Notices

finally getting help

Old 02-02-2009, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

finally getting help

I have been struggling with abuse for quite some time and have recently decided to quit drinking/ising drugs for good. I have some pretty serious problems and now when I drink I can't see with out everything getting blurry right away. My hangovers take like three days to go away and I think my liver has stopped processing the alcohol. Any advice would be appreciated as would any support. I want to avoid the doctor for a bit.

CHeers and thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Sdpablo
Welcome to SR
I am glad you have found us
there is a lot of good support and information here so I hope you stick around
my advice to you is to bite the bullet, and get yourself checked out by a doctor.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Originally Posted by grateful2b View Post
Hi Sdpablo
Welcome to SR
my advice to you is to bite the bullet, and get yourself checked out by a doctor.
I'm with you on this, if it's like that you need immediate attention.
don't put it off.

Pablo, This is a great place for love and support, but we are not doctors. Please get yourself checked out. We are here for you but we know how serious things can be. My prayers are with you in hoping you do what you need to do.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Sdpablo- while I can understand wanting to avoid the doctor, detoxing can be dangerous and your doctor can give you meds to ease you thru the process and keep you safe.

As for quiting, my advice is to mix up your routine as much as possible! Sit is a different chair to watch TV, drink out of a different cup, listen to different music. Whatever you can do to keep you from your former routines.

good luck! you can do this!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If your liver has stopped processing you will get drunk off of one or two drinks, and stay that way for quite a while.

2-3 days for an advanced alcoholic is not unusual, 5-7 is an average detox. However as stressed earlier please see a Dr. Alcohol withdrawals can be fatal, especially if you are on opiates at the same time.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Pablo,

I'm so glad you're here wanting to stop the alcohol and drugs. It can be done if you really want it, and there's certainly a ton of support here.

Please be real with yourself, sometimes it takes more than just wanting it and getting online support. Only you can determine that. We don't know the physical condition of your body or mind. That's why medical support can be instrumental in the beginning for your safety and well being, and face-to-face support can lift you with arms that can't reach out in cyberspace.

Otherwise, there are many, many people who will listen and offer whatever they can to help you. Count me one of them.

Keep reaching out, my friend.

Big hug,
Donna
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ßrêå†hïñg

Yes, I agree. Find a good doctor. Don't play the role yourself.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome sd.
I won't urge you to see a doctor since everyone else always has but------.
I will say I am glad you found SR and you will get as much support you need here 24/7 from caring people in every corner of the world.
Come and read and post often. It has helped me a lot and I am sure it will do the same for you.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hi Pablo,
Welcome to the board. We are all here for support. If you feel like you need to pick up a drink, please just get online here. There is usually someone here to help. I am always here and I know of a few others that just stay on line. I stay on this board until pretty late.

I am so glad I went to the Doctor. He gave me meds and some good advice. Detox can be life threatening...tremors,, seizures..high blood pressure,..nausea.. The doc can give you something to help that, plus he can also take blood work to check for liver problems and a host of other issues.

DO NOT BE ASHAMED TO TELL YOUR DOCTOR WHAT IS GOING ON. Their job is to help you get better not to judge you. Let them do their job.

Go to the bookstore and get "Under the Influence." That may help you in your quest for sobriety. Please do not drink to fix your hangover. You will only prolong it.

Take in lots of:
Water
B vitamins
A good multivitamin
Milk thistle pills (help your liver proccesses) You can get them just about anywhere. I go to GNC.
Try some detox tea (also from GNC)

Stay sober and stay on SR!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Your support is, as always, greatly appreciated. I've been hitting meetings and got hooked up with some great people. My vision is still a mess but can't afford the doc right now. I've been down this road before and God only knows why I fell into the trap again. I'm working hard to make this the LIFE change I have so needed. You're right about the opiates and now I'm feeling that clarity I once knew so many years ago. No farsical pink cloud but just life with all the ups and downs. Again thanks everyone!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Welcome sdpablo. There are a lot of great people here and you will find a lot of support.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome to SR!

Please don't let a Dr. bill keep you from getting checked out. You can go to the emergency room and most hospitals have funds for people if they don't have insurance and/or are on a limited income. I go to a wonderful medical clinic that is based on my income and only pay a very nominal fee to see the Dr.'s there.

Hospitals also will accept payment plans. I know for a fact that as long as you are making regular, monthly payments, even as little as $10 a month, there is nothing they can do to you. Besides, we spent a hell of a lot more than $10 a month on drinking and getting high.

Keep Coming Back,
Judy
Old 02-07-2009, 09:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very true. I'll look into it. You all are a very convincing lot. Thank you :ghug
Old 02-07-2009, 10:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by sdpablo View Post
Very true. I'll look into it. You all are a very convincing lot. Thank you :ghug
That is what we do if it is in your best interest.