Notices

Tricks & Tips to sobriety - off the wall

Old 02-10-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Tricks & Tips to sobriety - off the wall

What are some "non-conventional" things you do that help you to remain sober?

One of the things I do is a sort of guided imagery. I hope I can explain this without sounding like a person in need of a straight jacket.

I created an image for my alcohol cravings and sketched a picture of it. It looks like this crazy, hairy, out of control troll that stomps around and acts like a 3 year old that has just been told it can't have a piece of candy. When I feel like drinking, I imagine this little troll stomping around my brain and throwing things and acting like... well a nutty troll.

When I visualize my desire to drink as a nutty troll I can with more ease laugh at it or get angry with it (whatever emotion I need to make it through) and tell it no because I do not take life directions from capricious little trolls. On the flipside, when I passively think about "socially drinking" I think of the troll switching tactics. Brushing it's hair out, making itself look like a happy warm little friend but yet still the same troll that wants me to drink. I also visualize it getting smaller and smaller everytime I defeat it by not giving in.

LOL. Anyhow, sounds silly when explaining it but it does help me.

Any others?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

LOL. you know whatever it takes. It seems like you are a creative kind of person. I actually could see the troll stomping around. Good job.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

...Changes

If you usually drink in the same place...
table.... chair...couch...
move the furniture around.

Don't use the same type drinking container.
Cans? Pour the non alcholic drink into a glass
Glass? change to a plastic cup

Hope this helps some of you because....
Recovery Really Rocks!
Old 02-10-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I LOVE it Sara! Is there enough room in the straight jacket for me????
Old 02-10-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Wow.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I have to think about this one a while, but I am sure I can come up with something
Old 02-10-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Sara9009 View Post
I created an image for my alcohol cravings and sketched a picture of it. It looks like this crazy, hairy, out of control troll that stomps around and acts like a 3 year old that has just been told it can't have a piece of candy.

That's cool.

I wish I had something like that to contribute.

All I do is go for a walk until the anger subsides.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sara,

What a great image! Thanks for that!

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-10-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hollyce Jones

Avoidance and Reasessment

I have changed my social habits and am generally home more often. This has given me more time to work on MY stuff. (It's strange to think about all the time I've spent socializing with friends... filling in the blanks with people and their STUFF... and how all that time could have been used more constructively.)

I'm officially calling 2009 200MINE.
Now I'm getting off of this darn computer, and heading to my sewing room to work on this quilt I hope to finish before the month expires.

I like your troll imagery!
I suppose, I have a little troll in me too. It wants me to take a sip of some beer, or wine every day... and to still be the party girl on weekends... which is SOOO not going to happen. :P
Old 02-10-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
...Changes

If you usually drink in the same place...
table.... chair...couch...
move the furniture around.

Don't use the same type drinking container.
Cans? Pour the non alcholic drink into a glass
Glass? change to a plastic cup

Hope this helps some of you because....
Recovery Really Rocks!
That's really great advice especially the cups. I was drinking my "drink of choice" Fresca and I couldn't figure out why it was really bothering me. I finally realized it was my same cup I drank wine out of. (I was a real wine connoisseur haha) and went for boxed with some ice in it in a plastic cup. Anyhow, I had to throw out all of the plastic cups I had and replace them with new ones.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I decided the other night that I was going to drink. I went to the store with a purpose to buy wine. I told myself that if I was going to drink I should at least drink red wine because it is healthier than the white wine I usually drink. I stood in the wine aisle and made the decision that if I had to drink red wine I really didn't want it and walked out of the store...not nearly as interesting as the troll but it worked...not sure why...
Old 02-10-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
I decided the other night that I was going to drink. I went to the store with a purpose to buy wine. I told myself that if I was going to drink I should at least drink red wine because it is healthier than the white wine I usually drink. I stood in the wine aisle and made the decision that if I had to drink red wine I really didn't want it and walked out of the store...not nearly as interesting as the troll but it worked...not sure why...
Congrats on not drinking!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mergirl

Again not as cool as the troll, but I picture the guy telling me to drink as my little shoulder devil, and he always looks stupid enough to laugh at. When I quit speed, I made myself believe that the taste and smell totally grossed me out (and I didnt even know I was doing it). I did the same thing with cigs, and now when I walk past the liquor isle I shudder as if I just took a shot of tequila (which has always grossed me out). It's not something I try to do willfully, the mind is a bizarre piece of equipment to be sure
Old 02-10-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hollyce...I really like 200MINE!!!!! Isn't it the truth that we can't take care of anyone else and certainly not unless we take care of ourselves first. IMHO, it is only when we are able to love ourselves that we are capable of loving others. For too many years I confused need or dependence with true altruistic love.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When i first got sober i decided to try to remember some things i like doing before alcohol consumed all my interest in anything.

When i was a kid i loved to read and fish.

So today both are a big part of my life..........im a prolific reader of mainly fiction......thrilllers.

And go through a lot of audio books when im working.

And i like to spend time fishing with some sober/clean pals i have..
As a group we sometimes take newcomers for a couple of days..

All good for the soul..

Its great to think that i sometimes rush home to finish a good book

Instead of every waking thought being about booze and how to get MORE.

trucker
Old 02-10-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I pictured that orange guy on tv........"hunger" I think it is a diet ad......love that little dude, especially the tap dance. He can be my "troll."
Old 02-10-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

At the advice of my Doctor I have the following taped to my fridge, set as the background to my work computer, background on my home computer, and background on my iphone:

It's 3 things,

1. My daily list to keep me focused amidst a million distractions all day long,
2. Most importantly my mantra not to drink again
3. A saying I admire.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Sara...I loved your "Troll" imagery!! Simply smashing that is...quite inspiring...

When Pancake quit on New Year's Day 2009, it took me 2 whole days to wash the ugly (actually beautiful) wine glasses which I always used for my white wine. I decided to hide them in one of the top cupboards as high up as could be and one I never look into!

After about one week, (I live in a very small town of 4500 ppl) I always bot my wine at the same Hotel Liquor Store each and every day of the week! Well, I gave this one alot of thot first and then I drove my truck up there walked in "Brave as punch" and told the nice lady who knows me well..."I quit drinking on Jan 1st...SO......no need to order cases of my only favorite wine from now on" I was so surprised at the response!! She CLAPPED for me and told me Congratulations!! Well, It's been a good incentive cuz I have nowhere to hide and it would be a might embarassin' to walk in there now and buy wine!!!!

Pancake
Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
I pictured that orange guy on tv........"hunger" I think it is a diet ad......love that little dude, especially the tap dance. He can be my "troll."
Its the new slimfast ad. I love that guy
Old 02-11-2009, 12:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I had

PROGRESS

tattoed on my stomach in big letters, every morning i see it in the mirror, it is a reminder for me and i want to be able to look in the mirror in years to come and smile. It is more a reminder to keep growing in recovery to get sober than just not drinking. I love it:-)