Notices

Survived the wine dept. today

Old 01-30-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Survived the wine dept. today

Hi All,

Went to my part-time job today, most of which involves the wine department. I actually survived it! It really did not bother me.
Usually I would leave at night with a couple bottles in tow, today I left with 2 candles and a bag of chips!

I did crave a beer on the way home, but the thought passed pretty quick........

Tomorrow is my first landmark.......the one weeker (for real this time!!)

Hope everyone had a strong day and have a peaceful night.

:ghug2
Old 01-30-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WHO-HOO~~
So proud of you!

I'm having a night that I am sure I have heard in my head 50 times, "who would know if I just took a couple of pulls off his bottle?"
Then I have to yell in my head "YOU, YOU WOULD KNOW & THEN YOU WILL FEEL LIKE
SHAT!!"
Old 01-30-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

That's right, YOU will know.........distract yourself with something.....you really don't want ME to be ahead of you on days do you????? LOL

You know what one of the good parts of work was today? Not worrying about alcohol on my breath. Not sucking down 3 beers on my 15 minute break.....not pounding down gum to hide that fact........keeping a distance from my co-workers & customers......it was so much more relaxed.......no anxiety over it, no guilt......wow.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

viciouscycle, I remember those days so well. I used to pray to get past the liquor store and I had to pass 2 just to go home to work.
I am glad to say that today, I go can drive right by and not even look or think about it.
Congratulation on your 1wk. I am sure you can keep it up if you just work the program.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
You know what one of the good parts of work was today? Not worrying about alcohol on my breath. Not sucking down 3 beers on my 15 minute break.....not pounding down gum to hide that fact........keeping a distance from my co-workers & customers......it was so much more relaxed.......no anxiety over it, no guilt......wow.
Not having to go to the bathroom three times in a half hour...
Old 01-30-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

LOL......I became somewhat of a camel over the years!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

The older I get, the less I'm able to do that...
Old 01-30-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Good deal... I couldn't find a dancing bag of chips so you'll have to settle for Elmo bustin a move for ya. lol

I've got a few years in and just to let you know, it does get a whole lot easier. Although I am an alcoholic, my DOC was opiate pain pills. I moved my Mom in with me back in Sept. and along with her came her pharmacy of pills which includes my two former favorites. But ya know what? They no longer have a voice, they're no different now than her blood pressure meds or insulin. God has removed the obsession.

I just looked over to my nightstand at my little candle I have burning and I imagine I will think of you for awhile when I light it.

God Bless & Proud of You,
Judy
Old 01-30-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh I remember when we would stand around in the wait station & pass around the "water bottle" & then serioiusly swallow a little mouth wash to cover the smell, oh yes I am sure the customers never knew, we were sooooo sneaky!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A camel?
LOL
Good going today VC!

1 week for you now!!

My wife called me on the cell while I out today and
asked me to pick here up some beer.

So I did.

Went to the liquor store and bought her beer.
They were giving out free samples of 16 year old Scotch.
"No thank you".

Didn't bother me at all.

Wife drank 11 beers so far.
Hmmmm.
Not bothering me at all.

I'm on the hard stuff myself.
Mango/Tangerine & Cranberry juice, over ice
In my big beer mug.
100% real juice.

Have a good (sober) evening!
No hangover tomorrow, yippie!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Taunts are everywhere aren't they? Free scotch? Geeeeez. It will get easier as we solidify new patterns and habits I suppose.....

I just looked over to my nightstand at my little candle I have burning and I imagine I will think of you for awhile when I light it.
God Bless & Proud of You,
Judy
[/CENTER][/QUOTE]

Judy, I do the same thing when I light a candle. I say a prayer for everyone here to stay strong. Isn't that neat?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have to endure "the wine dept." pretty much anytime I need to go grocery shopping. There is a huge wine section in the middle of the store and I have to walk through it everytime to get toilet paper, toothpaste, etc.
It's very tempting at times, but I just try to run it through my head what will happen when I get the urge to 'linger' around it.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaDita View Post
I have to endure "the wine dept." pretty much anytime I need to go grocery shopping. There is a huge wine section in the middle of the store and I have to walk through it everytime to get toilet paper, toothpaste, etc.
It's very tempting at times, but I just try to run it through my head what will happen when I get the urge to 'linger' around it.
I have to say that is the one advantage of MN, No alcohol sales any where except Liquior stores. All stores close by 10pm & closed all day Sunday.
So unless I am making a seperate trip to the liquior store I don't have to look at it.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Resident

Way to go VC. It must have been hard but you made it.
This thread reminded me of an old friend of mine who worked at the beer store part time. When he got his pay he took it in beer instead of cash. He gave them the check and he gave him the equiv in beer while his kids were going hungry. It was quite sad.
Anyways
Old 01-31-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Wonderful!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Way to go VC and thanks for putting this story out to us. I avoid the old places I used to buy - but I am only 20 days in and really playing it as safe as possible

Richard54 - reading about you buying your wife beer etc - wow, that would be hard for me right now. I am going to try that drink you like - sounds great! must be powerful stuff!