a sign pointing to recovery

Old 02-10-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a sign pointing to recovery

22 AS stopped here a little bit ago. Says he just got kicked out of paternal relative's house (a black hole of enabling). That in itself is a good thing.

But wait! there's more! When he asked if he could move back here, i naturally directed the conversation to his primary problem of drugs and alcohol and is he willing to address that. FOR THE FIRST TIME, he talked calmly about it. He was not defensive, he did not roll his eyes, he did not get angry, he did not tell me that i go to too many of those drug classes. He actually took the piece of paper with the phone number for a referral interview (every other time he has just left that same piece of paper sit on the table and not even touched it). This time he was looking at it, touching it, and nervously rolling the bottom of the paper as we talked about treatment.

Will he go?? Don't know - this whole thing is in God's hands and i'm not waiting on pins and needles hoping he'll go. He may not really be ready. But i was priviledged (sp?) to witness the progression of my son's brain toward recovery. Thank you, God, for that.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I am going to go out on a limb here and say it seems like a good sign. Praying that it is

(((((BIGHUG))))) don't forget to take really good care of yourself.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That would be wonderful! I will be praying for your son and you.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sending prayers. It took my daughter a few times of getting numbers from me before she finally made that call, but she did. Hugs, Marle
Old 02-11-2009, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its such a relief when they finally admit they have a problem and can talk about it. I'll never forget the first time my son said "i'm an addict" - i had never said it to him before because I knew the fight that would take place. But he said it and i was so relieved that he finally saw the truth. Then months later he added "I'm an addict and i cant control myself - I need help." Wow - again - he got it on his own. Not to say that all his problems miraculously dissappeared but at least we could finally talk about the elephant in the room.

I celebrate with you that your son has hit step one.