Valentine's Day

Old 02-04-2009, 04:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Valentine's Day

So my exAB lives across the street from me! We have been broken up for a year and a half but I have had 4 run ins with him that have resulted in nothing but hurt since then. WHY then do I want to send him a Vlanetine's Day card? I have done so much work on my codependant self and recovery and am much happier than I have ever been. But my draw to him is still very strong. His drinking is worse than ever and he is basically a hermit in his house. He has no friends, goes nowhere, just stays home and drinks by himself in the dark. I wish I could let him go but i still love him and for some odd reason a part of me wants him back! I hve to make it through VD without contacting him but am worried that I will cave.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

Don't do it! You had the strength to leave, so you have the strength not to cave. Can you stay somewhere else for a few days so you aren't right there across the road from him? You are a good person so you feel for him. You see him alone and without friends and the good person in you wants to help him. But you can't help him. All you'll do is hurt yourself. Just stay strong! You can do it!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((hope))

have you tried writing down a hard core realistic list of the reasons WHY you are no longer with this person?

I know as time passes sometimes the memories of some of the things we dealt with in an active addiction type situation seem to fade - but having a concrete list of those things and really recalling the thoughts, feelings and emotions that I experienced in that relationship usually helps me put things in perspective.
Examples:
Yes, I may be lonely, but I was probably lonely and trying to take care of someone under the influence.
Yes, I may be sad, but before I was sad, scared and being emotional berated.
Yes, I may have feelings for this person still, but before I was my life was consumed with this person and I could have nothing in my life except him/her.

This just helps me acknowledge my feelings but yet also know that where I am today is a much better place and that I don't want to go back to where I was before. It's my HP's way of protecting my Progress but not expecting me to be Perfect.

HUGS to you,
Rita
Old 02-04-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ma'am,
step away from hallmark.

Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I have done so much work on my codependant self and recovery and am much happier than I have ever been.
I can't remember where it is somewhere in the sticky's perhaps? , it is a list of the characteristics of co-dependents,

and one of them (paraphrasing from memory) is that we assign “love” to other feelings: pity, being needed, intensity, pain etc.

I am a sucker for it. I have one friend (and this isn’t a very nice portrait of me and how I operate) who I don’t actually like UNLESS she has made a huge mess of her life, and is a bit depressed and needy and therefore needs me to be a shoulder to cry on etc….

When she’s happy and enjoying life, I find her flighty and insincere and annoying (this says everything about me and my perceptions and nothing about her). Pretty sick huh?

and I've btdt with obsessing about bfs after the relationship has finished taking them back/being unhappy for the same reasons finishing the relationship/being dumped AGAIN, back and forth....

What you have described doesn’t sound like love to me, it sounds like a need to rescue. Sorry if I am way off base. But I have been there, I get a lot of "feel-good" validation when I swoop in and rescue someone. When I think I'm needed. Not sure if this resonates for you.

Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
His drinking is worse than ever and he is basically a hermit in his house. He has no friends, goes nowhere, just stays home and drinks by himself in the dark.
WOW what a catch, I can see how its difficult to resist (the sad thing is of course, I CAN D'oh) tell you what, I'll fight you for him :oP

get together with your female friends, go off for a trip, go to the theatre/cinema/a concert/the beach/up a mountain whatever floats YOUR boat. Valentines day is full of unfulfilled expectations that hinge on the actions of another. He can change his life if he wants to. What wonderful lovely things are you going to do to make your life special?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I mistook feeling sorry for my X for love for a long time.

No offense, but I also clung to things like calling him my "ABF" instead of my "XABF", and called myself adjectives like "hopeful," "angel," "faithful," etc. I thought I'd made progress on my codependency but these things were proof that I really hadn't. I was still giving myself strokes and value based on how well I took care of somebody else, how much I laid myself on his altar.

Consider sending YOURSELF a Valentine's card, or taking yourself to a spa, or take advantage of one of those $39.00 airfares to someplace cool. Until you love yourself, you will keep on fantasizing about taking better care of him than you do of yourself.

There is no good reason to keep pouring your emotions into the bottomless pit of alcoholism. He does not appear to love you in the same way, and that unrequited "love" thing is always a sure sign that our self-esteem is messed up in some way. If only to prove to yourself that you are strong (and to regain pride in yourself), you might want to resist this temptation to prostrate yourself in front of him. That's masochistic, and seems like a giant step backward for you.

Hugs, and strength.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for this thread. For some reason I needed to be reminded of this. I had some strange thoughts about my AH, no stop my XAH, and needed a gentle SR reminder. I think I'll go home tonight and read some of my journal from last year when I left him, explaining the gut wrenching pain I felt for months prior and after leaving.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is EXACTLY why I wrote this thread- I needed ALL of you to tell me ALL of these things! Thank you thank you! I am so glad I have a place to go to where people can really relate to what I am feeling and thinking! You are all dead on and have given me valuable advice I will reread and live until I make it through the awful love day! I will love myself on that day and plan to lavish my beautiful daughters with all the love I would have saved for my xAB! Thank you thank you!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Consider sending YOURSELF a Valentine's card, or taking yourself to a spa, or take advantage of one of those $39.00 airfares to someplace cool. Until you love yourself, you will keep on fantasizing about taking better care of him than you do of yourself.
Brilliant advice GL I really enjoy your calm thoughtful posts.

Hopefulone, you deserve a real relationship. I agree the best place to start is the one with yourself.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi hopefulone
I agree with everybody!! glad you saw the light

I am trying to extend this 50/50 new thing to me. If someone does not smile to me or say hi to me, even if I "know" him, I won't do it either. I won't be nice with people that are not nice to me. I won't care for people that do not care about me.. for any reason that is only theirs. Even if I just keep a handful of people in my life, these relations are way much more satisfactory..

Simple lesson!! I only took 27 years to learn this.
Hugs!!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You all are awesome! Thank you thank you all! I am so glad I found this site! Dreamer- It has taken me 41 years of HELL to finally start thinking about myself first! I am glad you've learned early on!
My 40's are dedicated to me! My codependent self is sure to keep creeping back in, it is a part of who I am, but I don't have to let it rule me!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

anvilhead..thats great.. i dislike anything planned or artificial...

for that day i am planning to watch ALL Brad Pitts movies at home with my manicurist heh.. you are invited hopefulone.

it is great what you said, it rules when you notice your codependent or destructive thoughts and you are able to say to them

you are there
but you are not real
i wont act on you
i wont rehearse you.
i choose something else !!

you are doing very well..