My ex-husband is addicted to oxycontin

Old 02-03-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My ex-husband is addicted to oxycontin

The first year of our marriage he was addicted to crack which led him to missing in action and me putting him out the house every other week. I went to rehab classes, church etc. Christmas of 2006 was when I couldn't take it no more. He left Dec. 22nd and I didnt see him again til dec 24th. I packed me and my daughters things and moved out (something I never did b4). After constant reassurance that he would never touch it again, we rekindled our marriage. About 4 months later he was injured during a fence installation and was prescribed oxycontin. Well, not even a month later he was crushing and snorting 3 and 4 at a time. He started trading his with other users for stronger ones. His entire life became totally consumed with these pills and other users. I never saw him anymore and when I did he was always nodding off and flipping the mattress because of the excessive sweating. He started disrespecting me for another woman who was one of his user "friends"! He was letting her drive his car he drove hers he took her places etc. I complained for 2 months and he would tell me to "get over it" and "deal with it". It's funny because he told me that he wasnt sexually attracted to me anymore and even though I know I'm a catch, I felt horrible until I did the research. (not getting it up is one of the side effects)! I gave him an ultimatum and told him to eliminate her from his life or I was leaving. He told me to "do what I gotta do" so I left! He wasnt working on the marriage and sobering himself up was the last thing on his mind. He said it's not like he's on crack these were prescribed to him. 1 thing I learned with the crack addiction is that you cant kick the habbit if you dont acknowledge you have one. 5 months later I filed for divorce and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. There's more to a marriage than drug addiction but I would never have had the chance to find that out if I would have stayed in that one. I had to forgive him wholeheartedly so that I could move on. I wish him the best at whatever life has to offer. We tried the friend thing but like they always say "you are who you hang with" so I had to tell him goodbye. If you are someone going through something similiar dont let no one discourage you from seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Take it to God and he will show you the way. It's a sickness and they need all the help they can get but remember our help can also become their weakness. We can hinder them from getting well by ALWAYS being their cushion when they fall. God want them to feel it sometimes, it's called tough love. So, move out of his or her way even if it means to move on!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome to SR, Andesh, I'm sorry for what you have been through, but glad you found us and decided to share.

Many here have been where you are and will be along to welcome you also.

Hugs
Old 02-03-2009, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and thank you for sharing. Hope you'll continue to read and post with us
here!

I've been separated 4 months now from my AH. It's still not easy raising 3 kids on my own, but being without the everyday drama is nice! My sanity is returning.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your response! I'm happy to be a part of this community.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
"Taking the risk to blossom"

Thanks for sharing this Andesh -- I'm trying to end a 27 year relationship with my AH and I really needed to hear this today