This was given to me

Old 02-04-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm growing

This was given to me

I am starting to understand more and more that God, my HP, gave this disease to me (my ah alcoholism).

Al-anon has changed my thinking which I LOVE and I realized a while ago that disease was given to me......but I had no idea the extent of what my HP wanted for me until today.

AH told me one of our neighbors had called me yesterday (Remember we are seperated). So I went to call her back today. I was kind of dreading the call cause I thought she was going to try to get info out of me about my and AH seperation.

BUT when I called her she said she had heard (offered her support) and then went on to tell me about her struggles with her husband and how he is an A. While I wasn't surprised, I didn't know the extent of it.

So now I am trying to figure out how I can get her some information about the disease and alanon with out being pushy...and well a codie...lol I didn't ask her about Alanon not sure if she goes? She said they go to counseling together.

So now I need some time to think about what would be appropriate action for me to take right now?

I would appreciate thoughts

this has really got me thinking
Old 02-04-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

I've found that sharing honestly about the impact of alcoholism on my life has opened previously unthinkable, unimaginable relationships with all sorts of people.

Here's what I am discovering: Alcoholism and drug addiction are RAMPANT problems - almost everyone has been touched, in some way, by addiction. Many of those people never share - out of pain or fear or shame.

It is an honor to me to be able to be able to listen to and empathize with another person's pain in this area. I remember when I just needed someone to listen to me.

I usually offer to listen, encourage AlAnon, and tell them about the online resources (such as SR) that are available for support. I don't think it's pushy or codependent to tell someone what has worked for you - but if I find myself repeating advice over and over again, it's a good sign that I'm getting too involved in the other person's process.

Good luck to you, Daisy! I think your neighbor is very fortunate to have such a sweetheart to confide in!

-TC
Old 02-04-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've also found sharing to be therapeutic. I am naturally drawn to people who are honest and real- I've often admired that in other people and wished I could be more that way. Well- the more real I am, the more I find help and friends I didn't know I had available to me! It's freeing to be able to just be me. It's unfortunate that shame kept me quiet for so long. I'm beginning to think that one day I can pay it forward- help others who are dealing with this disease. I suppose I am now by sharing in meetings, listening and offering support there as well as here. Listening and offering support and relating your experiences are invaluable. You and your neighbor are lucky to have each other!