time with her over a movie with friends. Maybe your friends can come over and enjoy celebrating your grandmother's 82nd birthday. My grandmother passed away when I was very young and I miss her so much. The choice is yours make the best decision..6

Your SR friend Minerva:ghug3
Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching for Serenity

thanks for the advice.
amazonqueen, the opportunity will most likely not arise again anytime in the near future. this would have been the first time going somewhere with a friend that I wanted to go (without my little boy) in about 3 years. ive only actually been out 3 or 4 times since he's been born (2.5 years), all with my fiancee, none with my friends.

cynical one, good tip, but that wouldn't work either, because the party is in another town (1 hour away) and she wouldn't be back in time for her valentines date.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Any chance you can catch an ealrier show and arrive at Grandmas a little later than everyone else?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Searching for Serenity

i'm really kind of aggravated with my parents and aunts and uncles. because they plan these things at the last minute... they always do this, and we always have to rewrite all of our plans when we should have just planned for it weeks ago.

i'm not really angry, just disappointed.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Can you plan a private day with Grandma and plan something special?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by k1a2t3h4r5y6n7 View Post
i'm really kind of aggravated with my parents and aunts and uncles. because they plan these things at the last minute... they always do this, and we always have to rewrite all of our plans when we should have just planned for it weeks ago.

i'm not really angry, just disappointed.
Being predisposed towards control freakdom, this is easy, for me. I would take control of scheduling family events rather than wait for someone else to do so, at the last minute. Therefore, I have decided that next year, Grandma's 83rd birthday celebration will be on Sunday, February 21, 2010. What time works for you? 6
Old 02-13-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Searching for Serenity

we're going to see the movie on sunday.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LOL ~ OTL, I would do the same thing. My in-laws are so laid back, they can never make plans. Christmas comes the same time, every year, too ~ if it were left to them, Christmas plans would be considered around the 23rd or 24th.

Yep, my husband and I are the activity planners, in our families.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So - how did it go?

There were plans made with my parents and I about getting together with everyone for my dad on the Sunday after his birthday. Well - I had done the control thing and planned it - but it back fired.

I had a Jason Mraz concert the night of my dad's bday - and that morning I got calls from my brother saying he was getting everyone together that night for dad's bday. I had concert tickets! And what about the original plans? Well my bro ... aka "diddums" - one it. So like a big girl- I called my dad and apologized for not being there and we made plans for his own special bday at our house with just us 6. And he was over the moon.

Nothing drives me more nuts when other people think you don't have a life!

Hope you set your own boundary with what makes you crazy or not.

xo
Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Searching for Serenity

we had a nice time. we went to my grandparent's house on sat. and it was nice to see them. I knew it would be, I always enjoy seeing them its just that I feel like I can't just leave my schedule OPEN all of the time.

before we got the sunday movie worked out, my sister-in-law told me I should just go to the movie with my friends, (she was a little aggravated with them for planning at the last minute too, and also for planning it on saturday instead of sunday, my brother has to work on saturdays) but i told her, it's not my grandma's fault, i don't want to punish her.

But when we got there I asked about where my cousin and his wife and little boy were. My aunt rolled her eyes and said "they're going to see her parents and then they're going out for valentines." and my mom made some half-joking comment about "they should get their slack butts here."
I said "can I say something? If we planned things more than 2 days ahead of time then we wouldn't have to expect everyone to change all of their plans."
and my aunt said "yeah, i know, you're right."

it'll probably happen again next time though.