Notices

Some people don't get it.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BKP

Angry Some people don't get it.

I try to talk to some people about me being sober, living this sober life. It is hard enough, as well all know and a lot of people support and care for our decisions. Tough decisions. Some people's reactions are "like, forever you are quitting?" Well this is my advice, If i hit you one time in the face one day and tomorrow hit you in the groin, and the next day in the knee I bet you will get sick of it right? Well it goes with drinking, it is physcial and mental abuse. So then I guess you would get it.

Just had to let off some steam we all know it.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BKP

ps- had some diet tonic water and lime, at Uno's tonight with dinner, we sat near the bar and saw people all bunched together trying to be first for drinks and waiting like a bread line. I am not knocking people who drink i did it for almost 2 decades but wow! Is it really worth it? I guessnot "I can see clearly now that the beers are gone"
Old 02-06-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Thay is how I feel right now too about the bar scene and it was my life for so long. I wasted a long time sitting on a bar stool too. What the hell were we thinking?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
BKP

We were not thinking just reacting. I am grateful to have you guys give me pieces together we are a whole. At least we are not a whole mess like before.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For instant understanding and support.....
try your local AA

Forward we go...side by side
Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think now that I am back working the bar/bowling alley scene it will be alot more funny to watch people get stupid knowing I won't be acting like that in public ever again!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Sometimes it's interesting to look around at restaurants that I used to drink at, a majority of the people aren't drinking. I never knew. Glad to be part of THAT team now!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's for that reason, that I choose to not talk about my 'not drinking'.

Here at SR, we do understand.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't talk about my not drinking either. I never spent time on a bar stool, I drank beer at home. So today is tough. But all I have to do is go next door and see how drunk my inlaws are and that'll be enough for me. It gets ridiculous when people start to slur their speach and repeat themselves. And that's where I was.
My husband's thrilled with me and my beer money is going into my tattoo jar (it's one of my passions) so I have alot of incentive here. Although today is only day 10 for me.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Resident

Originally Posted by mamabin View Post
But all I have to do is go next door and see how drunk my inlaws are and that'll be enough for me.
My husband's thrilled with me and my beer money is going into my tattoo jar (it's one of my passions) so I have alot of incentive here. Although today is only day 10 for me.
If my inlaws lived next door I would go nuts. You aren't one of those Barones are you?

Put up a pic of the next tat you are going to get with the beer money.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I understand what it's like to tell someone what it's like that you're trying to live sober. Told my family and they're just like "Grow the hell up and be a man and just control it. I can stop after 2 why can't you?" It's like a lot of people really don't understand what we're going through. They don't understand we can't just have two and walk away like it's no big deal. I kind of wish the people who don't understand would look up something about this terrible disease so they'd understand where we come from. But that's okay though because we're all in this together helping each other out. Well, sorry, guess I had to blow off some steam myself.
Wes
Old 02-07-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep people just don't get it. I spent the afternoon trying to explain about it, i think he got why i had to stop drinking...a little bit anyway. I then went onto explain how to stay sober i must be working on changing my previous lifestyle and drunken learned way of living to avoid being a dry drunk. he didn't get that at all but hey at least he made an effort so he is quite a good friend:-)

I could not face the evening with him and his wife though, they both drink a lot and he gets a little drunk to say the least and then talks absolute ****, and i mean absolute lol If i was still drinking we would have been having an intelligent conversation that anyone in ear shot would not be able to understand but sober, ican say for his part he is talking bollocks! I'm pretty sure i wastoo, when i was drunk hehe
Old 02-07-2009, 05:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Some people get it. When I told some people I was quitting, they told me good luck and God bless as if they wished they had the power to do it. It makes me proud to think we all have the ability to beat something that many people will never have/want to control. Alcohol controls society, and we arent letting it control us.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry, way off topic, kind of curious, what is "bollocks"?
Wes