Back from a business trip

Old 02-08-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back from a business trip

That photo is from a drive the first day away from our convention. We spent one day at the convention and the next four sightseeing in the NV, AZ, and Utah area. We go there every year and it never gets old because there's so much to see.

We took my husband's mom and oldest bro with us. His mom turned 80 last week and has a ton of energy. This trip was our present to her. She was hiking around like a teenager. You'd never know she's an alcoholic of many many years by appearances alone. Thankfully she never got publicly drunk on this trip, but I have no doubt she was drinking in her room at night.

The brother is the one who tested me. He's a lot of fun in small doses, but being with him for practically 24/5 opened my eyes to many things I'd rather remained ignorant about. He can be very self involved (50 and never been married), rude, full of resentment and defensive.

We got into a conversation at dinner one night and I could tell you the whole story, but I'll spare you. I wish he would have spared me lol! I had to practice all my detachment skills in a split second because I was under attack. I succeeded, stayed on topic, then excused myself to join others. I did it with grace and poise I did not know I had.

I felt so bad for my husband during the entire trip. With his mom being in her own world (typical elderly lady stuff) and him making sure of her safety, then his brother being in his own self involved world... well, my husband was finally tiring of his own control freak tendencies. It was a huge breakthrough for him.

When it looked like we might miss our flight home, he rolled with it and started looking on the bright side, planning where we might go eat lunch until the next flight, etc. We made the flight but it was without all the usual stress. Waiting in line to check our bags, he asked me to slap him if he got a panic attack

We came home to a very clean house (forgot to mention my RAD is back at home) and all is well. I'll post some more photos in a little bit; I have quite a few to edit!
Old 02-08-2009, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are back! Wow, what an opportunity to work your program, gal! :ghug :ghug

Can't wait for the rest of the photos!
Old 02-08-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like a memorable trip, for lots of reasons! Welcome home and looking forward to some pics!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome home! Good to hear your daughter is home and well. Looking forward to more pictures. Is that picture in Nevada or Utah? Looks like a place I went last year, but can't remember where exactly.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like a wonderful trip, using your tools very well. As soon as I saw the pic I was WOW, my sister lives in Utah, and when I went to visit her for the first time I was amazed at how beautiful it is. I felt like I was close to heaven just sitting out on her patio looking at the mountains. (and I'm usually the one who loves to look at the water lol)
Old 02-09-2009, 12:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Chino)))

Glad you had a good time, despite a few in-law issues, and that you didn't have to smack hubby I'm also glad you're daughter is home, since that means she wants to be part of the family again.

Good thing you took your recovery toolbelt with you! You never know when you're going to need that sucker!

The picture is gorgeous..looks like one of those places where you get lost in the beauty of this earth.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-09-2009, 01:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'd love to visit those areas and hope to see more pictures too.

Your husband sounds like fun, getting caught up in everyone else's "stuff" and then finding his sense of humour to get through it.

Welcome home, Chino, glad it all turned out well.

Hugs
Old 02-09-2009, 01:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My daughter came back three days after leaving. She has a lot of codie stuff she's working through and had a Hep B scare, too. Her old bf told her he has it so she was on pins and needles waiting for the tests to come back. She's clean and that includes HIV, thank you God. Anyway, she had been hanging out with a old friend (not an addict) and her newborn. Nothing like a baby crying every two hours during the night to give someone a dose of reality

I learned a lot about my husband on this trip, things I never thought about during the last 25 years. With his mom being an alcoholic, his meth addicted nephew committing suicide years ago, our recovering daughter -- I'll have a lot to talk about when I see my therapist this week. All of it explains so much about him and I have more compassion for him than ever before.

OK, I have over 100 photos but I'll post just a few. I've been editing all through the day and this night, still not finished and thankfully don't have to work today or I'd never make it

Like the first one, these are thumbnails and if you click on them they'll open bigger.

This last one is special to me. I was standing there alone 'reading' the petroglyphs, when a beautiful warm breeze blew between the canyon walls. The sun was shining down on me and I turned my face into the wind, letting it blow my hair behind me and closing my eyes. It was a perfect moment when everything felt right in the world. I emptied my mind, gave silent thanks and listened to the voice of my Creator.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Those are wonderful photos, Chino, the way they capture the light makes me feel like I am standing right there.

That last picture is very interesting and it must be amazing to stand where you know someone stood a million or so years ago. The warm breeze may have been a message from them to welcome you to their special place.

Thanks for sharing all this.

Hugs
Old 02-09-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow - beautiful pics! Thanks!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

loved the pics.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Wow, Chino! Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

HG
Old 02-09-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A few more for now

Ann, my husband does have a really good sense of humor when he's done ranting about something. He tries hard to shake stuff off and move on. I have to keep working on maintaining my balance while he works on his.

SB, I love the water too. I live on a lake/river and can't imagine living anywhere else unless it's somewhere around the Four Corners area. I know that's extreme but water and desert both give me tranquility
Old 02-09-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Chino, I've always dreamed about living by the water, we're about 2 1/2 hours from the ocean. Then when my sister moved (approx 4 yrs ago) and I went to visit I was really impressed by the view. And of course the face that I could sit on her patio (just me) in just a sweatshirt.....and this was in mid January. Oh, did I say that I also dream about living where it's warm. lol

Again, thank you for sharing those pics, just breath-taking.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

SB, Cape Lookout is one of my favorite places. From watching a sunrise to an electrical storm, to the north Atlantic crashing into the warmer southern waters on the point. Hawaii was heaven on earth and it was easy to see why so many stay for good.

Anyway, last ones and then I'm done. Can you tell I had fun chasing after the moon? I've also had fun editing my photos and getting them ready to print. This trip reminded me the only thing that stands in the way of me having fun and excitement, is me