Notices

craving sweets!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question craving sweets!

Has anyone else noticed you craved sweets after you stopped drinking? My drink of choice was wine so obviously a high sugar content. I find myself craving soda and sweets which normally I don't crave at all. I know I have read we should stay away from caffeine and sugar to avoid cravings, will it hurt to satisfy my sweet tooth?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes!!!! I never had a sweet tooth. Now that I'm not drinking, I'm wanting sweets every night. Does that mean I'm going to gain weight too??? Yikes!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been craving sweets like a maniac and have gained 20lbs since I quit drinking It sucks and makes me very angry at myself but it is what it is and I'm working on taking the weight off and eating healthier, getting back to working out.

If you indulge just do so in moderation (which I OBVIOUSLY haven't been doing!) Because the more sugar you take in the more you are going to want it...sound familiar? =)

Last edited by Mariposa18; 02-02-2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 02-02-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

YES! I never even had much of a sweet tooth before. I know I'm going to have to deal with it but I need to make sure my head's in the right place because I am NOT going to compromise my sobriety by dieting.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
When I stopped drinking almost 4 fears ago my foods of choice were doughnuts, cookies, peanut butter, and candy bars. I put on 30 lbs. in two months and stayed that way for awhile. Last weekend I started Weight Watchers, I'm averaging a weight loss of a pound per day and I feel great. I'm not hungry and I love the new types of food I'm trying.

Seems to me it's all about the portion sizes and types of food that we eat. I don't have to stop eating sweets, but I've only had them once since I started the diet. I'd prefer a steamed vegetable anyway
Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In the last week, I have made brownies, cupcakes & a cake (granted we had a birthday this last weekend) The difference is, I have eaten some of each of them! I would have NEVER done that before! I would have had some pretels, and vodka/diet & not thought twice about eating sweets.

I just got done telling the boy I want to make cookies this week!! EEK!
I am going to have to start working out to counter act this!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

when my daughter quit drinking, she would get up at night and eat chocolate and other sweets..
Old 02-02-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

oh no!!! this is not sounding good!! At least I am not imagining things.

Anvilhead wrote (sorry, I don't know how to quote just a partial post)
so yeah have a snickers bar, just don't holdup the Snickers TRUCK!
too funny! that is exactly what I feel like doing. This is sad too, because I just recently dropped about 15 lbs and have been very excited about that. Oh well... I will take the weight over the alcohol.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yup.. I never had a sweet tooth til now. I let my dog out in the middle of the night last night and HAD to take a few bites of cake. I never buy cake.. but I did, and I love that it's in the fridge LOL. No weight loss with quitting drinking, just going to the gym a LOT more. Oh and I just grabbed a few hershey's kisses from our Valentine's candy bowl at work.

If we can quit alcohol, we can quit sweets, cuz this is not going away.. been over 6 weeks now and I could still eat candy alllllll day long!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
oh no!!! this is not sounding good!!
I don't even really have a sweet tooth, but found myself raiding the fridge/freezer/pantry for anything sweet or full of carbs. It's slowly tapering off though after almost 4 weeks. Lol, one night I ate a full pint of Ben Jerry's Vanilla Heath Bar Crunch, on another I ate a whole baguette.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never had a sweet tooth when I was boozing but each time I quit alcohol I got one with a vengeance. But have some hope....I lost weight....and I indulged my cravings. The daily ones went away (sort of— I mean I still have them, like right now I want chocolate ice cream) after about six weeks naturally. But I guess I did what Anvilhead wrote I just had the snickers and not the whole truck. Also I have this strange theory that ice cream is not as bad for you as something like sugar candy because it you know has some fat, etc. so it is heartier. In any case it is way healthier than alcohol and it pretty much was my nightly ritual for my first month. Otherwise though I ate pretty healthily, fibrous meals, often, lots of cheese, but that is how I eat. I was taking L-glutamine which is this vitamin/supplement thing that is supposed to help with alcohol/sugar cravings I don't know if it helped though. But honestly I think that if I had tried to white knuckle those cravings it would have made it so much worse and I might have interpreted them at some point as alcohol cravings and gotten myself into trouble. Who knows? Oh yeah, but I am four months in, sugar (chocolate) cravings have greatly subsided although still more of a sweet tooth than ever before, but I think I have lost around 15 lbs without really watching what I am eating, in fact thinking I am eating a ton.

And....stopping the booze will also make your skin look much, much better so you will def look better there. And even if you don't lose weight, I don't exactly know what it is but I lost all this puffiness/bloat in my face and body which is really slimming and makes you look a lot more healthy/good. I am pretty sure this is a common experience among people when they get sober. So even if you put on a few pounds you'll still look amazing, feel amazing, and get to enjoy chocolate which right now (like this second as in I might have to go to the store) sounds so much better than alcohol to me.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Affirmative. Dark chocolate, ice cream, candy bars, coke, pastries, oh hell, anything sweet, even stuff I didn't formerly like - and lollipops - always had to have one stuck in my mouth while watching tv when I first got sober. Those cravings tapered off after a few mos., but I still have them once in awhile.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

me too, I bought some candy at the store for my teen yesterday and opened the mike and ikes in the car. Since when do I eat candy , let alone mike and ikes!

I also take continual handfuls of chocolate chips throughout the day, and I wont even mention the amount of stuff I ate for super bowl either.
I am hoping the cravings for carbs and sweet s go away in a few weeks.

jules
Old 02-02-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
getting there

Me too! You wouldn't believe what I've been eating compulsively... Gobstoppers! Seriously, Freddies has the big movie boxes for like $1, and I buy one pretty much every time I go there. My mouth kind of hurts from all the sugar, but I still want more!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been eating candy like crazy!! I thought for sure (as a beer drinker) that I would just drop pounds when I quit drinking. Nope.. Out came the leftover halloween candy, forget about work with the junk there, plus vending machines. Someone on this site metioned they kept Jello in the house. I meant to pick some up as a low cal alternative.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is so funny!! I had no idea!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

went through the sugar cravings the last time i quit just like ya'll apparently have.

i'm pretty slim 5'11 and a buck 70. but it's not a healthy slim. it's drink a pint of vodka every night slim. you don't see them doing infomercials for that diet.

i don't care if i get up to 200 pounds as long as it's without drink. last spring when i was sober for over 100 days i tore into work on the house like a tasmanian devil. i look forward to the energy again.

and my choice of poison was not chocolate....it was sweet tea. southern boy here.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

MILK MILK MILK!!! Anyone got Milk?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
BKP

ME also, I never wanted sweets in my life, one month sober and I do crave sweets at times. I do not eat a lot of candy but I enjoy M&M's more now days. I still go to the gym everyday but I am drinking coffee by the pot full, I guess it beats drinking all the time and acting like a jackass.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I never ate candy until I quit either........I actually brought a big bag of Skittles to bowling tonight!!! I am also mawing down tootsie pops.........guess it is replacing all the wine!!!!!!! We will all get fat together! LOL....then we will start a weight loss forum!!!!!! ha ha