Waiting for the other shoe to drop

Old 02-07-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waiting for the other shoe to drop

I called a friend last night. She had called me a couple of weeks ago to tell me that her boyfriend was out of the house doing crack. She said that he was spending all his time at a crack house, wasting away his paycheck and her life was miserable. So you understand, it was my X who turned him on to crack. She has left him a million times came back a million times, and has been honest enough to say that she has never been able to take care of herself, by herself.

She was totally surprised that my X and I had broken up a year ago. She couldn't believe that I could let him go. I still can't believe I ever let him stay. I explained that using me and lying to me, physically hurting me was one thing, but I hit my bottom when I realized he was cheating. Equally because she knows of our history I explained that I certainly was not at my best either. I take full responsibility for acting in ways that were not me and were quite beneath me. I became a monster myself. I found it hard to live a lie. I found it hard to share my fiance with someone else or several other women, depending on his need.

She told me that everything was all right now. Her boyfriend said that he was done with his friends ( they all got arrested) and he was back home for good and he was going to be good. He told her that in no way was he ever going to do crack again, just pot and drinking. I sat on the other end of the line and I couldn't speak.

The only thing I could tell her was a drug, is a drug, is a drug. Keep care of your finances and you may want to inform yourself on the reality of this situation. I knew that whatever else I said would fall on deaf ears. I could see so much of myself in this it was scary. I remembered how so many people stared at me with bandages on my head or a black eye, and knew that whatever they said would fall on deaf ears.

And so the story goes, and the stories are all so much the same. I will be there for her when she needs me, and it would be a great surprise to me if that day didn't come.

It's kind of ironic, that she had called me. My X took this man down to live in hell, takes no responsibility for doing so and yet, he never calls or sees him anymore. Moved on to better friends I guess, fresh prey!
Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well your X took him down a path he was will to go. I don't think your X husband is responsible for his addiction, the man made a choice. I am glad you got away from the man and your living a happy life.......you deserve it.