Notices

Coming up on a full 24 hours

Old 02-05-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Coming up on a full 24 hours

In an hour will be my first full 24 hours since my last drink. This will be my first day sober and what I see as the first day of the rest of my life. I signed up on here earlier this afternoon after checking the site out for a while and so far reading more stories and responses on my first post.

So far very minimal withdraw symptoms. Slight shaking of the hands and a little anxious and depressed, but not too bad. The support I've seen and heard on here in just the few hours has been a big help and a blessing. Don't know if I'll go through insomnia that some people say they get or not or know if a tylenol pm is safe to try and help sleep or not. But, either way, I'm gonna work at staying positive and make it through this and it's good knowing that I have a place where I can just type/talk and have people who understand. And it is nice having my first night that I'm not tilting the whiskey bottle up and drinking it like it's water. Hopefully with the help of support there will be one day when it's not a constant thought on my mind of wanting/needing it. And again want to thank everyone so much that have responded to my first post and am thankful to be around people who understand. I think it's helping to keep me sane.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Congratulations on your first day clean and sober!

Glad to hear, so far, the withdrawals aren't too bad. I don't know how much you drink but I hope you are going to have someone with you over the next 48 - 72 hours or so. Not meaning to scrare you, but some people go through serious withdrawals that involve seizures. If you start feeling too bad, please don't hesitate to call 911 and get to a hospital.

You're right, SR is a wonderful place . . .I wish I'd had a computer early in my Recovery so I could have found SR sooner. But, it's all good. I hope you haven't ruled out going to Meetings. Having face to face support is so very important. I don't think anyone can ever have too many support systems.

Welcome and PM me if you ever have any questions or need to vent,
Judy
Old 02-05-2009, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Haven't ruled out meetings...they're something I'd like to get involved in. I just need to find a reliable friend to drive me to and from. I'm stuck out in the country with no license or vehicle. But, definitely worth giving a chance as soon as I can find someone that doesn't mind helping with a ride. And thank you for your response Judy.

Wes
Old 02-05-2009, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Victory is mine!

Wes:

Glad you are here and that you are almost through the first 24! That's where it all starts, the first hour, the first day and then you just work them one at a time after that.

Scott
Old 02-05-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

again Wes.
Judy has given good advice about the physical so I won't add on.
The first few days are tough.
We are all here for you in spirit so you are not alone.
Keep us posted and take care.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am lucky to be staying with my mother and brother for the time being incase of something going wrong and needing help. I'm surprised it hasn't been too bad yet, but maybe it could be a delayed reaction. I suppose it varies from person to person. I didn't drink every day, just the days I could afford to. And those days I would go through a 5th of whiskey straight and a 12 pack in a days time as often as I could. Looking now that I'm sober I'm seeing how much money I could have in my pocket, but I'm glad for making the decision to sober up and grateful I found a place to start with getting the support I could use. Just hoping to get through the next few days the best I can...had some tough withdraws on days I couldn't afford to drink.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Wes

I'm a noob too, just coming up to 2 weeks.

The first couple of days were very rough for me.., Day 3 on it got progressively better, and now coming up 2 weeks, it's like a brand new world!

You're going to love it!

Hang in there, drink lots of water,
and good luck!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Why is a mouse when it spins?

CoF, it probably feels like forever at this point, but keep at it! A new life is exactly the way to look at it and you WILL feel better as the days go by. I felt like i was letting go of a friend, but began to realize my "friend" was doing me less than no favors and only continued to hurt me, my wife, and my life. Stick with SR! These people are truly powerful and will help! Welcome! :ghug3
Old 02-05-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 02-06-2009, 12:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are already great suggestions here. Keep Coming back and let us know how the next 24 hours go.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up congrats

So happy for you to have reached your first 24 hours.... I am on day three and it just keeps getting better... So much non judgemental support to be found here..x
Old 02-06-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good job Wes, the first few days are tough but the hard work is worth it. You gotta be a fighter to win these battles, apparently you are one and have decided to go to battle. Good for you man, congrats.

Welcome here, this forum has and continues to help me greatly these days....and it does get a bit easier....I'm on day 18 and no more withdrawl symptoms....it's comin for ya.

Peace