Notices

looking for info for family member

Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

looking for info for family member

Hello to everyone..
I'm new here and am looking for knowledge.
A family member has had a serious alcohol problem for a few years. Last year we underwent counseling and eventually 5 days of detox. THis year there's been a serious relapse and now the counselors are recommending 28 day residential treatment. They gave us a list of centers in our geographical area (southeast). My question,,,,how do we pick a place to go?? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for in a center? I can list the choices if that would be appropriate and see if anyone has any opinions on any of them. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi spike
Welcome to our recovery forum
I think it would be helpful if you could post the list you have.
Also, as well as the great support here, we have a Friends and Family of Alcoholics support Forum that you might want to visit which could offer you even more specific support.

Heres the link:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 02-02-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OK,
Here's a few of the suggested places:
Fellowship Hall, North Carolina
Pavilion, North Carolina
Willingway Hospital, Georgia
and
Wilmington Treatment Center, North Carolina
Old 02-02-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

This might help on some questiosn to ask each facility:

Hazelden -- Questions to ask an alcohol and drug addiction treatment provider
Old 02-02-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, spikedaball. do you have health insurance? if so, they may be able to help you with a recommendation. also, i don't know if you are going to alanon or aa, but the folks at those face meetings might have some experience with the places near you.

one thing you might want to ask is what kind of family sessions they have. i think those are important. also, you might want to find out what kind of follow up/outpatient etc they offer after the 28 days...

my daughter went to a program that was NOT dictated to 28 days - her first rehab, she was there for almost 90 days. our insurance covered 30 days, and then we had to do it out of pocket. but that was her best rehab experience, she needed the extra days...

just a few thoughts. good luck with your selection. and keep posting! k
Old 02-02-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies...
I've been to some al-anon meetings but I didn't ask about these or other facilities. The one al-anon group that I went to discouraged questions.
But I'll take a look around some more and use the info in the hazeldon link to help with our decisions.

But, if anyone has any specifics on the places that I listed please let me know, pm.

Last edited by Anna; 02-02-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hey Spike,
Make sure they let you look around and see the facility. I almost checked in to a facility and when they refused to let us see what the rooms were like I got real scared. I am glad I left because when I was walking out the door, a cop had someone in handcuffs on their way in. I may have been a drunk but I am a pretty normal person and a professional in my field, and I have never been in trouble with the law. I am not trying to scare you I am just telling you to be careful.

Go to the link Sara gave you. That is the best guide I have ever seen. I wish my husband and I had it when we needed it. Good luck!

BTW I did find outpatient rehab that really helped. Lots of folks just like me who needed to go sober.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm trying to get my family member to evaluate the various places for herself so she can make a decision on were she wants to go. But, she seems reluctant to do it.. She keeps making excuses; will they let me smoke? It's too far from home, I won't be able to see the dogs...on and on. I'm trying to get her to see that she needs to have a positive feeling about going. Anyone have ideas about this?

thanks.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If she is not ready to do this, for herself, then of course she will find reasons not to go. If she is not ready you are wasting your money.

I heard it said once here at SR that there is a note above the AA hotline phone that reads
"If they are not ready you can say nothing right; if they are ready you can say nothing wrong"
I think this applies to your loved one too.