Notices

Yesterday's high.....

Old 02-05-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Yesterday's high.....

Yesterday I was driving around running errands and a cop pulled right up beside me........normally, I would have had a few beers down me just to get out of the house, and possibly something in the truck. So had this happened I would have gone into EXTREME panic, to the point my hands would shake.
Yesterday? I looked over at him, gave him and a big smile and as he pulled away in front of me I screamed (yes, really) HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't tell you just how good it felt knowing he could not harm me......he could pull me over and I could do the irish jig upside-down and pass his stupid tests........that was so empowering............it felt so good.

I know it sounds kinda trivial........but it used to be one of my greatest fears.........!! Have you guys conquered any fears by quitting?
Old 02-05-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Used to have panic about driving on the highways and through the canyon because of all the semi trucks, but no more. I don't get panicky about driving at all anymore. It was brought on by the alcohol I tend to think and this wasn't driving until the day after I consumed the alcohol. I was still affected.

Congratulations VC! I love all victories we have due to our sobriety.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No, it doesn't sound trivial! It sounds like a real turning point, and something many of us can relate to! It really is nice to look people in the eye now & not be paranoid at what they are thinking.

I know it sounds odd, but I used to think the girl at the liquior store could tell I had been drinking, or people at the grocery store. Here you think you are having a couple to be able to get out the door & "face the world" when in reality it ends up being the cause of your anxeity!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup, same here. I was always nervous driving in the morning. For a long time, I wasn't drunk or actively drinking in the mornings, but with hangovers, I always wondered if I would have passed a breath test. (When I reached bottom, I started drinking in the mornings. THEN, it was bad....)

Now I feel confident again driving. I drive everywhere, in the most conjested inner city areas, or out on the highways. No more sneaking around the back roads. I've also become the designated driver when my husband and I go out to social events. THAT is sure a turnaround!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for this story VC - great victory! It is amazing how many layers of our lives this stuff has penetrated. I would have loved to see his face when he heard your "HI !!!!!"

One for me is knowing that in the AM I don't have the smell on my breath of last night's drinks - just the smell of morning tea.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KindBird View Post
Thanks for this story VC - great victory! It is amazing how many layers of our lives this stuff has penetrated. I would have loved to see his face when he heard your "HI !!!!!"

One for me is knowing that in the AM I don't have the smell on my breath of last night's drinks - just the smell of morning tea.
In all honesty I didn't think people could notice, after all I brushed my teeth & used mouth wash.
It hasn't been since I got sober & started seeing my sister in the morning, even after she brushes her teeth she still smells of Rum! You can totally tell when someone has been drinking alot the day before.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

I don't feel guilty about going to the store anymore. I was always trying to make my wine look discrete. I would buy food I didn't need... pastas, breads etc. trying to disguise my wine to look like it was part of a nice italian meal. Or I would buy flowers and a card so it would look like it was part of a gift. I rotated stores even, but I bought so much wine it was hard not to run across the same cashiers. So I spent oodles trying to be covert, but not anymore. I buy what I need and do so without guilt What a relief!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Originally Posted by prettypoison View Post
I don't feel guilty about going to the store anymore. I was always trying to make my wine look discrete. I would buy food I didn't need... pastas, breads etc. trying to disguise my wine to look like it was part of a nice italian meal. Or I would buy flowers and a card so it would look like it was part of a gift.
You continue to make me laugh......make it look like an Italian meal?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

One time I bought a six pack of smirnoff Ice (hangover fix) at the store at 7am. Said the girls at work and I were celebrating at lunch today!!! Went to the car, puked in the parking lot, drank a smirnoff, went home. UUUGGGHHHH!

I also used to rotate my liquer stores so the people working there would not think I was a drunk.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ugh..Lovin--I know exactly what you mean.
I know the shifts the cashiers work at the Mom n' Pop. Could stock up in the AM, and hit 'em up again in the afternoon, and if I was really goin' strong again before close. Twisted.
My special move would be load up in the morning, and have a buddy pop by later for "some beers". That way--I could get drunk with what they picked up, and have my own special little stash. Wow. I couldn't even make that up.
Ick.