Notices

mental obsession

Old 02-11-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mental obsession

hi to every one on sober recovery, i am new to this site and only two days sober, i have had a severe alcohol problem for the past ten years. it has got to the stage where abstinence is the only option for me, i have tried to cut down many times over the years with disasterous results. i want to stop so bad , and so want to be free of this mental obssesion. keep wondering if i can ever be happy without alcohol in my life?,ihas anyone got any kind words of advice for me? i just need some comfort and strength . i have to do this . thanks everyone, your threads are inspiring. this site is great xx
Old 02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome.

From my own experience I am 37 and am definitely an alcoholic hehe I stopped drinking last year in October and have never been happier in my life. I can remember worrying 7 years ago about living without alcohol and it took 7 more wasted years to get to a point where i was ready to get help and would be willing to give up anything or anyone to stay sober.

It's a very tricky disease and it will pplay with everey emotion and thought you have to make you keep drinking. IMO the only thing you can trust at the moment is your instinct for survival which is telling you to stop drinking, the rest i put down to having a drunk mind which is something you can, and need to, tackle in sobriety to avoid drinking again.

I went to an alcohol counseller in Spain, am from the UK, there will be some great ones in London i am certain. Alternatively you can go to AA, i am going to my first meeting on Friday, if you had said go to AA when i had just stopped i would have laughed at you but you will be amazed how much you change without the booze.

SR is a great place for support and keeping a focus on why you want to be sober, by reaching out and getting help i got that one so important thing back in my life...HOPE!

If i can do it you certainly can and will:-)
Old 02-11-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Originally Posted by ladyangelcake View Post
it has got to the stage where abstinence is the only option for me, i have tried to cut down many times over the years with disasterous results. i want to stop so bad , and so want to be free of this mental obssesion. keep wondering if i can ever be happy without alcohol in my life?
Welcome to SR ladyangelcake! My drinking got to the same stage where I knew abstinence was the only way. I couldn't control my drinking no matter how many times or how many ways I tried. When I came here I just knew this was it, I had turned a corner in my life and I was absolutely done with drinking. It is indeed a mental obsession. Keep fighting though and you will find you certainly can be happy without alcohol. Actually no happiness can be found with alcohol. Not for me anyway -- and I looked for a long time :ghug3 keep coming back, we're here for you...
Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Lady
and welcome to SR
congratulations on your sober time!
good for you for recognizing that you 'just can't drink'.
this is a great place full of wonderful support and information,
and I am glad you are here
Old 02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just want to say thanks for your encouraging kind words, you have given me hope xx

From my own experience I am 37 and am definitely an alcoholic hehe I stopped drinking last year in October and have never been happier in my life. I can remember worrying 7 years ago about living without alcohol and it took 7 more wasted years to get to a point where i was ready to get help and would be willing to give up anything or anyone to stay sober.

It's a very tricky disease and it will pplay with everey emotion and thought you have to make you keep drinking. IMO the only thing you can trust at the moment is your instinct for survival which is telling you to stop drinking, the rest i put down to having a drunk mind which is something you can, and need to, tackle in sobriety to avoid drinking again.

I went to an alcohol counseller in Spain, am from the UK, there will be some great ones in London i am certain. Alternatively you can go to AA, i am going to my first meeting on Friday, if you had said go to AA when i had just stopped i would have laughed at you but you will be amazed how much you change without the booze.

SR is a great place for support and keeping a focus on why you want to be sober, by reaching out and getting help i got that one so important thing back in my life...HOPE!

If i can do it you certainly can and will:-)[/QUOTE]
Old 02-11-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thankyou

thankyou so much for the lovely kind words, i am so grateful, you have given me hope x
Old 02-11-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Lady

Welcome to SR - Your words are so familiar, alcohol conumes most of your thoughts, always thinking about drinking, wishing I could stop, wishing I could have one, nursing a hangover... so much support here x
Old 02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi ladyanglecake.. i'm a sober alcoholic in A.A. (at this time) and i just "found" this site a few days ago.. it is a GREAT site! keep on coming around.. those first 120 hrs detoxing can be bad.. good luck and god bless you!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey L-cake
Welcome to SR.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, it a great place to be.

I began right after I quit drinking to wonder the same thing, can I ever be content again, without booze. I've had to dig deep down and try and remember life before it took over...who I was, what I liked, what was important to me....what gave me peace...after all, I haven't been drunk ALL my life.

It's a tough process...even tougher if you didn't have a decent life before alcohol, of which I cannot empathize...but the hard work is worth it....finding moments of peace.

God bless ya Lady.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Hi Lady, from another female recovering alcoholic. There really is a life after drink and its pretty good. Enjoy reading here and keep an open mind. I wish you well...
Old 02-11-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Either drink or don't drink were my only two options, there was no middle ground. And seeing as I was living the drinkers life for long enough and seeing what was in store for me in the future I knew that I didn't want to go down the road any further then I already have. It's taken me many tries to stay on the wagon but I'm finnaly on some solid ground, even though the road can be bumpy at times. Already things are clearing up and life is starting to be more enjoyable to me then I could of imagined.

This is a great place to be with lots of friendly people to chat with. So kick off your shoes and sit a spell!
Old 02-11-2009, 04:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lady,

It sounds like you're doing great!

For me, the mental obsession of addiction was huge. Of course, it's a downward spiral, and the more I drank, the more I needed to try to hide it, hence the obsessing increased. It was such a relief to stop drinking.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi ladyangelcake......Welcome! I'm a recovering opiate/cocaine addict, 139 days clean.
Addiction is like being in prison. I know because I was imprisoned for more than ten years!
Once you get some sober time under your 'belt', I swear you feel as though you've been set free! It's not always easy, but everyday that you resist the urge to use/drink, you become stronger. It's a nice feeling to look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of what you see! Anyway, you've decided to reach out, and that's a good thing. I'm proud of you!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site. I had six months sober and fell off the wagon. Got back up and fell off again. The third time has to be the charm cause I can't keep making myself sick all the time.

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 02-12-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was surprised that so much anxiety was lifted from me. I don't dread going to work anymore, I don't get so aggravated in traffic, and grocery shopping is easier because if it takes 2 hours on a Saturday, it's not so bad. I'm not itchy to get home, open a beer and "relax". The funny thing about relaxing is that my thoughts consisted of opening a beer. I didn't think of anything after that. My first weekend without beer, I sat with my daughter and her friends and watched 3 movies in a row. THREE! I couldn't remember ever paying attention to 1 all the way through. Never mind remembering what the movie was even about or how it ended. Now that was relaxing, even if they were the "saw" movies
Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thankyou

thankyou for your support and kind words xx
Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

thankyou so much for your support and kind words, you have given me hope and inspired me , i hope you continue to stay happy and sober xx
Old 02-12-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you found us....Welcome to our recovery community...

Is a non drinking life possible?
Absolutely! My sober years are fantastic.