Money and the Teenage Addict

Old 02-07-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Money and the Teenage Addict

Hi again!

As I have posted previously, I have absolutely no trust in my AD. She is 19, living at home, recently out of rehab, and trying to remain sober. She is taking more steps in the right direction than the wrong.

My question is, how do I handle giving her money for small things like coffee? I probably shouldn't give her any money at all but I would like to occasionally let her buy something. She is looking for a job but doesn't have one yet and I want to let her buy a cup of coffee or food at school but I don't trust her with any cash. Do those prepaid cash cards work? My concern is that she would buy something, return it and she would get cash. The purchases made on them are trackable so I could watch where she buys ( I hate feeling like the police). Do you think she would exchange a 25 dollar card (I would never give her one worth more) for drugs? I would think a dealer would want cash and not exchange drugs for a cash card?

Thanks!

Marlie
Old 02-07-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My daughter's part time employer closed the shope, so right now she is unemployed.

My daughter returned to school, at a local community college.

I do not give her a dime.

She is welcome to take a sandwich /water from home.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They can trade anything for for drugs. I agree with Out. Let her take a sandwich and water from home. One of the things that I do with my daughter, who is recovering, is to give her the dignity of facing her consequences and that means if she can afford it, she can have it. Has your daughter earned that cup of coffee. How did she afford her drugs. Addicts are very wiley creatures. Just be careful. Hugs, Marle
Old 02-07-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One other thing is that if your daughter wants to be clean, this will be one more reminder to her why she never wants to go back. Hugs, Marle
Old 02-07-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not as hard ass as some, I guess. I would give her a couple of bucks a day for soda or coffee, until she gets on her feet if she is clean and participating in a recovery program. You can't get far on 2 dollars in the using world. Never more than $5 at a time though. Just my opinion.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm with sleepygoat on this one. I would and have giving my son money for lunch and told him to bring me a receipt and I will replace it with money for tomorrow. No receipt, no more money.