Notices

Working on Day 2 One Step At A Time

Old 02-06-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Working on Day 2 One Step At A Time

Well, this is day 2 for me sober. So far so good. I was expecting a lot worse. But things are still at a level that's not too bad. Shakey hands somewhat. Had a cup of coffee when I got up, that seemed to make them shake more, but only lasted 5 or 10 minutes. A bit nervous about being around people, but still have been able to talk myself into going out to talk with family for a minute or two earlier. Guess I'll just put one foot in front of the other and just keep making my best effort to move forward. Figured I'd write another post try to take my mind off of thinking about wanting a drink. Guess I'm trying to tell myself it's not me that wants the drink, it's just the drink that wants me.

But, either way gonna fight it, thanks to the help and support of wonderful people here and some will power. Hopefully soon I can find a way to get a ride to start doing AA and see if I can get involved in something like that. It might help. I'm willing to give all possibilities consideration. Not really so much depressed or anything anymore as I am nervous. But, with time it'll pass. I'm in a fairly good mood knowing I can come post here and read other posts and hopefully learn some very useful things. So that's very comforting and does put a smile on my face. I'm thankful for that. And also thankful I woke up to another beautiful day, sober so that I can enjoy the day. Sure is better than waking up to that j.d. and being in a drunk stupor not sure what day it is or what time it is. So I'm happy to be sober even if it is uncomfortable.
Wes

Last edited by CoF1984; 02-06-2009 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Added Name
Old 02-06-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats for making it past the first day! Today is day 2 for me as well. I think you have the right attitude....that you can do it....one day at a time. No one said it would be easy. But it will be worth it. I'm right there with you! I hope your day gets a little easier for you.

Erin
Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Guess I'm trying to tell myself it's not me that wants the drink, it's just the drink that wants me. I like this line as it rings true.

The first few days are the hardest I think but our will at this point is usually stronger so as others have you can make it through this difficult time and start to gather an even stronger inner strength if that makes any sense.

Keep drinking that water or juices to keep hydrated and just go out and enjoy the day.
As you can see from my post count posting and reading here really helps me keep on the straight and narrow.

I haven't gone to AA but I may check out a meeting just to keep an open mind. It is not the only way to recovery I know that.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It definitely is a hard struggle, but in the long run so worth and I'll be so happy in the long run because of how great I'll feel. Especially knowing and remembering what I did last night. Them nights of being drunk and calling people at 2 am not making any sense and losing a lot of friends from that kind of stuff is not worth it. Plus all the great health benefits from going sober.

Was also wondering, if anybody else out there that sobered up from drinking also smokes and has noticed a difference in their smoking pattern since they quit drinking. I've noticed that my smoking has increased dramatically in these first two days of being sober. I went from 8-10 cigerattes a day while drinking to a whole pack a day while sober. I know smoking is another bad vice I have to give up and quit being a slave to, but gonna take it one addiction at a time. Was wondering for opinions or similar experiences. Thank you all for being so great!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there - so pleased you are on day two, I am on day three... If its not already, try de-caf coffee for now it might not add to your shakiness... I like the line guess I dont want a drink, the drink wants me...That is how I am coping by telling myself I am not my addition.. I dont want a drink.. I have gone as far as visualising my addiction as a whole new person .... Sounds madness but its workin wonders x x I wish you so well and hope we can help each other x
Old 02-06-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on day two CoF and backporchpoet.

Keep posting and spending time here - for me it works as a support community in a way I never imagined!

It helped me to think the situations through ahead of time and have a plan - like going out with family or friends, or even to the corner for that matter. It also helps me to keep a non-alcoholic drink in my hands if I think it might be a hard situation, and like Furb said, keep hydrated (and for me not get hungry).

Hey - you might think of starting a "class of Feb" thread. There is a class of Jan 09 thread which has been really helpful for me - big class!

There is a great support group here so keep posting and reading! :ghug
Old 02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Wes--
Great job on day two. Keep that attitude up and you're going to be a star.
Quick word about smoking: When I was drunk, I would smoke 5-6 a day. I've easily doubled that. I'm on day 5 now. I don't smoke in my house or car, so I would actually have to go outside to have a smoke. Now, instead of reaching for a drink, I'm reaching for my dog's frisbee or leash for walks, and romps in the backyard--and I take a smoke with me.
Eventually the smokes will go away too--but one vice at a time. Drinking was the immediate one. Just my experience.
Have a good day, and Congrats on a sober morning. Aren't they great?
Old 02-06-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

great to hear so much openmindeness and willingness...trucker
Old 02-06-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, they are great Wombat. It felt great to wake up this morning at 6 and reach for anything except a bottle of water. I woke up knowing the day, the time, and just all around in general a good mood.
Wes
Old 02-06-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For what it's worth.......

Well, two days are better than none !
Good work !!
Early on I craved and ate gallons of ice cream.
A Doctor in AA told me it was ok and it helped with the sugar deprivation.
Of course, I gained 10 pounds, but hey, it was 10 more pounds standing up sober rather than 10 pounds passed out drunk.
LOL

Fasten your seat belt, your in for a interesting ride.
But it's all worth it !

Regards,
D
Old 02-06-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sure it'll be a long and interesting ride D. But will definitely well worth it. And anything that comes my way good or bad, I'm going to have to remember that it's better to go through it sober than it is in my bed drunk or over the toilet drunk. Anything is better sober than drunk. Maybe I should write that down and put it on my wall so I don't forget. lol
Old 02-06-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
BKP

That's awesome, When i started my sober time i did it on my hardest day which was a friday. I accomplished that day and the rest is a little easier. Good work friend.