Notices

High Power Question

Old 02-05-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JTinStLouis

High Power Question

Hello All,

I have been sober a little while now with a combination of AA, family and SR for the most part. I go to quite a few meetings and attend a weekly small group as well. I often hear others in AA talking about how they are able to surrender so many things to their higher power and let many things be handled in that matter. I fully understand that I have no control over alcohol and drugs in my life and surrender to that, I further feel that my higher power allows me to surrender the fact that I cant control that. What I dont seem to get yet or be able to do well is surrender other parts and/or concerns in my life which to me is OK I still feel I am responsible for my recovery and treat it accordingly.....just looking for others opinions and thoughts on the matter.

JT
Old 02-05-2009, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me, personally, I surrender just about everything I have no control over, which is a lot.

I have almost 23 months of recovery. I am still dealing with a lot of consequences from when I used. I've had near-meltdowns, worrying about how I'm going to handle some of them. The worrying got me nowhere, time after time.

I began applying the "let go" tactic to every day life. For example, I wait tables. Every week, I would panic about whether or not I was going to make enough money to pay bills. And every week, somehow, I would make just enough. So I just decided to stop worrying...to let go.

I guess, to me, dealing with everyday life IS part of my recovery. If I'm stressed about something, I'm not in a good place. I won't say I never get stressed, but the sooner I am able to "let go" of a stressful situation, the better off I am.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-05-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Where are you with your step work? Every time I formally submit to the process I clearly see how my life run on self will is in constant collision with someone or something.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JTinStLouis

I am working the steps again now for the second time and working them different than I did in treatment. I am on step 3 now so here I am. Maybe more maturity in the program will help too. I know self will cannot get it done gave that a go for many years, that coupled with ego is a bad mix

JT