Notices

Took me a while to get here...

Old 02-10-2009, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Took me a while to get here...

but I'm here. I'm 30 years old and i guess i've basically been an alcoholic since the first time i got drunk at 18. Throughout college i'd say i'd get drunk on the weekends with friends and often had blackouts. I would not drink during the summer for whatever reason, just at school. At 21 i got involved with my now ex husband. We were together 4 years and i didnt drink much at all during that time. The last year we were together, i can probably count on my hand the number of times i even drank alcohol at all. After he ended our relationship is when things got bad. At ages 25, 26, and 27 i'd say i drank or got drunk almost every weekend. I had people tell me they thought i' had a problem.

The past 6 months have been bad. I would drink every day if i could. I dont....but on friday and sunday of this weekend I drank an entire bottle of wine (and then some). My low point was about a week ago. I decided to go out to some of the bars in my neighborhood and get drunk. I acted incredibly obnoxious...swung on a pole in the bar, stopped on the st to talk to two police officers (lucky for me i have cops in my family, otherwise i'd have probably been arrested) I then drove home. I had minor car accident this past fall where i hit a parked car.

Overall i just become a different person when i drink. I've told myself, ok you can have one glass of wine and that's it. But it never ends up being just one glass, i always have to drink the whole bottle. It's awful. I went to an AA meeting last night and last week.

I am worried about telling people I'm in AA. I just feel like they'll judge me. I do have a hard time with the fact that I will not be able to drink alcohol at all. Isnt that what being sober is about here? you cant drink at all? If that's what it will take, i[ll do it...but i know it will be difficult.

Any advice you have would be great...I just need support right now.

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You are not alone.

Keep coming back.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

re

Thanks. I do feel like my life is a mess and I'm not happy...i am just telling myself that it will get better if I at least stop drinking.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
God is leading the way!!!

It took you a while to get here but you got here,

Welcome to SR we are here to give you all the support you need,:ghug3
Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep coming here and reading and posting and I'm sure you'll find a lot of helpful information. You're not alone in this as a lot of us are sobering up because of the negative actions from our use of alcohol. I'm 6 days sober now and it's been an interesting 6 days. I've found a lot of support and encouragement here. So keep visiting, reading and posting and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
Wes
Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Lizzy.
We are here to help each other.
If you are an alcoholic the first drink will lead to a second, third and fourth so the only way to go is to not have the first one.
Telling people that you are going to AA is on a need to know basis. You can simply say you are quitting drinking or you are cutting down if any asks wht aren't you drinking.
if you want to quit you will and everyone here at SR is here to give you all the encouragement you need.
Good luck.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, lizzy. You say it took you awhile to get here, but it took me decades longer, so please be proud of yourself for seeing what needs to be done at a young age. Finding SR was the best thing I could ever have done for myself. Once you know you're not alone, it makes all the difference. Everyone here understands and has compassion for what we've gone through. You won't find judgmental attitudes or self-righteousness (well, there was one recent exception ). Looking forward to helping you on your way...I love Boston, it's a great town.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Welcome, Lizzy
As you can see from the great posts so far, there is wonderful support here...and there is a lot of good information, so have a look around
glad you found us
Old 02-10-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hey Lizzy.... WELCOME!

Just a thought... you don't have to tell anyone that you're going to AA. It's no one's business other than yours! You will find a lot of support there as well as here on the boards! We have a dis-ease! We get our strength, encouragement, etc., from others who completely identify with our illness. It's not a "ME" thing. It's a "WE" thing! Keep reaching, reading and posting. We've got your back!

:ghug
Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR....great place to start the sober life.

Peace.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

I am glad you joined us! Lot's of great people and support here.

I definitely think letting people know you are in recovery is on a need to know basis. For me, I decided to come clean to close family members because it was a way for me to hold myself accountable.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

lizzygirl78,

Welcome to SR and our little family. I am finishing up on day 9 and can tell you that this is one of the best resources I have to help me stay sober.

Now, from my experience, there is no such thing as controlling my drinking. If I have one beer, I will have 12. The first one is what starts the snowball.

I also have no problem telling anyone about either the meetings I go to or the recovery board I am a part of. You would be surprised at how many people are actually much more supportive than judging. At least that's my experience. But I also agree with Nicki when she said that you dont actually have to tell anyone about AA. It is your business and no one else's. At least you can always come here to share. I promise you, no one here will judge you.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Lizzygirl It sounds like you are taking steps in the right direction. This site is full of support. Visit often.