Notices

Hmmm, should I be feeling this way?

Old 02-12-2009, 04:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Hmmm, should I be feeling this way?

Ok, so its four for me. However, I have only had drinks 2 days out of the last 20. Now last Friday I saw and old mate, had a few beers. Next day felt fine. Sunday however I had some wine and didn't get a good night's sleep, but the withdrawl/hangover was tolerable. Since last night I have been feeling really weak, dizzy and anxious. Now is this normal? It doesn't make sense to me that after such a while or largely not drinking I am feeling so rough. Am I just exhausted?

Any clues? Anyone else felt like this? I really want it to go away.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congradulation on only 2 days drinking out of the last 20.

to have any idea about answering your question someone would need information about how much you drank, honestly, and about your mental and physical health

keep up the good work !!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know for me I can get back to my sick withdrawls VERY quickly even if I haven't drank in months. just me. No time off changes it for me.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

I had 6 pints last Friday and about 2 bottles wine on Sunday, staggered from 2pm until 1am.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I know for me I can get back to my sick withdrawls VERY quickly even if I haven't drank in months. just me. No time off changes it for me.
It used to be that I would have minor withdrawls if I had not drunk for a while and was well rested and not bloated, usually some anxiety or tiredness the next day, if that. I usually only get bad withdrawls if I go on a bender for several days or a week. That's why this is puzzling me. Although I binge drank on Sunday, the level of effect it's had isn't how my body usually reacts. Maybe I'm getting to the stage where its gets progessively worse and now I can't drink even if I manage it will power wise.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am still having some strange symptoms...not necessarily 'withdrawls as I did the first 4 or 5 days of sobriety....but some brain "fog" and mild anxiety, also some times I am not very motivated mentally or physically.

I think this journey takes some time....drank so much for so long, the body needs time to repair....the mind needs time to repair as well. I don't really know how long most folks' symptoms last....but I know I'm coming up on a month with no booze at all and still don't quite feel 'normal' yet...if there is such a thing anymore that I can recall..lol

Hang in there, eventually things will start to even out if you don't drink anything at all.

Peace.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Yeah. I'm supposed to be seeing some mates tomorrow so that will most probably invole a couple pints, but thereafter I think I'm gonna chuck it in for good. I'm sick of the now intolerance I have.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you talk to your dr about your physical symptoms.

Why not stop drinking today?
Old 02-12-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

18 months ago I was sober for 4 months, I felt exhuasted for a long time, my body just needed much rest after consistent drinking year or year... It does get better listen to your body... But you should also see your GP if you suspect anything more... You could well be lacking iron...
Old 02-12-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

EL: it all depends on HOW MUCH you drank for HOW LONG.. every persons body is different. the only way to heal is to remain sober..ODAT!
Old 02-12-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
I hope you talk to your dr about your physical symptoms.
Not really no. As far as the doctor is concerned the amount I drink these days isn't hugely out of the ordinary.
Why not stop drinking today?
I was wondering when someone would ask that. I guess because I want to share a glass of champagne with my fiance on Valentine's Day.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

There'salways a reason to 'not' stop drinking.

I wish you well!
Old 02-12-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by 24hrsAday View Post
EL: it all depends on HOW MUCH you drank for HOW LONG.. every persons body is different. the only way to heal is to remain sober..ODAT!
Well I was always a bit of a social binge drinker in my 20s - the peer pressure told me it was a cool thing to do. I'd go out and have about 10 beers in a session, maybe once or twice a week, or perhaps once or twice a fortnight. A couple years ago, while living on my own, I found myself adding the odd one or two drinks after work, but I no longer do that.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Elchupacabra.....don't drink with your friends when you see them.

Stop today friend.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
I want to share a glass of champagne with my fiance on Valentine's Day.
That may sound really romantic and all but what happens if you drink too much and then your fiance breaks it off. Does your fiance know that you are on SR and seeking help with your drinking problem? If not then maybe you should discuss that with him/her before things get so bad that you regret ever thinking about taking a drink on V day.

Peace,
Ken
Old 02-16-2009, 03:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Well, I did it and I drank on Friday, Saturday and yesterday. I feel really listless this morning and am struggling to stop yawning at my desk here. However, I meant what I said a couple days back. I am now giving up the sauce for a minimum of three weeks, and who knows, perhaps for good.

So my friends, today is day one and my biggest problem thus far is major faitgue. I wish I was in bed!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by OzSandy View Post
I'm now intolerant to the alcohol when I do drink, I think. The hangover after my last binge (after two weeks sober) was one of the worst I'd ever experienced, and it really turned me off. I've just done four weeks. Still in self-repair mode and it still feels a bit weird being sober.

We had a hot as hell heatwave and that did sap a fair bit of my energy and motivation, I think. But I'm getting going again now.
I am exactly where you are. Had two weeks off and second day of drinking I had a hangover that lasted a week. I was gonna do three weeks off the sauce this time around but I have decided on 4 weeks and then see where I'm at when I get there.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm on day 20 and yesterday I felt extremely tired. Fortunately, it was a day off so I was able to rest. I guess that could be normal. I'm also on way too many antidepressants and like many others, I wasn't completely honest with my doctor about my drinking habits. I'm still having dreams of drinking every night.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I guess I felt so bad from drinking every day that anything was an improvement. I never slept good. I'd toss and turn and be up most nights for a trip or two to relieve the bladder or to grab some water and tylenol. I still don't have the energy of my 6 year old but I sure feel better than I did.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld View Post
I guess I felt so bad from drinking every day that anything was an improvement. I never slept good. I'd toss and turn and be up most nights for a trip or two to relieve the bladder or to grab some water and tylenol. I still don't have the energy of my 6 year old but I sure feel better than I did.
That's what I'm hoping to achieve. The biggest thing to suffer has been my career. I'm a lawyer and its a very competitive field in the UK. Quite simply the drinking has meant that I haven't had the energy I once had and so I haven't been able to put that little bit extra effort in. It really upsets me.