Notices

Sober to take my puppy to the ER!!!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober to take my puppy to the ER!!!

Thank God. This is a happy story. Normally, on a Friday night (or any other night) I would have been drinking (and hence would not have been able to drive to bring her in). My puppy ate a piece of a CD. I called the ER at the Vet hospital and they told me to bring her in. They gave her some food and she vomited up the little pieces of the CD. She is going to be ok!!!

Thank you SR for all your support and you all are part of the reason my adorable six month old Shih Tzu pup is going to be fine!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I was almost afraid to click on to this thread out of fear of bad news. Thank God that wasn't the case.

Now, do you have a picture of your baby for us?

Judy
Old 01-30-2009, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Katie, I'm happy to hear that puppy ER visit went well. I'm sorry to hear about the pup but it is really great that you didn't need to worry about the alcohol thing. Congratulations on the continued sobriety.

I'm sending you some flowers.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is simply awesome!

Glad your hound is gonna be fine,
and also that you were sober and able to save her.

There's an experience you can put in your tool box to think about when
you're getting urges.

Kuddos to you Katie09,
(and I'm sure your puppy agrees!)
Old 01-30-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
I was almost afraid to click on to this thread out of fear of bad news. Thank God that wasn't the case.

Now, do you have a picture of your baby for us?

Judy
Gosh, I'd love to, but I don't know how to do that She is a 7 lb red little shih tzu, if that helps. She has a baby doll face and is precious. Apparently she looked very sad when they made her throw up.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Hi Katie, I'm happy to hear that puppy ER visit went well. I'm sorry to hear about the pup but it is really great that you didn't need to worry about the alcohol thing. Congratulations on the continued sobriety.

I'm sending you some flowers.

Thanks, Ken They say Ruby will be fine. The pieces might have passed, but what if they tore up her intestines? Then I'd be looking at a HUGE vet bill, instead of the $130 it cost me tonight. What if she had died? I NEVER would have forgiven myself. :ghug3
Old 01-30-2009, 09:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richard54 View Post
That is simply awesome!

Glad your hound is gonna be fine,
and also that you were sober and able to save her.

There's an experience you can put in your tool box to think about when
you're getting urges.

Kuddos to you Katie09,
(and I'm sure your puppy agrees!)
No kidding. I am so relieved. I will remember this going forward and not pick up a drink. I'm just grateful for a happy ending. The last time I was at that hospital was for my other dog (who has since passed) and he was there for three weeks and three surgeries.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh Katie, I'm so glad Ruby is Okay. What a wonderful thing it is. Fills me with....I don't know....warmth or something. I'll send you a PM tomorrow. This boy is callin' it a day.

Back atcha with the hugs!!:ghug3
Old 01-30-2009, 09:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Katie, so glad puppy is going to be ok!
So glad you got to be there for her & feel ok to drive & help her!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ToABetterMe View Post
Katie, so glad puppy is going to be ok!
So glad you got to be there for her & feel ok to drive & help her!
Yeah, it's a pretty good feeling to have been there and had my wits about me. If I'd been drinking maybe she would have eaten more of the CD and not been ok. I am still a little worried, even though the Dr. said she'll be fine. This sobriety thing ain't so bad.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I bet Puppy thinks so too! Way to be there when needed!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Resident

As everyone else said this is great. It was a big test and you passed with flying colors.

This should be a lesson to us all that if we are in a position of responsibility for someone or some animals well being we better not be smashed. I know none of us will be smashed again but if you do get the demon clling make sure you are not in this position. It is another good reason not to drink.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Katie, my dear....

When they say "We've got the music inside us"... Apparently, so does the puppies!! LOL!

I'm really happy all turned out for the two of you! Since my babies are grown-up now... I have my faithful lil dog, Shiloh (although he's not too too small - more medium) and I'd do ANYTHING for that pooch of mine! Dogs (cats don't do much for me personally - to each their own) have a way of melting me to mush! I just love 'em, especially my lil guy! They're just part of our family, huh?!!!

You didn't feel it "neccessary" to pick up a drink over this, good job GF! Thank God you weren't drinking before this happened either! You are showing up for life these days! What a great feeling, huh!!!

xoxoxoxo, Nicki:ghug3
Old 01-30-2009, 10:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nickishine View Post
Katie, my dear....

When they say "We've got the music inside us"... Apparently, so does the puppies!! LOL!

I'm really happy all turned out for the two of you! Since my babies are grown-up now... I have my faithful lil dog, Shiloh (although he's not too too small - more medium) and I'd do ANYTHING for that pooch of mine! Dogs (cats don't do much for me personally - to each their own) have a way of melting me to mush! I just love 'em, especially my lil guy! They're just part of our family, huh?!!!

You didn't feel it "neccessary" to pick up a drink over this, good job GF! Thank God you weren't drinking before this happened either! You are showing up for life these days! What a great feeling, huh!!!

xoxoxoxo, Nicki:ghug3
Thanks, Nicki sweetie

Had I been drinking - even a few - I would have had to call a cab to bring us to the hospital, as I wouldn't chance a DUI (and then what if it took the cab a long time to get here and she didn't have the pieces in her stomach still...) Who knows if a cab would take a little dog? I dunno. At any rate, the thought of drinking after this didn't even cross my mind, as I am just so dang grateful I was "present" to take her in. I know what you mean about doing ANYTHING for your doggie. I am like that too. :ghug3
Old 01-30-2009, 11:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

YAY!! I am so happy for you and your sweet puppy. I'm glad she's going to be ok. The things our pups will eat!! I have a shih tzu, too:

LOL!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too am glad to be sober so I can take better care of my dogs. One has special needs and if I were drinking I might not notice certain 'red flags' in his behavior. So being sober I can be a better dog mom to them.

Good for you! I'm glad to hear the pup is ok!:ghug3
Old 01-31-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you and good for your puppy!

I can't imagine that pieces of a CD would taste good!
Old 01-31-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nice one Katie! Another great reason to stay sober:-)
Old 01-31-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
Normally, on a Friday night (or any other night) I would have been drinking (and hence would not have been able to drive to bring her in)
Me too Katie. Nothing makes appreciating sobriety like being in an emergent situation and being able to take care of it. I'm proud of you I'm glad everything turned out well for you and the puppy (I can't believe some of the things puppies will eat!)
Old 01-31-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Resident

[QUOTE=nickishine;2086829]Katie, my dear....

It is good to see your sense of humor coming out. That must mean things are getting better.