Notices

Great news...

Old 02-10-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Great news...

Well, I got a phone call approximately 30 minutes ago and it was a very pleasing phone call. Since I was finally able to get a hold of the AA number in the local area and talked to the POC, he got a hold of another member near me. The guy near me just called me up to ask for directions to my house and said he would be more than happy to give me a ride to the meeting tonight.

So tonight will be my first AA meeting and I am looking forward to it. This is great news to me. But, at the same time I'm somewhat nervous because I tend to be when it comes to any kind of group setting. I tend to get nervous when I think about even going to church. Good thing is, after a few minutes of being in the setting I tend to calm down and feel more comfortable. I am really looking forward to this experience to see what it is about and to see if it would be a big help for me. So, keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I make the 7:30pm (EST) meeting tonight. I'm gonna do this and make the best of it and am glad something finally did work out.
Wes
Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your meeting goes well!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great news Wes.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How cool! Please write a little something after you go to that meeting. Pretty crazy right? Someone you don't even know, willing to do what they can to help you out?

Enjoy that meeting Wes. I hope your first meeting moves you in the way my first one did me. Good stuff.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

CoF......i've loved the positivity of your posts. you come across as a kid that has discovered how wonderful chocolate is for the first time. just remove kid and chocolate and replace with adult and sobriety and that's you.

everyone's experience is different. i'm one of those that feel great right now too. i sometimes hesitate to post that as i know some others are really hurting and i try to be sensitive to that. i would never want someone to feel worse than they already do.

good luck at your meeting and stay strong my brutha.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi Wes,

Love your post! Almost exactly the same experience as my first AA meeting!

From my first post on SR, December 17, 2007 (my sobriety date ):
Last night (after sobering up), I had an amazing discussion with an AA member who invited me to a meeting tonight, no pressure...just to listen and get support. This will be my first meeting and I am nervous but I will do what I have to do.
You will be just fine!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck with your meeting! I'm interested to know what goes on at AA. So far I've opted not go go that route since I seem to be doing ok so far (only 5 days into it) but I feel pretty good and only have one time per day where I crave alcohol.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for helping me to feel more confident into going to my first AA meeting. I will definitely post when I get back home about how it went and keep and update on myself for those who are interested. Thank you all so much!

Wes
Old 02-10-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hey there, Wes!

That was great news in reading your post! There's something really special about AA mtgs.... all the alcoholics united to stay sober one more day!

One thing to keep in mind.... each meeting is different. Look for the "similarities" and not the "differences". One alcoholic helping another alcoholic is what it's all about, friend! Good job! Please let us know how it was for you, K???

:ghug3
Old 02-10-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Will definitely keep everyone updated nicki!
Wes
Old 02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

imo there is a higher power looking out for you.. Great news. Keep an open mind wes. It worked for me.