Notices

'Under the influence'

Old 02-05-2009, 02:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

'Under the influence'

..A book I bought last time I was sober. I finally sat and read it cover to cover last night and found it really interesting. Noticed though, that the copy I have is 1981. Is there an updated version at all?

It also reinforced my personal opinion that AA has faults which I'm not prepared to test out. I don't want people to jump down my throat but I'm sure people respect that it isn't for everyone. Just reiterating what I feel.

On day three now, and feeling very positive.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

I haven't read the book but I have been thinking about getting it. Unfortunately I am not much of a reader. I do read magazines but don't usually have the desire to read a whole book. Read maybe 5 in my whole life. Congrats on sticking with it Cool. I think the first little while is the hardest.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi F, it's one of those you could dip in and out of, some chapters may be relevant, some not so. It certainly puts a different perspective on things.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

CM I'm with you on this one. AA is not for me either. I simply would not have time to attend meetings and I am just not into group talking etc. I have seen it work and know that it does work but as you say it's not for everyone. There has to be another way.

I have that book and Beyond the influence, not read either yet.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you coolmummy - day 3 is great.

D
Old 02-05-2009, 02:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Pixy, thanks for your messages - sorry I uselessly didn't reply! Hope all is good with you

It's hard sometimes to try to explain why AA is not the way i want - my eldest daughter keeps saying 'why don't you just go??!!' as if it would be the solution and the sun would dance over the sky as I recover! I will get better though. In whatever way and however long it takes!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

double post - LOL I'll use it to say I've seen a lot of different ways here on SR.
Pick a way to recovery that makes sense or means something to you, and throw yourself into it

D
Old 02-05-2009, 03:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
double post - LOL I'll use it to say I've seen a lot of different ways here on SR.
Pick a way to recovery that makes sense or means something to you, and throw yourself into it

D
I like that Dee thanks x
Old 02-05-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hadn't heard of it. But this is the first time I have ever tried to be sober, prior to this I would have run like the wind from something like that! I would have never let anyone even see me check it out in the libary because I would have to admit I had a problem.

I will look for it my next trip to the libary though. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes Beyond the Influence is the follow-up to the book you read, CM. I go to AA and love it but I won't shove it down anybody's throat. If what you choose is working, that's terrific. I couldn't get sober and stay that way on my own. I needed lots of help.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hi Coolmummy!
You are so funny because I just read half of that book yesterday!! What a goof! I bought it from ebay for 2.99! So far I am on page 111 and I plan on reading more. Boy when you read about all the horrible stuff booze does to you it is enough to scare the crap out of you. My book is copyright 1981 also. I don't know if there is an updated version. As I started reading I realized that some of the dates quoted in their are 1970s stuff. Still I learned alot and hope to finished the book next day or two. I also bought "Beyond the Influence" for 5.00 on ebay and will read that afterward.

Good luck cool mummy! Keep reading.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

didn't know there was a sequel. Will look for that too!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations in your recovery Coolmummy. I have read the book "Under the Influence" and it definitely reinforced the idea that I can do many things in life, but not drinking. No longer an option because of the way it reacts with me. I'm not in a program per se, but I do use SR quite a bit.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great job on day three cool. I've started reading "under the influence" but I'm not a good reader, cant concentrate on it for very long. My copy is also from 1981.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The Legend returns!

Its a fantastic book and makes a lot of sense

I've not read the sequel though yet I need to pick that one up

I don't feel AA is for me either. It just doesn't feel right. I've yet to find anyone on here that tries to ram home their point of view either way though.

I'm sure they lurk somewhere though
Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Resident

Good to see you Wonky. Where have you been hiding?

I went to buy that book and couldn't find it. I will have to keep looking.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've read both Under the Influence and Beyond the Influence. I heard about them on this site. They are both excellent books and really helped me to understand why I should never drink and also helped me to not feel so bad that I was a drunk, it's a physical disease we were born with.
Congrats on day 3, on day 6 here. We can do it!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes to Dee's message - Until I "threw myself into it" - like a full time job, I was not getting anywhere.

Have read Under the Influence - I think the version you have is still the most recent. Good book.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi there coolmummy,

I am at the end of day two, and feeling positive. AA is not for me either, I find the concept of a higher power very difficult to find within me. But I have read many books, not this one though so I will definately give it a go.. I have stumbled on an approach within me that is giving me strenght at present and am hoping that along with support will guide me. x