Notices

Hello

Old 02-11-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I stumbled on this site and it had so much good information that has been helpful to me. Thank you!

I'm 36 years old. I've been drinking regular for 20 years. It started out as a weekend thing and has grown into daily over the past 7 years. Talk about denial. I always had excuses. I never lost a job, never mistreated the wife, no dwi's or wrecks. I was in control, right?

Not sure what made the light come on. Maybe it was busting my butt in front of my 6 year old because I was too drunk to walk, or blacking out the other week and losing a couple hours where I have no recollection of what I did, or maybe it was the fact I was starting to drink earlier and earlier and God knows I never stop until I pass out or go to bed.

You see, I have to quit doing this to myself. I'm tired or being tired, tired of the hangovers, tired of the grip that alcohol has on me. Tired of avoiding family and friends that don't drink because I'm too ashamed to binge in front of them. Tired of avoiding things like certain restaurants, church activities and even the movie theater because I can't drink there.

I'm just on day 3 and hanging by a thread. Sounds easy? Three days is my record over the last 7-8 years. But it's the first time I REALLY want to quit.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Samsonworld. Keep coming back, it only gets better. Good luck to you.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I'm on day 7 for me which I thought would never be possible. It's not been an easy time but the time spent here with the information, encouragement and support I've got from others has made a big difference. It's brought me a sense of happiness in knowing I'm not alone, that it is possible and that we're all in this together. I'm sure you will find a lot of useful and helpful things while you're here. Congratulations on your three days and try your hardest to stay as strong as you can. Keep reading and posting here and it will help to keep you focused on your goal of wanting to stay sober. I wish you all the luck in the world and will be praying for you in your endeavor. And once again congrats on three days!
Wes
Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you are here.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

welcome! you're in the right place, a good place.:ghug3
Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hello and welcome.............day 3 is fantastic..

How do you feel?........ok?

take it easy.........and keep posting.......you can do this no matter what your head says.......IT IS POSSIBLE and life can be good without it.

Hope to hear from you again........real soooooon.................trucker
Old 02-11-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks! I'm under no dellusions that I have super human will power. I think I'm going to need people that know exactly what I'm going through. I appreciate the posts. It let's me know I'm not alone.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trucker View Post
How do you feel?........ok?
To be honest, I felt pretty good until today. My head is hurting a little and is in a major fog (I can't concentrate worth poo), my skin is crawling and I feel jittery.

How are you guys/gals doing?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, glad you found us!
I like you was drinking very regualrly the last few yrs. And in front of my 6 yr old son fell on my ass leaving a monster truck jam, Im sure it was painfully obvious that I was drunk to him & everyone around me. He asked me the next day if could not drink that much anymore. Really a 6 yr old has to ask me that.

It still took me a few days after that, thinking I could cut back. Then I found this website, and thought - yep I'm not alone, everyone has a story & battels this daily.
Maybe I can do this with support!

I know everyday is a new & challenging day! Hope you come often & get any support & encouragement you need!

~Jules
Old 02-11-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld View Post
To be honest, I felt pretty good until today. My head is hurting a little and is in a major fog (I can't concentrate worth poo), my skin is crawling and I feel jittery.

How are you guys/gals doing?
Hi there! The next few days will be hard but it does get easier. Hang in there. I've just hit day 11 and feel so much better. The last few days I've been sleeping and eating well. Yesterday I hardly even thought about the drinking/quitting thing. It sounds like you drank much like I did only I probably was worse as some days I got up in the morning and drank all day.

There are lots of people on here who DO understand exactly how you feel and what you are going through. Come back often and let everyone help. I am sure this forum keeps me going through some of the tough spots.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I also wanted to extend a welcome to you too! This is a wonderful place filled with love, support, understanding, compassion and people from all over the world who can identify with what you are going through.

I hope you will stick around and share your Journey with us, ask questions along the way and remember,you are not alone.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You came to the right place! Keep coming back, people will suppport you and not judge you. When I felt like I was about to drink (on my 3rd day) I posted here and got tons of support. I didn't drink that day or since then.
Congrats on 3 day's. IT IS A BIG DEAL!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Sampson and congrats on your decision. That is half the battle but unfortunately it is the easy half.

I wish I had a six year old but sadly I didn't quit until my kids were grown and that is just recent.
Not being a healthy interested parent when my kids were growing up is my biggest reget, Don't make the same mistake as I did.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Man you sound like a bit younger version of me and my plight Samsonsworld.

Welcome here to SR. Been a life saver for me.

Hang in there my friend.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mamabin View Post
You came to the right place! Keep coming back, people will suppport you and not judge you. When I felt like I was about to drink (on my 3rd day) I posted here and got tons of support. I didn't drink that day or since then.
Congrats on 3 day's. IT IS A BIG DEAL!!!

Perhaps there is something to that 3 day wall? Just hope I can break through. I have my first AA meeting tonight. I'm a little nervous. But if they are half as wonderful as you guys (and gals), I'm sure it will be OK.

Thank God for all these paper clips and rubber bands on my desk. I can't quit fidgeting! I told the wife I'd always thought alcohol withdrawal was BS. I could quit anytime I wanted. Blah! Blah! Yeah right! Turns out I was never off the sauce long enough to experience it. I'd love to say I'm enjoying sobriety, but so far, this sucks.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

great job samsonsworld. i'm only on my 10th day but can tell you it'll get better. on my third day i had only had 2 hours sleep from the previous two days. i finally got some sleep that night.

the sleep still hasn't been really peaceful yet but it is so much better. one thing i like to do when i get fidgety is pick up some 20 pound dumbells that i keep in my office and at home and do a set of curls with them. believe it or not it will release enough endorphins to fight some of the fidgetyness off.

stick around with us and keep us updated. we're here for you.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 3 was tough for me. I stayed right here on this site.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This site has helped me a lot. I am very grateful for all of you.

I woke up with a heck of a 'sobriety hangover' this morning, but unlike yesterday, it's starting to pass. I'm thinking clearer and I feel better. I'm starting to think I can do this.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld View Post
This site has helped me a lot. I am very grateful for all of you.

I woke up with a heck of a 'sobriety hangover' this morning, but unlike yesterday, it's starting to pass. I'm thinking clearer and I feel better. I'm starting to think I can do this.
Welcome! I'm on day 7, and doing ok. The longest I've gone without drinking in probably a decade. I've had night sweats and crazy dreams, and then the cravings every evening to get through. But I feel pretty good ever morning!

Ian
Old 05-14-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

BUMP

Been a while. I failed. Miserably. Quit for 5-6 months. Thought I could be like regular people. Started having a drink or two, then came a 6 pack, and then back to my old ways of drowning myself 7 days a week. Dear God, I swore I wouldn't let this happen! Only this time, according to my doctor, I'm starting to have liver issues. I don't really want to quit. I HAVE to. I'm afraid that is a recipe for disaster. I never really learned how to enjoy life sober.

This place helped me once. Here I go again. Feeling like a big idiot.