AWWWHHH! I hate being so codependent

Old 02-03-2009, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lost

AWWWHHH! I hate being so codependent

I'm sorry for the title. I just feel like crap this week- and it's only Tuesday! I have left myself slipping back into old habits the last few days and despite knowing better haven't done anything about it. Today I actually started snooping again and as usual, if you look you will find something. Now I am not so frustrated about what I found (it really doesn't matter what it was) but disappointed in myself for getting to this point again. I realize now that I have been getting increasingly stressed and have been over working my brain thinking about my AH. He is done with rehab and seems to be doing well but isn't going to meetings. It's really none of my business but of course the codie is all over it! I don't know why let myself get so upset about this- I really shouldn't be- I need to worry about myself.

I know that the Alanon program and my HP shows me I need patience and I think that is what I have been short on lately. Do any of you ever feel like you start reverting to old habits- like your brain starts turning into your own worse enemy again and you're not sure what to do to slow it down? I know I need to find time for myself to start off (I've been a bit busier/stressed at work the last few weeks) but I'm not sure what else can help.

Does anyone have any suggestions on anything that helps them unwind, refocus and stay on track? I am willing to try just about anything Thanks!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
President

I try to write out goals for myself and then work at finding ways to accomplish them. It sounds corny, but even just small goals help me keep going and have helped me to rebuild some self-esteem and build myself up. It also helps me to remember what the point is in all of constant chaos. I also try to keep looking at the big picture and think about what the real problems are and how I can adjust my life to better include the things that are important to me. I know it sounds vague, but just try writing down what you're trying to accomplish.... things you can actually control and then find a way to make it happen.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by afiet View Post
Do any of you ever feel like you start reverting to old habits- like your brain starts turning into your own worse enemy again and you're not sure what to do to slow it down?
Uhhhh almost every day. Its a battle with myself. I kinda think of it as being similar to the addict - they need the drug and we need to control or even more so we need to know the truth.

It probably took you years to develop these habits - they're not going to go away over night. But you recognize the behavior as being unhealthy and that's a huge step. We're all going to fall back into old ways again - just forgive yourself and move on. The longer you work on it the easier it will get.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know I need to find time for myself to start off (I've been a bit busier/stressed at work the last few weeks) but I'm not sure what else can help.
That really caught my eye. I'm definitely more prone to slipping into old behaviors and thought patterns with HALT (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired) present. Usually I'm guilty of at least one of those, and chances are it's the tired aspect.

Once I recognize that and do what I need to do for myself, even if it's just taking a few minutes to stop everything that I am doing, do some deep breathing, read out of a meditation book, etc., I am better able to get myself back on track.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find that I can slip back to old habits when I get complacent in my own recovery. I have found reading my meditations, literature and sometimes extra meetings helps.

Also, signing onto SR and picking up that 1000 lb phone & calling a program friend. lol
Old 02-04-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found myself slipping over the weekend myself, came here too for some support and suggestions - smart move and both our parts!

Even tho I was disappointed with myself that some things I had worked on were still there, I was also grateful for the clarity to see where I needed work right now. Identifying for me, helps to clarify what I need to do. I came here for validation and support of what *knew*, got some much needed support, took an inventory as Freedom suggested above, and spent some time on me.

I hope something gives you some ideas how to take care of YOU. Sometimes that's all we need, a jump start getting our brains going in the right direction (so hard to do when it's spinning).

(((hugs)))